1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peckham Levels: Pop Brixton team takes over Peckham's iconic multi-story car park

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Nov 6, 2015.

1. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Palaces of consumption for the middle classes are what brings in the commissions for the likes of CTA and "The Collective" - that and constructing a myth of edginess around their sanitised, safe palaces.

Gramsci and editor like this.
  2. ViolentPanda

It would. It would probably also have assured Peckham's predominance as the place for middle class wanna-be Bohemians to aim themselves at, focusing a wave of "creatives" on Peckham's housing. Most of the artists in the studios would probably need to commute in. :(

3. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Worth remembering Camberwell and Goldsmiths art colleges are both within a mile of that car park... And LCC is up the road in Elephant... Long history of young artists moving around Peckham

4. ska invita

The idea of Brixtonites turning up in Peckham meaning gentrification makes me laugh\ cry though....

not-bono-ever and snowy_again like this.
  5. Yup. There have been artists in se15 for like forever. How artists can afford to live there now, I have no idea.

ska invita likes this.
  6. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

I will wait to see the plans before passing comment. A scheme for artists studios was turned down in favour of a scheme that includes artists studios. We need to know what proportion of the various uses is planned.

By the by, car parks have very low headroom and very deep floor plates with limited natural light. I can't imagine a worse building type to convert into studios.

EDIT: I predict studios around the perimeter, with shared-use workshops etc in the middle. Retail/food/drink at ground and roof.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
    equationgirl and teuchter like this.
  7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Artists often find themselves in less than ideal studios, but are generally grateful for any affordable space. Looks like that's going to be at a premium in the area, what with all the grazing and nibbling units that will be moving into Pop Consumerism II.

Gramsci likes this.
  8. Crispy

Do you have some information regarding the balance of uses in the proposed scheme?

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The Guardian reported: "Southwark opts for rival proposal from Mayfair-based property developer that includes only 50 artists’ spaces in Peckham multistorey"

"Southwark council has rejected plans that would have transformed a multistorey car park in south London into 800 affordable artists’ studios."

"He and Barry were adamant that the community of Peckham would have benefited from their plans, which included paying Southwark council £200,000 a year in rent. Artists in residence would have had to pay just £100 in rent a month, and they claim the plans would have supported 2,500 local jobs – compared with the 600 generated by Pop Collective’s proposal."

And we all know what Pop and The Collective are about

10. Crispy

Aaaaah. ok. 50 is very low considering the size of the building :(

11. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Local authorities have no money. 60% cuts to budgets, and are limited in the money they are allowed to raise. Will be reduced soon to running statutory services only.

In that context it's understandable why Southwark might choose a scheme that brings in more money.

discobastard and leanderman like this.
  12. ViolentPanda

True, but it was always a bit more random - small clumps of studios down back-streets, or squatted warehouses and the like that Southwark Council didn't bother. Things started going tits-up for artists when Peckham started to see large-scale demolition and "regeneration" in the last 10-20 years, and a lot of (official and unofficial) community spaces were lost. Same as Brixton, really.

Gramsci and DietCokeGirl like this.
  13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

In an extremely short-sighted, community-stripping sense, yes. The amount of money Pop/Collective might provide to Southwark will be peanuts in the grand scheme of things anyway.

14. ViolentPanda

Sadly, some local authorities are already pruning statutory services back as far as they think they can get away with. :(

15. ViolentPanda

As I tried to explain on a visit to a Southwark estate on Monday, local authorities are (and don't really have any choice unless they have reserves) forced into short-term money-making agreements based on a need for "ready cash" to support the services they have to provide, so pay very little attention to the long-term social or financial benefits a deal might have. I explained Lambeth's viability exercises for their Cressingham project, and how much it could put in the coffers now, against how much it would cost Council Tax/Business Rate payers in the long (30-50 years) term. They were horrified that Lambeth might get away with that.

Gramsci likes this.
  16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Southwark council would have loads of cash if they hadn't been criminally incompetent over the handling of the sale of the Heygate Estate.

Cowley, Hoss, equationgirl and 4 others like this.
  17. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

18. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

19. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

20. clandestino

clandestino no llevar papel

Just come on here to post that story! Fucking hell, no sooner has Pop Brixton's scheme been approved then gentrification ramps up a gear. They're like the grim reaper of twatishness.

Gramsci, Maharani, Rutita1 and 2 others like this.
  21. ska invita

22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Oh for FUCK'S SAKE.

23. ska invita

BTW if anyone fancies this
    [​IMG]
    "
    ACID HOUSE, CHICAGO HOUSE, DEEP HOUSE, DUB HOUSE, ELECTRO HOUSE, HARD HOUSE, TECH HOUSE, TRIBAL HOUSE, VOCAL HOUSE.. BAAAD HOUSE MUSIC!
    trevor fung ● fabio ● grooverider
    DONS of the UNDERGROUND music and club scene from the 1980's Pirate Radio days all DJ roads led to one ofLONDON'S most iconic nights in the 90's.. RAGE in the dark arches and tunnels of Charing Cross at HEAVEN."
    BOOTLEG PRODUCTIONS at Bussey Building

I will be going for my 40th birthday - would be lovely to see you there

Before its too late :(

Cowley likes this.
  24. ViolentPanda

Yep, a minimum of high end of 8 figures, lower end of 9 figures, apparently. Southwark either got played, or elements inside the council gave Lend Lease an easy ride, and exactly the same will happen in every local authority that runs a "demolish then rebuild" scheme.

25. ViolentPanda

I may just nick that! :)

clandestino likes this.
  26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

27. ska invita

Who has done that ed?

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The doing-very-nicely-ta Carl Turner Architects, the uber-capitalist Collective and Southwark. Double G&Ts all round!

ska invita likes this.
  29. ska invita

Sorry if I'm being slow, is that website related to the Pop Brixton of the op?

30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's a different project but the same team as Pop Brixton.