1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peckham Levels: Pop Brixton team takes over Peckham's iconic multi-story car park

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Nov 6, 2015.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Gramsci likes this.
  2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

what's so iconic about this car park?

3. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

It has a hipster bar at the top

4. Pickman's model

Gramsci, cuppa tee and Belushi like this.
  5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Frank's bar says that it is.

Gramsci likes this.
  6. Pickman's model

right.

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

And here it is! Lovely views, mind.

[​IMG]

8. Pickman's model

very representative of the local population.

Gramsci likes this.
  9. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

There goes Peckham. :(

10. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

It already happened, about 5 years ago.

11. Belushi

Yeah, Peckham's been the new Dalston for ages now

12. clandestino

clandestino no llevar papel

I was in Peckham last Friday afternoon - the place is absolutely bonkers. Lively old school south London high street, with pockets of hipster stuff dotted around here and there, and then as you walk towards Bellenden Road suddenly it becomes super posh and you've walked through the looking glass into Dulwich, with dog grooming parlours and the like.

I liked the high street a lot - so much energy and life. It was so....vibrant! *KLAXON*

This multi-storey car park will up the hipster quotient of course, but hopefully it'll be in the style of the Bussey Building rather than Pop Brixton. Which can just fuck off back to Clapham, frankly.

13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Statement from one of the bids that lost out to the all-conquering Collective/Pop team:

Gramsci likes this.
  14. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I've only been to that car park once about three summers ago. The roof level was pleasant enough though the bar and its clientele were very much what people here would describe as 'nu-Brixton'. There were some artworks and artefacts on displayed around the place, including a vintage (well, 1960s anyway) car cut in half and whatnot.

The whole setting was a big disconcerting. It is a massive car park that at the time at least was not in proper use but accepted cars. We happened to be in a car so drove up level after level until we could no more. The place was mostly deserted of cars or people. Finding a lift or stairs that went all the way to the roof proved surprisingly difficult, and frankly it didn't feel very safe. But I guess those who arrived on foot and took a lift from the ground level had a much easier journey to the top.

The level immediately below the roof also has a couple of art exhibits going on, including a small room lined with hay.

The entire square footage of the place is massive. It'll be interesting to see if they have any plans for all the other levels. Very few cars use the venue and banning them altogether would not be much of an issue regarding parking availability in Peckham.

15. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

That's a bit of a weird statement. Two of the people who put their name to it are from Second Home. Second Home describe themselves thus:
    They're just as corporate.

twistedAM likes this.
  16. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

I was on top of the downs by Avebury the other afternoon and encountered a gent from Tottenham, his PoV was that we are now facing unprecedented predatory stalking by serious money, wondering now if there's any room left in St Leonard's cos this town looks less and less like somewhere I will fit .......

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  17. goldenecitrone

goldenecitrone ubi sunt

They paved paradise, put up a parking lot, until some hipsters came along and turned it in an artist's paradise again. Bastards.

salem likes this.
  18. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Bit mystified about this. I thought Avebury was like Stonehenge.
    And St Leonards was like Hastings??

Or were you explaining Rushy? In which case is it possible to be more explicit?

19. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

I wasn't aware of downs near Avebury. Seems pretty flat around there. Apart from Silbury Hill

20. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I think this was a psychedelic hipster post.

21. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

You lot should be watching Babylon Freeview ch8
    It has unreconstructed railway arches, proper music and proper patois (not rhyming rap).

Everything POP isn't.

22. 299 old timer

299 old timer Well-Known Member

Will it have a raised bed of aubergines?

23. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Rohan Silva was until quite recently a Special Advisor to David Cameron.

mango5 likes this.
  24. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

A group in Peckham is developing its own High Line disused railway project. I think they intend to be cornering the food growing.

25. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

So the people who lost out are a corporate version of impact hub from Shoreditch led by ex advisors to Cameron?

Regardless of who won, it's hard to cry too many rivers for them.

twistedAM likes this.
  26. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

I'm feeling the worst for this thread...

Tricky Skills and Dan U like this.
  27. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

No....but they might have hand reared cross thread beef for those that can't get enough of it here.

ViolentPanda, DietCokeGirl and editor like this.
  28. Belushi

29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Shameful stuff really. Give the artists nowhere to work and you'll be left with just more palaces of consumption for the middle classes.

Gramsci and Belushi like this.
  30. Belushi

800 affordable artists studios would have really been something.

innit, Gramsci, 5t3IIa and 2 others like this.