1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peaky Blinders series 4 starts tonight at 9pm

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by danny la rouge, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

I bought a pair of their black parade boots with a rubber sole for £50. Awesome outdoor boots. Their all leather boots were too much at £180 but they are for life and can easily be resoled if they ever need it. They also make foundry boots which look pretty out there. The Japanese love their stuff. Sorry for the derail. I do like a good pair of boots. Santa...

LynnDoyleCooper likes this.
  2. The Fornicator

The Fornicator Well-Known Member

BOOOOM!

Tommy Shelby MP OBE

3. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

HAaaahha that was totally ridiculous and awesome. They managed to fit quite a lot into that last episode. Primed for the next series to be an election special, sweeping corbyn to victory.

cupid_stunt and felixthecat like this.
  4. Red Sky

Red Sky It was like that when I got here.

Enjoyed it but for my money the weakest season yet. Everything that was innovative and stand out from the first season, the anachronistic soundtrack , the slow walking montages etc just feels pretty formulaic now.

The Season 3 cliffhanger was just kind of dispensed with. Why were they all nicked in the first place, let alone sentenced to death. Tommy wangling presumably royal pardons for them all implies that he's already operating at a level way beyond Changretta's little gang.

The dodgiest element has to be the treatment of the General Strike and particularly Jessie Eden. This is an obvious danger when mixing historical fact and fiction but I didn't like the way that this real woman was turned from a communist firebrand (who stood for election for the CP herself) into a simpering adjunct for Tommy's ambition and a grass to boot.

5. The Fornicator

I read it as Tommy Shelby being a useful idiot for the cause. Eden doesn't trust him but wants him to believe otherwise, as does he.

6. Red Sky

Red Sky It was like that when I got here.

It would have been fair enough if Eden had been a composite character with a different name I think. But she's depicted as being part of Shelby's Labour election campaign when she was in real life in the CP.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  7. The Fornicator

You think those two things are mutually exclusive in the 1920s.

8. danny la rouge

danny la rouge The Elders of the Internet know who I am

The ending was rushed, and not very clear. But I read it that some in the CP, including Jessie Eden, think Tommy is a CP infiltrator in the Labour Party. (What Tommy thinks he can achieve is not yet clear).

I didn't think Jessie was depicted as being part of Tommy's election campaign.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  9. Smokeandsteam

Smokeandsteam Well-Known Member

I thought the end was hilarious.

I think those getting hung up about the extent to which characters are properly drawn or the development of the story arcs are missing the mark. The entire premise of the show is about as credible as the accents!