PCN for driving in a bus lane on a Bank Holiday

Discussion in 'transport' started by Maggot, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

I recieved a Penalty Charge Notice for driving in a bus lane. The lanes hours are (IIRC) Mon-Fri 4-7pm. I drove in this lane on New Years Day, assuming the Bank Holidays don't count. But I'm not sure if they do or not. Should I appeal against this?

2. Throbbing Angel

Throbbing Angel Wakey, Wakey, Eggs & Bakey!

Always challenge.

It might be somebody's last day and they could be giving everyone a freebie!

Riklet, Spymaster, Badgers and 3 others like this.
  3. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

Just got a ticket for doing 25mph on Lea Bridge Rd. Can’t believe how I got up to that speed on that excuse for a road.

4. 8115

8115 sitting down is bad for you

Don't do the crime, etc.

Only joking. I would appeal.

5. IC3D

IC3D Post Mid Arc

London rules different in some places innit

Ax^ likes this.
  6. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Well, “find out” would seem to be a good starting point before making any appeal.

dervish, ddraig, Spymaster and 4 others like this.
  7. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

According to this (barking & dagenham, which was the first one to come up on a search) the restrictions still apply on bank holidays.

You may want to see what the website of the relevant local council says (although some main roads in London are TFL not local council roads - TFL page doesn't go in to days of the week and what bank holidays count as)

Miss-Shelf, Celyn and Maggot like this.
  8. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Finding out is not as straightforward as you would think actually. And it doesn’t do any harm to appeal- nothing to lose at this point.

I’ve always felt boroughs play it fast and loose when it comes to both bus lanes and parking on single yellow lines during Bank Holidays. Their street signs certainly don’t shed any light on the subject one way or another.

Badgers and Maggot like this.
  9. Callie

Callie Pivoting

I would imagine it still applies because parking regulations are shit like that.

Badgers likes this.
  10. phillm

phillm Trolling through Life (TM)

good to know that I had laboured under the illusion that they were advisory and not legally enforceable. I now know better.

Are 20MPH limits legally enforcable? - SABRE

Smick likes this.
  11. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Appealing and losing means paying double if not more Ime. I've appealed and won several times but only when I felt I was in the right.

12. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

This - The Pepipoo forum is the place to get help.

Sign-up using something other than a Hotmail addy, read the introduction posts and be ready to post all the info they ask for in the correct forum - normally at least a scan/image of the ticket/NTK with identifying info/serial numbers redacted and see what they make of it. :)

13. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

There is a stretch from Chatsworth Rd to the Lea Bridge Roundabout that is now 20mph, you can speed up to 30 on the roundabout :hmm: I got done a few months ago :( they were offering speed awareness courses that cost more than the fine but no points .

Badgers and Pickman's model like this.
  14. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

What? Not for ordinary bus lane infractions- not in London anyway. So long as you appeal within the reduced charge 14-day period, you will pay no more than the reduced charge if you lose the appeal. So literally nothing to lose.

It might be different for more serious infractions (speeding etc), but as far as parking or bus lane infractions go, so long as you log in the appeal within 14 days of the PCN issue date, you’ll always pay the reduced rate at worst.

Spymaster and Pickman's model like this.
  15. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

you might well be right...i guess it will say on the ticket

16. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Don’t quote me on it without checking, but it certainly used to be the case in Chelsea and Lambeth, the two boroughs where i’ve contested fines. It was a while ago though, so deffo worth double checking.

17. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

This was in Bromley Borough. They issued the PCN.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  18. dessiato

dessiato Maholo e ke akua no kei la

I'd guess that the system is geared up to issuing tickets based on the day of the week rather than whether or not it's a bank holiday. I'm thinking about the signs I've seen back home. I don't recall any saying anything about public holidays.

If it's not going to cost you anything, challenge it. If you win it's a plus, if you don't you pay the same penalty.

Badgers likes this.
  19. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

Buses were running a Sunday service on New Year's Day. Convoluted argument for driving in the bus lane?

20. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

The appeals system/tribunals for this kind of stuff don't do convoluted arguments - Factual/technical/procedural concerns rule their day.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    muscovyduck and Badgers like this.
  21. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

I had to check what the parking rules/charges were around here (Islington/Hackney border) for bank holidays over Christmas, treated like any other day apparently. It seems a bit tight as the rules would have been set originally to limit parking or bus lane use on working days, and it's especially unfair around Christmas week when nobody knows what day of the week it is.

There is one anomaly here which will catch me out one day. The road to the west of the flat is in Islington which charges for parking on a Saturday morning, to the east it's Hackney and that's free all weekend. One day I will bring the car here on a Friday night and forgetfully park it on the wrong road.

22. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I know this is obvious, but unfortunately the signs say Monday to Friday. They make no mention of excluding bank holidays. Crazy, yes, but it's the law innit.

Magnus McGinty likes this.
  23. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Elephants think I’m cute #brap

24. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

existentialist and Maggot like this.
  25. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Not if you pay it as soon as they reject the appeal.

26. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

While speaking about driving legal stuff, does anyone know the rules for speeding tickets?
    Does it have to be received within 14 days of offence or 14 working days?
    When can my colleague stop holding his breath and watching his door mat?

27. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

When he stops speeding!

Magnus McGinty, BigTom and dessiato like this.
  28. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

He assures me it was a one of on Christmas Day, bearing in mind he lives and works in Central London and doesnt get to drive outside London much.

29. existentialist

existentialist It could always be worse.

AIR, it has to be SERVED within 14 days. And putting it in the post counts as service. These people know how to turn the screws...

hash tag likes this.
  30. killer b

killer b Gazing vacantly at a plate of mince

The ANPR for bus lane enforcement is often farmed out to a private company IME, so while it's worth challenging, they are unlikely to let you off unless there's a specific technical / legal reason why you should. A council who is responsive to it's voters might be more likely to be flexible - not so the private contractors who operate these schemes who have no interest in losing revenue unless they absolutely have to.

pogofish likes this.