1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question PC/Mac NAS drive back ups

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by skyscraper101, May 4, 2016.

1. spitfire

spitfire Toast

2. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

I've got a Synology NAS and it handles Time Machine backups fine from an iMac and a MacBook.

It you are backing up laptops then you can backup over Wifi rather than having to plug the laptop in to an external drive (which I'm guessing your wife wouldn't do if she doesn't back up already).

You can set TM to alternate backups as well so you can have more than one location.

spitfire likes this.
  3. spitfire

spitfire Toast

Cheers Winot good to know. Have had to put it on the backburner for a couple of weeks so may have another look at the Synology when I'm flush again.

Winot likes this.
  4. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

My wife has a Macbook and she is useless at backing it up regularly so I have a WD 4TB MyCloud NAS plugged into one of the routers and have set up Time Machine on her Mac to do an automatic incremental backup, Mostly it works fine but since she normally connects by WiFi, I had to buy an Ethernet to USB adapter and do the first full backup across that, otherwise it would take about 20hrs over the WiFi for the first backup.
    Occasionally it gets mardy and requires a fresh full backup which needs to be done via the aforementioned device, I had to configure the NAS to restrict the maximum amount of space Time Machine could use otherwise it would never purge backups and just fill up the NAS.The Macbook also has no problems seeing public folders on the NAS either so make it easy to share stuff between it (the only Mac in the house) and the various PC's and laptops that everyone else has.

spitfire likes this.
  5. spitfire

spitfire Toast

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I bought a Synology ages ago and for various reasons stopped using it. I found the interface fiddly and there appeared to be no automated easy-peasy way to back up my zillions of photos. I guess things have improved now, so has anyone any tips?

7. Piers Gibbon

Piers Gibbon Well-Known Member

useful thread..thanks all

I have a QNAP TS-453A...takes the time capsule backups and backs everything up to amazon

(I had an older one that's no longer supported so upgraded and gifted that to a colleague)

8. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

Take a look at Cobian Backup it is not only free it can cope with NAS attached storage

editor likes this.