Paying your tax with credit cards

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by DexterTCN, Jan 4, 2018.

1. 8ball

8ball Most Ignoreable Poster 2016

More likely to catch some people out, publicise it, then pretend they're dealing with tax dodgers.

2. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

8ball likes this.
  3. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Fuck. Just done my first tax return. Massively got things wrong in my head. By order of about a grand. And am now to late to pay by credit card. My over draft will just about handle that, but I'm not repaying that anytime soon and by missing the deadline I've lost the easy option of just doing a balance transfer to a 0% card. Still possible in a way I guess, but harder and more expensive. Feeling like a total idiot right now and throws a spanner in the works of most of the plans I had for the first half of this year. :facepalm:

4. DexterTCN

DexterTCN Well-Known Member

Phone them on 0300 322 7823 and tell them you'd planned to pay it by cc but have only just realised and it will take you xx amount of time to get the whole amount.

The longer xx is...the more uncomfortable the conversation might be. A few weeks, a month or two? Not a problem most likely.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  5. UnderAnOpenSky

Really? No penalties or interest or anything?

6. DexterTCN

DexterTCN Well-Known Member

You're getting %, yup.

Get an agreement before the payment due date and keep to it and you have no penalties (unless you default, it's not generally good to default)

And no debt record with the revenue after your first year...which might be a record.

7. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

Slightly different scenario but a few years back I got a large tax bill I wasn't expecting. I was PAYE but my stupid employer had messed up the tax codes and I hadn't paid nearly enough tax in the year. Said employer than made me redundant and the tax bill dropped on my door mat. I called HMRC and to my great surprise they were very understanding and accommodating. They let me pay it off in monthly installments at an amount I could afford with no interest. Best loan I've ever had.

So long story short, Dexter is right - call them.

8. UnderAnOpenSky

Thanks DexterTCN & Teaboy. It makes no sense, but I'm far more terrified owing the Inland Revenue then the banks. Bizzarly its the same with the huge energy bill we got. Ah well I'm signed up to an Agency for part time work. Just wasn't how I planned spending the first part of 2018.

What it has been is a huge wakeup call. My accounts probably look a shambles. Just an excel document that makes sense to me. Need to start thinking about 2017 and also make sure that I'm putting it to one side as has been suggested on this thread for 2018.

My other slight concern is that our mortgage finishes it's first two years later in the year and it appears that I'll be at the mercy of whatever rate Halifax wants to give us as shopping around will be a nightmare.

9. Teaboy

That makes sense, its worrying owing the government money because its a debt that never goes away unlike debt to private companies which you can duck and dive a bit and sometimes make it disappear. The flip side of that though is they are much more understanding and also play a longer game, the worst thing you can do is ignore it.

My g/f and I are in a similar position. She went self employed a year ago and our mortgage deal is due up in September this year. We have my salary but her's was the major one prior to her going self-employed. Its a job to know what to do, we've considered all sorts of things but have come to the conclusion most of them would constitute some sort of mortgage fraud which if found out fucks you over. We've come to the conclusion that a history of always making payments on-time should work in our favour and hopefully they won't hammer us to much.

10. Sapphireblue

Sapphireblue Well-Known Member

you might find the mortgage situation isn't that bad. we're with HSBC and when our last fixed rate was due to expire they sent us a pack with options of new fixed rates available and also what it would be if we didn't pick one. was dead simple to renew with a new fixed rate as same supplier didn't have to provide as much info as you usually do on a mortgage application. i can't remember though if we had to say that our earnings / money situation was basically the same as the first application (it was, so not an issue for us).

11. UnderAnOpenSky

I could lie I suppose, but if they want proof I'm stuffed. It's a daft situation, surely the only proof that should be needed is that you havnt missed a payment over the last few years.

12. Teaboy

When we first renewed all they wanted was the payslip from the last month from both of us. We've toyed with the idea of knocking a fake payslip up on the laptop for my g/f but it is mortgage fraud so agreed it was a bad idea. I'm with Skipton but I would guess that all mortgage providers are going to ask for some sort of proof of earnings, even if it's just cursory.