Part Worn Res

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Feb 2, 2002.

1. editor

editor hiraethified

I've been enjoying the very slow deconstruction of this garage sign in Coldharbour Lane, anxiously waiting for the next letter to fall off so I can photograph its demise.

So I was well chuffed to grab a pic of the latest version of its name,
    Par Voi Re

What do you mean?! Me? An anorak?!

2. zeedoodles

zeedoodles Member

Perhaps they are under new French ownership

3. editor

editor hiraethified

It seems there must be a French connection as last night's gales have despatched the middle section, leaving the title Par - Re!

4. twisted nerve

twisted nerve engineer without fear

5. boomclick

boomclick New Member

mike,

get help, mate.

:D :D :D :D :D

6. Kameron

Kameron Kamoceratops

Oh fuck it, I'm going to have to go and take a look now, you barstards.

7. El Jugador

El Jugador will leave bed for food

[​IMG]
    bit of both, methinks!
    :p

8. editor

editor hiraethified

I know that you've been nervously wondering how the sign's been getting on since I last wrote, so allow me to inform you that it's now down to just 'PAR' (when the loose and flapping letter R isn't obscuring the adjacent letter 'E').

I really should get out more.

[​IMG]

9. boomclick

boomclick New Member

on the contrary mike,

i think you're only 3 photos away from the book.

i very much look forward to 'PA' and then 'A' and then the final, barren shot of the naked wall - a viscous comment on the temporary nature of everything in post-millenial urban living. or something. ;)

10. marko

marko reggaebore

mike can we please have a little animated gif with the full sequence :D

11. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

Brilliant boomclick and rb!!!! :) :cool:

12. IntoStella

IntoStella Banned Banned

There used to be a pound shop in Whitechapel called Pricebusters which, after a windy night, was henceforth known to all as RICEBUSTERS

Very pretty pics, anyway.

13. editor

editor hiraethified

Until very recently, the small grocery shop opposite me on Coldharbour Lane was called, 'LAMBET MINI MART', by virtue of their not being enough space on the awning to get the whole word in!

14. wildwildlifer

wildwildlifer Rather small member

"Troubles" by J.G. Farrell

I'd suggest Ed that this might be right up your street, next time you're looking for an intelligent funny read.
    Its the Brit-owned Majestic Hotel in the middle of the original troubles. the plot is punctuated by bits of the sign dropping off.
    :D

15. ats

ats Well-Known Member

Once the frontage is completely blank, the next step must be to start sneaking in at night and adding new letters, one at a time, slowly revealing a new message (or series of messages, changing as each letter goes up, if it's worked out very cleverly).

16. wurlycurly

wurlycurly diss member

that's not anorak-ish, it's class. A similar thing has happened to a thespian-training school in King's cross, the Poor School for some time now advertising a career on stage under a Poo School sign.

17. Peter Matisse

Peter Matisse Queering the Mail

I think your photgraphs are very good. Witty and poignant and loaded with allegorical references.

There is an exhibition on at the moment by a photgraphic artist called Sam Taylor-Wood. Her work is deliberatley staged and self aware and for me has none of the qualities of your pictures.

I hope you are going to put them into the Open Digi event.

I also thought that the photgraph that you posted of the drug addicts outside your building was very powerful.

Just out of interest what sort of camera do you use ?

18. Solarblast

Solarblast ...in due course...

I went to that Sam Taylor Wood show. She is the Maryah Carey of british modern art (only succesful because she accomodates a major art dealer in her vag), but I quite like some of her stuff (I suppose I am to art as Mariah Carey fans are to music - a big fucking philistine).

Stagey is fine in photos. The art and aim of taking a stagey photo is totally different from the art and aim of a casual one. Take Andreas Gursky. I love his photos for their weird mix of casual stageyness.

Though that isn't to say that I don't enjoy Mikes photos.

19. detective-boy

detective-boy Banned Banned

An earlier incarnation?

Mike

Are you related to the creative genius behind the Fawlty Towers opening sequence?

I think we should be told!

20. Peter Matisse

Peter Matisse Queering the Mail

I agree with you Solarblast, staged photgraphs do work and some are very powerful. Andreas Gursky is a good example, I like his work too.

What you say about Sam Taylor-Wood is very true, but although they work in different ways and with different subjects, I think it is fair to make the comparison between her work and Editors.

For me, regardless of subject, both are bringing their notions of form and composition to the subject of their pictures. And whilst I think that in Sam Taylor-Wood's show there is less there than meets the eye, because those notions are contrived and shallow, those same notions in Editor's work seem to me true and connected. Whether by intention or accident.

21. William of Walworth

LOL at detective boy! :D

Flowery Twats was one such incarnation at the start of one episode... :)

<goes off reminiscing about The Psychiatrists and The Builders ... :) >

[I would respond to Solarblast and Peter Matisse's art criticism but I'm merely employed by a heritage institution and formulating critiques ain't part of the job ... :eek: ]

22. sonicdancer

sonicdancer Jet Set Nomad Banned

Do I also detect some clever low level extraction of the urine here !! :D

23. William of Walworth

What do you mean??? :D ;)

24. JoMo1953

JoMo1953 Well-Known Member

I GET IT I GET IT I GET IT

A PISS TAKE!!!!!

(am I right white rabbit???)