1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parks and Recreation

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by Maggot, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

I've downloaded three series of Eastbound & Down. That might help.
    Also going to check out Broad City.

wtfftw likes this.
  2. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Never heard of it.

3. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg A powerhouse of a human and cannot be silenced

What? Then you have 11 series of the funniest show of the decade to catch up on! :)

spanglechick and sim667 like this.
  4. 8den

8den No I'm pretty sure that was 8ball...

You love offensive humour but haven't heard of Always Sunny.

It's a comedy show with three guys and a girl who are basically the worst people in the world. And then Danny DeVito arrives.

-----

Dennis, you don't wanna go anywhere near a court. How many bench warrants for sexual misconduct do you have? Yeah, and Frank, how many unregistered guns are in your car right now? -Sweet Dee

-----

Hi. Um, I'm a recovering crackhead. This is my retarded sister that I take care of. I'd like some welfare, please. -Dennis

---

I mean, does my scar look like a dog's vagina? You know, maybe. I don't know. I'm not gonna sit here and try and get inside the mind of a dog. I mean, that's God's work. Well, not that I believe in God. I don't. Not since that Chinaman stole my kidney. –Rickety Cricket
    ----

Your mom doesn't know dick! She's a dumb, fat cow. And your sister, she's a stupid little shit-mouthed bitch, isn't she? -Sweet Dee

-----

I'm a...full-on rapist, you know? Uh, Africans, dyslexics, children, that sort of thing. -Charlie

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    sim667 likes this.
  5. sim667

I understand what you mean, Parks and Rec is a comedy that is genuinely funny without an arsehole at the same time......

[​IMG]
    Never Forget. RIP.

6. sim667

You had me until this bit.

7. 8den

You have no idea the appalling wonderful sick depraved stuff Frank Reynolds does

spanglechick and sim667 like this.
  8. Orang Utan

something really offputting about those

9. Orang Utan

30 Rock - yeah - forgot about it halfway through season 3, but don't know why, so getting back on that
    Community - I also petered out watching this towards the end of season 3 - it seemed to have lost its way a little bit, but I will get back on that horse
    Silicon Valley - read that Mike Judge is involved, so on the d/l of that too.
    I am also going to watch Transparent and War & Peace and American Horror Story

10. wtfftw

wtfftw Well-Known Member

Maybe workaholics? It's pretty juvenile. I tend to do a workaholics and then broad city schedule when I control my own programming. :cool:

11. The Octagon

The Octagon Stop......Hammertime

12. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw dead stare and computer glare

I'm guessing the main thing is you don't believe adults should watch cartoons :D

13. Orang Utan

no, not at all! they just look a bit weird rather than a bit funny.

14. Vintage Paw

It just depends on your type of humour, like with anything else I guess. I like Bob's Burgers a lot, but I didn't like Bojack Horseman (although I didn't give it a fair try). Is Bob's Burgers weird? Maybe. But whatever weirdness it has is something I find funny, so idk.

They're all great characters. Dad Bob is typically hard done to and generally good natured. Mom Linda is hilarious, gregarious, very New Jersey. Eldest kid, Tina, is the star of the show for most people - she's Lisa Simpson for the internet generation, and has a thing for zombies and romance. Middle child, Gene, by rights should be the lame duck of the show but is actually amazing and dumb as a sack of rocks and yet not. Youngest kid, Louise, is the only one who has a recognisable voice actor (Kristen Schaal; all other main characters are voiced by men, apart from two twin boys who are semi-regular cast members, voiced by Sarah and Laura Silverman, and a couple of other irregular cast members) and has a bit of a cult following - she's the maniacal genius of the show.

Now, a really, really, really lovely and sweet and amazing and thoughtful and great cartoon is Steven Universe. Each episode is 11 minutes long and somehow they manage to say more than some entire works of fiction. All the episodes so far are here: The World of Steven Universe: (Season 1) English

Orang Utan likes this.
  15. 8den

Funny my 3yo notice Cartoon Network this week and I found myself watching some Steven universe really impressed.

Oh speaking of Community & Cartoons. Dan Harmon made the excellent Rick & Morty.

Get swifty!

16. Vintage Paw

Honestly, if I were to pick anything to replace that warm feeling Parks&Rec leaves behind it'd be Steven Universe.

Despite its obvious huge differences, it's genuinely warm and caring and thoughtful, jam packed with 'makes you think' kind of stuff, the characters are funny and quirky and utterly lovable. And it has Onion.

[​IMG]

Sea Star, ebonics and Orang Utan like this.
  17. Orang Utan

Since Vintage Paw could get me to do anything, I have acquired Bob's Burgers S1 and Steven Universe.
    (and a shitload of Adventure Time too)

Maggot and Vintage Paw like this.
  18. Vintage Paw

Anything, you say?

:hmm:

:D

19. Orang Utan

Owt

Vintage Paw likes this.
  20. Vintage Paw

I enjoy 'American internet generation' humour, whatever that is. If the kids on tumblr like it, I probably like it too. But then, I started with my mid-life crisis at around the age of 28 and it's showing no signs of letting up as I fast approach actual middle age.

(When does middle age start, these days? I'm going to say 40. Until I reach 40, then I'm going to say 45.)

21. Orang Utan

Unless it's 'give me your liver'

22. Vintage Paw

How about a kidney?

23. Orang Utan

only if you need it. you can't just keep it in a jar.

Maggot and spanglechick like this.
  24. Vintage Paw

Well that's my plans for a kidney museum scuppered. :mad:

Maggot likes this.
  25. imposs1904

imposs1904 Thread Killa'

I laughed:

21761856_10100934442052468_8552716073282857451_n.jpg

kittyP, sim667, Plumdaff and 5 others like this.
  26. Vintage Paw

It hurts my brain how absolutely perfect the casting for Mona Lisa was. I could have sworn blind she was actually related to Jean Ralphio.

sim667, inva, BigTom and 2 others like this.
  27. danny la rouge

danny la rouge This is definitely the darkest timeline

When I first saw her I honestly thought it was him in drag.

Chilli.s, BigTom and SpookyFrank like this.
  28. Vintage Paw

I would wear these proudly.

[​IMG]

mwgdrwg and BigTom like this.
  29. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

Yes, both are inspired casting choices, my favourite secondary characters I reckon. I laughed hard at that stalin/trotsky image.

30. danny la rouge

danny la rouge This is definitely the darkest timeline

Good grief. Their only redeeming feature was that Fonzie was their Dad.