Parks and Recreation

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by Maggot, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

BBC4 Wednesdays 10pm

This comedy series has been on in the States for a while, but has only just made it over here. Set in local government.

Apparently the second series is better than the first.

Starts tonight!

Vintage Paw and BigTom like this.
  2. 8den

8den No I'm pretty sure that was 8ball...

It takes a while to get going. In the first series Lesley Nopes the main character is sort of a David Brent in local government, incompetent and the butt of jokes, they change the character throughout the 2 seasons, and it really hits it's stride around half way through season 2.

Ron Swanson is comedy gold.

Vintage Paw, imposs1904 and BigTom like this.
  3. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

I think it's brilliant, definitely improves as it goes along (not sure the 5th season isn't starting to run out of steam a bit but still lots of laugh out load moments). And yes, Ron Swanson is comedy gold and makes the show.

Vintage Paw likes this.
  4. Maggot

Saw the first 2 episdodes and really enjoyed it. Very funny.

5. Ms Ordinary

Ms Ordinary randompointlesschemistry

Caught some of this last night - Leslie reminds me of Reese Witherspoon in Election which is :cool:.

Maggot likes this.
  6. wemakeyousoundb

wemakeyousoundb and calm again

ron swanson rules
    and he wears a moustache

7. catinthehat

catinthehat Failed VK = Replicant

I watched this on Netflix almost in one go I liked it so much. Swanson is genius.

Jay Park and 8den like this.
  8. youngian

youngian Well-Known Member

Leslie Knoppe seems to have big problems getting the locals and her colleagues to share her passion for change. Especially her glum hard right Republican boss who doesn't believe in government and would like to see parks privatised.
    Very funny character, sort of an Obamish David Brent (or whatever Steve Carrel's version was called).

9. smorodina

smorodina Where is my Mercian?

I'm having a major crush on Ron!
    Plus got a severe case of a theme tune addiction :D

Vintage Paw and Maggot like this.
  10. Maggot

Loved the camel artwork. :D

smorodina likes this.
  11. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

There are some great characters in it.

I watched all of the series' whilst off work for two works with illness.

Reminds me a lot of the us version of the office.

Also-
    Aubrey plaza.

12. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Oops. Accidentally watched 8 episodes from S5 in a row. Brilliant :)

Vintage Paw likes this.
  13. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

It's great to see a sympathetic portrayal of a right wing libertarian - that would never happen on British TV!

I think Tom Haverford is the best character though.

[​IMG]

14. Maggot

It's back on BBC4 now!

15. TikkiB

TikkiB Well-Known Member

Yay. I love Parks and Recreation. It's a little spot of pure joy. And Ron Swanson, swoon...

Series 3 is brilliant.

BlueSquareThing and Vintage Paw like this.
  16. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw dead stare and computer glare

I absolutely LOVE this programme. When I grow up I want to be Leslie Knope. I admire her enthusiasm and optimism and her deep desire to help however she can. And her feminism is admirable as well.

I totally shipped Ron and Ann for a while there, particularly when they were fixing stuff up together. I haven't finished everything that's on Netflix yet, I think I'm part way through the last season they have on there. I slowed down my viewing of it because I simply don't want it to end.

I really like Ben for his complete bewilderment at everyone else (his exasperated glances to camera are wonderful). I love Chris' manner of talking and how everything is, literally, the best thing he has ever seen or done. I think Andy is wonderful and his character really blossomed after the first season - he's a big, excitable puppy and April is a great foil for him. Of course it goes without saying that April is magnificent, and I love her little suppressed grins when she's secretly pleased with something she's done or been praised for but is trying to hide it from the camera so as to not tarnish her image. I feel so sorry for poor old Gerry (Gary :D), because he's such a kind and lovely person. It took me a long time to get used to Tom, because he really is a fucking dick, and the season where he went into partnership with that twat Jean-Ralphio had some of my least favourite stuff. I like the moments when Tom's insecurities and humanity come to the fore, and they aren't common enough imo. Donna's great, she really doesn't give a shit (apart from about her beloved car), and I loved it when she and Tom took Ben shopping. And then of course there's Ron. Oh Ron. The character who, on paper, we should all hate. And yet he's magnificent. Not least for his impressive moustache. The platonic love that blossomed between him and Leslie as the series really took off is a thing of great beauty and it's absolutely central to the show. When Ron and Tammy 2 end up getting back together now and then it's both hilarious and deeply unsettling - but in a great way. Seeing his and Tammy 2's reaction when they are told Tammy 1 is in his office was brilliant. And his love of meat is probably the true OTP of the show.

I'm not ashamed to say Parks & Rec has made me cry on more than one occasion. It's up there in my list of absolute favourite things ever. I, literally, could not love it more.

17. TikkiB

TikkiB Well-Known Member

Vintage Paw I wish I could like your post more than once. P and R is truly wonderful.

Vintage Paw likes this.
  18. BlueSquareThing

BlueSquareThing With chips

Which series is this we have on now? 3 or 4? I can't remember how many they did last year... :facepalm:

Pretty good start to the series - the interplay with the two guys who came to fix the budget is nice as well.

19. Maggot

Series 3 currently on BBC4.

BlueSquareThing likes this.
  20. Vintage Paw

I wish we could embed vine videos. This is perfection. For those sad days when you need something to make you feel giddy.

https://vine.co/v/h6zV3MnJJdB

Orang Utan and tufty79 like this.
  21. D'wards

D'wards I'm an excellent driver

I wonder if BBC4 have got the newest series - it hasn't been on for ages, bwoi!

22. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

I watched the first series and a few of the second and was a bit meh, but have just reacquainted myself with it on Netflix and am now staying up too late to watch it - the one that made me stay up last night was the one where they go hunting in S2. I fucking love it, but am daunted by how many I now have to watch. I love everyone in it. Poor Jerry - he's the only bum note as I don't get why people are so horrible to him.

TikkiB and Vintage Paw like this.
  23. Vintage Paw

I've just finished season 5. Gerry has a very nice moment towards the end with his family and Leslie. It shows that the joke is on everyone else. I don't like it when they make fun of him, but in light of that episode, yeah, the joke's on them.

24. Orang Utan

I look forward to some development, and I know they are not real people but I thought so much the less of everyone for laughing at Jerry and dismissing his thoughtful and touching submission for the Pawnee mural, just cos he called it murinal. :(

Vintage Paw and tufty79 like this.
  25. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

i've finished it all, now. I started watching in the autumn and fell in love. it invites comparisons with 40 rock, but it's so much better. Can comedy be cleaver and funny without being nasty? yes. Can female characters be happy in love and good at their jobs and have functional friendships with other women? why yes, yes they can. I mean, seriously - forget the headline stuff about lesley's achievements and career, "Galentine's Day" and Lesley's friendship with Ann are fucking groundbreaking-level feminism.

I adore Ben (and fancy him *so* badly), Ron is clearly awesome (recommend the stand up video from Nick Offerman to hear Ron Swanson's hidden girly giggle)... love li'l sebastian! It's not the funniest sitcom ever (Always sunny in Philadelphia), but it isn't far off - and it's cetainly one of the most intelligently positive tv experiences i can think of.

TikkiB and Orang Utan like this.
  26. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

The Jerry thing is tricky. Without spoilering, the Gergitch family context is important in making that work, and becomes more so over time.

The final ever show is a joy. For all the characters.

TikkiB, Vintage Paw and Orang Utan like this.
  27. Orang Utan

i don't know who Ben is yet. I've clearly got a lot of catching up to do...

Vintage Paw likes this.
  28. Vintage Paw

I agree wholeheartedly with everything you've said. There has only been one episode I haven't enjoyed as much (the one where the people from Venezuela come to visit - I might not have been attuned to what they were trying to do but it made me feel uncomfortable), although I haven't finished yet.

Leslie is amazing. There's absolutely no hiding what Amy Poehler's tried to achieve with this show. Seeing Leslie dressed as Rosie the Riveter was iconic. And yes, her and Ann - no backstabbing, no snide comments, just unconditional love and friendship. And Leslie's romantic relationships - no drama for the sake of drama, just love, understanding.

And Chris Traeger is LITERALLY the best character Rob Lowe has ever played.

ngl, I cry at nearly every episode. I really wish tv-land wasn't so afraid of warmth.

29. Vintage Paw

Ben's deadpan looks to camera are wonderful, one of my favourite things. I particularly love it when he really doesn't get the whole Li'l Sebastian thing :D

spanglechick and TikkiB like this.
  30. Vintage Paw

I could seriously enthuse about this programme for the rest of time.

TikkiB likes this.