Parking

Discussion in 'transport' started by Proper Tidy, Jul 4, 2019.

1. felixthecat

felixthecat are we there yet?

I usually reverse in except in the supermarket carpark because that's just silly if you're going to have to put shopping in the boot.

2. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse A-wob a-bob bob

Where are people on parent + child spaces?

i would never actually park in a disabled space, but feel justified parking in parent and child spaces as have a car-seat in the back :facepalm:

Also feel justified after 8pm, as kids should be in bed :hmm:

kalidarkone and A380 like this.
  3. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

I park in them if there are shitloads available and I'm only going to be a few minutes. Never in a disabled.

kalidarkone and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  4. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins There's been a slight cheese accident

Selfish cunts the pair of ye :D

5. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Yeah, sometimes. So you make a choice depending on what you're going to be doing.

Mrs Miggins likes this.
  6. Lupa

Lupa Well-Known Member

I use the mirrors and swivel my neck too... :D

Spymaster likes this.
  7. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse A-wob a-bob bob

And why are spaces so small?

If you park my car next to another of the same make in any of Guildford's large car parks, each car in the centre of the bay, you won't be able to open the doors of either car.

8. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

German cars. The rules are different for us.

kalidarkone, A380 and Mrs Miggins like this.
  9. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix Life as viewed from a Gay Gorbals Garret

I want to use them when I take my Dad shopping.

JimW, cupid_stunt, pogofish and 4 others like this.
  10. Poi E

Poi E Well-Known Member

It soon turns into a lot of money and no car.

Bahnhof Strasse and dessiato like this.
  11. Lupa

Lupa Well-Known Member

Well technically you're parent and child.. so....:D

12. 19sixtysix

88 and 52 :)

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  13. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

It's much easier to load the boot of the car if one drives into the space, rather than reversing into it and then having to squeeze through the gaps between your car and those park around it to reach the boot.

felixthecat, Poi E and dessiato like this.
  14. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

Here in the East Mids they tend to go for too short rather than too narrow, With it being a bit over 16ft long (the car that is), I find I often stick out into the lane a foot or two or overlap into the space behind the same sort of distance.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  15. Plumdaff

Plumdaff joy in people

The Costco near me seems to have massive American size parking spaces, they're positively roomy. I always reverse in unless I'm doing a massive shop. It's neater and safer. Yes, I care about parking neatly.

BassJunkie likes this.
  16. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Because cars are too big.

polly and 19sixtysix like this.
  17. 19sixtysix

Car inflation has reached US proportions. Put a new mini next to a real mini and see the truth.

Spymaster, A380 and dessiato like this.
  18. dessiato

dessiato Life is a lemon, and I want my money back

And the Fiat 500 too.

19. Poi E

Poi E Well-Known Member

More people reverse park now thanks to reversing cameras. I wondered why loads more were doing it.

20. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

21. 8115

8115 Turn left.

Has anyone mentioned driving through 2 spaces so you drive in and drive out? Mark of a good day.

T & P, Poi E, Bahnhof Strasse and 3 others like this.
  22. dessiato

dessiato Life is a lemon, and I want my money back

Someone did, but yes it's the mark of a good day.

A380 likes this.
  23. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

There's some cunts who keep parking on some double yellow lines outside my work. Can't key the cunts cos it's outside work. Anyone know if you can call a number and sic a traffic warden onto em?

A380 likes this.
  24. Proper Tidy

Proper Tidy Arsed

Dunno but if you went to the effort of making fake tickets in those plastic wrapper things you could generate a second income stream

Orang Utan likes this.
  25. polly

polly Well-Known Member

Print out one of those POLICE AWARE signs and stick it under the windscreen wipers? Might shit them up enough not to try it again.

bluescreen and Dogsauce like this.
  26. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Depends on your council. My council has a grass up form for illegal parking. I used it on a new neighbour who decided to park his car right across the pavement (seriously, must be from outside London) so I had to push my kid's buggy out in the road. Didn't stop him though so I keyed it.

A380, Spymaster and Orang Utan like this.
  27. hash tag

hash tag member

I always reverse into spaces; have a better sense of space using mirrors and/or camera.
    It is safer pulling out because it is easier to see peds and what is going on like other cars manouvering.
    It's also safer pulling out if you need to make a quick getaway in the event of a mugger/stalker/car jacker etc.
    Don't park right up against the back of the space and it's never a problem getting shopping in the boot, not that I can get much into my bella :)

28. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

Some construction sites I’ve worked on have had parking area where it’s reverse parking only, enforced as part of site safety. Becoming more common.

29. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

A mate made a good point about child spaces the other day, about how they’re always put close to the store entrance so dickheads without kids will fill them up. They don’t actually need to be that close as parents mostly don’t have mobility issues, they just need a bit more space to get kids/buggies out through the side door. Put some or all of them a bit further away and they’d be more likely to be empty.

spanglechick likes this.
  30. Boudicca

Boudicca Seaside Queen

One place I worked at had the spaces marked alternately as 'forwards in' and 'reverse in'. They had worked out that as most cars only had one person in them, they could squeeze more spaces in this way.