Parking

Discussion in 'transport' started by Proper Tidy, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Proper Tidy

Proper Tidy Arsed

Why do so many people spend ages reversing into parking spaces, back and forth back and forth, instead of going in forward and reversing out piece of piss. Seems inefficient.

sojourner, spanglechick, 8115 and 2 others like this.
  2. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Bays like at the supermarket, or on the street?

3. Proper Tidy

Proper Tidy Arsed

Yeah parking spaces, supermarkets and offices and stuff. Must save about a second on way out but adds two minutes on way in. Silly.

4. Sprocket.

Sprocket. And the snow turned in to rain...

Good points but also when at a supermarket or shopping centre. There are five hundred empty spaces and some nozzle parks alongside you, making it impossible to get back into your car because they are so close.
    :mad::mad:

5. mauvais

It's much safer and for that reason it's usually what you should do. Also minor secondary benefit of it's better to piss about manoeuvring with a warm engine than a cold one.

6. Proper Tidy

Proper Tidy Arsed

Why is it safer? It's never hard to manoeuvre out, it's just reverse, turn, go, at worst you might have to stop go forward then back and go

sojourner and 8115 like this.
  7. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse A-wob a-bob bob

Tight spaces it is often easier to reverse in to, but I would rather drive to the edge of the car park or top floor rather than fuck around. Quite a large car tho.

8. mauvais

Because there are often people and vehicles moving about in the lane you're trying to get out into, with restricted visibility, and very rarely people stood about in the single space you're trying to reverse into.

9. Proper Tidy

Proper Tidy Arsed

I disagree it's easier to reverse in, even if it's tight it's easy to go in forwards in one movement usually. But yeah I'll just park where there is space given choice, why fuck around

10. Proper Tidy

Proper Tidy Arsed

Fair point. Still not doing it though

11. moomoo

moomoo Not so yummy mummy

I always reverse into spaces. Much easier than driving in.

dfm, existentialist, BigTom and 4 others like this.
  12. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

I much prefer to reverse into a parking space, although I usually get it in one go (plenty of practice). I will often almost touch the back wall, if available - I drive an estate / hatchback - so no-one can get to the back end. The small amount of shopping (or other baggage) goes on the floor, behind my seat (not on the passenger seat).
    Safer and quicker to drive out forwards, you have better visibility for other vehicles / pedestrians (children) and not shunting with a cold engine.

13. Proper Tidy

Proper Tidy Arsed

Hang around in car parks for a bit like I seem to and tell me the average person finds it easier to reverse in, seems to take most people about three minutes

14. a_chap

a_chap When the world came apart, where were you?

Two minutes?!? :eek:

Maybe you need some lessons on how to park.

15. polly

polly Well-Known Member

The prize is obviously two spaces end to end, so you can drive in forwards over one space and into the other, so you are facing forwards without having to reverse at all.

Failing that I like to park in the far away, more secluded spots so you have lots of room and also so no one can see me taking 20 minutes over it.

trashpony, BigTom, danski and 10 others like this.
  16. Proper Tidy

Proper Tidy Arsed

I never reverse in, I've covered this up thread

17. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse A-wob a-bob bob

Of course, driving a large Audi I just slam it in to the first disabled bay I can find, if there's two free I'll try and stick it across both.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    Mation, Riklet, kalidarkone and 23 others like this.
  18. dessiato

dessiato Because I could not stop for death

I looked at an old R6 estate to buy. There's a lot of car for no money.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  19. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

I know someone who did that and didn't notice the kerb between the spaces. Dickhead. :hmm: :oops:

20. fishfinger

fishfinger تپلی

This is the way:

tenor.gif

21. polly

polly Well-Known Member

By the way, I have started complimenting strangers on their parking. It's probably a bit of a weird thing to do but they always seem really pleased. Praise the good behaviour to see more of it :thumbs:

:D:D

If it makes your friend feel any better, my friend was almost caught out by a little diamond shaped flower bed the other day. I think car park planners do it on purpose :mad:

Maggot and trashpony like this.
  22. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Sainsbury's on Finchley Rd., has those stupid diamond things which cut-off a huge corner of the parking space.

What the utter fuck is that all about???? :mad:

trashpony and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  23. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins There's been a slight cheese accident

A question for the reverser-inners...isn't more difficult to get at the boot to put your shopping in if you've reversed in? Especially if another car has parked behind you? Or you're against the wall?

24. Leafster

Leafster From the FRow

The mum of one of my schoolmates would look for end to end spaces. If she couldn't find one, she'd drive back home and try again later as she hated reversing. :D

25. polly

polly Well-Known Member

Either sadism, or to stop you from driving all over the car park willy nilly and crashing into someone sensibly reversing in. Or a bit of both :mad:

:D A friend's mum stops strangers in the street and asks them to park for her. She's in her 80s and has never parked her own car.

scifisam, trashpony, Dogsauce and 8 others like this.
  26. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

If they’re taking ages, it’s because they can’t drive very well. And it is not always easier to go in forwards, depending on the car and/or the space.

If you reverse out on to a road and hit another car, there’s every chance you’ll be done for driving without due care and attention.

If you can use your mirrors, reversing into a space is a piece of piss. I don’t recognise this shunt back and forth you speak of.

existentialist and moomoo like this.
  27. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins There's been a slight cheese accident

Reversing out feels massively easier to me as I'm not reversing into a confined space.

girasol and Proper Tidy like this.
  28. Lupa

Lupa Well-Known Member

Having a little camera at the back of the car has made reversing the car a complete doddle. Not that I had any problems before but the other day I had to reverse down a sort of laneway and turn at the end, go backwards through 2 bollards and then between 2 pillars.
    I received some looks of admiration and some of disbelief from a few elderly male golfers.

(I hasten to add that I do not golf or frequent golf clubs and was only there to give a talk to some people about music therapy)

Maggot and polly like this.
  29. souljacker

souljacker innit

Reversing in makes it far easier to get it straight. People who drive in forwards in my local supermarket never seem to get it in straight and essentially block the next space for anyone else. I can reverse in in one move usually but sometimes have to go out and and in once more but i'm usually pretty quick at doing that.

Also, my car is really long and has rear parking sensors, not front, so I can be loads more accurate if I reverse in.

Plumdaff, Lupa and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  30. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

I don't trust that and can't get on with reversing whilst looking forward at the screen. I ignore it and do it old school.

kalidarkone, Sprocket. and Lupa like this.