1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paralympic Games - we should piss this*

Discussion in 'Olympics 2008' started by London_Calling, Aug 27, 2008.

1. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

*Not including the Chinese Central Committee and friends

. . . anyway, it kicks off on the 6th September and finishes on the 17th. Quick summary of teh sports:

Err . . . sports

For the medal-table heads among us, GB came second overall last time. Not going to improve on that as the top side was China.

Linky: Official Guff.

Final linky: The BBC's tv coverage schedule - generally it's an hour a day on BBC2 and 6 hours a day on yer Interactive.

May the Games commence >

2. Bakunin

Bakunin I am Noodle's bitch.

It's a pity that the Paralympic games get so little coverage compared to the regular Olympics.

The things that these athletes do could put many more able-bodied athletes to shame. I know most of them are a damn sight better at what they do than I'd ever be.

3. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

I saw something the other day that indicated the Goverment/Lottery fund are taking this very seriously (obviously, in addition to the able bodied stuff). The GB rubgy team hired an American coach full time (he had a record of vastly improving every team he'd coached and was wheelchair bound), and he had a full time assistant as well - the Yank got fired in the end but it does suggest the money is flowing if they have full time staff (plural).

I guess everyone has at least one eye on 2012 now . . .

4. Juice Terry

Juice Terry rama lama fa fa fa

That wheelchair rugby is mental, proper mad max style:D

[​IMG]

5. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Wheelchair rugby? WTF? :D

6. kyser_soze

kyser_soze Hawking's Angry Eyebrow

Is that the game they made a film out of - Deathball or something?

7. jasoon

jasoon New Member

metal heads!:cool::hmm:

8. The Boy

The Boy danny la rouge is probably wrong.

murderball wasn't it?

9. aylee

aylee In exile in Haringay

Rollerball, you're probably thinking of, except that was on roller skates.

Or maybe you're thinking of Dodgeball which was another shite film starring Ben Stiller (I think).

Anyway, we're second in the medals table, only 4 golds behind China. And kicking Aussie and American butt.

Well done all. :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/disability_sport/medals_table/default.stm

10. kyser_soze

kyser_soze Hawking's Angry Eyebrow

Nah, theboy nailed it - murderball...