1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paper-only driving licence - legal stiil?

Discussion in 'transport' started by Yelkcub, Apr 25, 2012.


Is my paper-only old style licence valid?

  1. Legal

    10 vote(s)
  2. Illegal

    0 vote(s)
  3. An alien in New York

    1 vote(s)
  1. Yelkcub

    Yelkcub Well-Known Member

    I still have my original green paper-only driving licence, no photocard, due to expire in 2044.

    Chap who works for me swears this is illegal.

    (It also has the wrong address on it, but that's a different matter)
  2. quimcunx

    quimcunx Too tall.

    This has reminded me that I got something in the post about renewing my photocard. I should probably look that out. :hmm:
  3. Crispy

    Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

    If it was issued before July 1998, then it is still valid.
  4. hammerntongues

    hammerntongues Well-Known Member

    I have the same, held together with cellotape and barely readable but I have checked recently because I am applying for an International licence and it is definitely still legal.
  5. Teaboy

    Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

    It is an offence to have the incorrect address on a driving licence, so whilst the licence is technically still valid you are commiting an offence by not changing it. That being said if the address is your parents address and they still live there you may be able to blag it, my advice get it changed ASAP it'll only cost you a stamp and a passport photo.

    Also poll fail as the answer is both. ;)
    gosub likes this.
  6. pseudonarcissus

    pseudonarcissus fluttering and dancing

    I still have mine, but it lacks credibility at overseas car rental booths, so I tend to use a Texas one
  7. ddraig

    ddraig dros ben llestri

    still have mine and have moved a fair few times but it is still my parents address so blagging it
    bear01 likes this.
  8. Yelkcub

    Yelkcub Well-Known Member

    I'll be testing it out at an airport in Cork, Ireland on Friday night:hmm:
  9. purves grundy

    purves grundy ambient clown remix

    Bloody lost mine :(

    Licence, licence, licence...
  10. Teaboy

    Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

    Bit of a grey area really. If you do run a camera or something you may find yourself with more points then you expected. I'd get it changed its not worth the hassle.
  11. Teaboy

    Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

    £20 it costs to replace a lost licence I believe. Its free if its a change of address as long as you send the original back, I think.

    Also for those with the modern style photo licence remember you need both sections, the card and the paper bit otherwise your licence is technically invalid.
  12. tendril

    tendril And?

    having the incorrect address is probably what makes it illegal.
  13. Puddy_Tat

    Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

    Agree with most of the above - Assuming your details haven't changed and it's not expired, it's still perfectly valid.

    Although car hire places and the like might prefer a photocard one.

    It's an offence not to tell them you've moved, you need to weigh up the chances of them finding out - if (for example) you were involved in an accident where you had to provide documentation to the plods, would they notice? (e.g. is the car registered / insured in your name at a different address?) Whether they would do you, or just tell you to sort it out, I wouldn't like to say.

    And I think it might cost more than a photo and a stamp - I've just had to renew my photocard bit (they are only valid for 10 years at a time) and that cost me 20 quid. :mad:
  14. geminisnake

    geminisnake a complex mass of conflicting ideas

    As others have said it is now illegal because your address is wrong. They can NOT make you change your paper one unless you move, but you have moved.
    Mine is valid for another 23 yrs. Then I will convert to the photo one and not before.
  15. Yelkcub

    Yelkcub Well-Known Member

    The address on it is a flat I sold to a mate 8 years ago. He still lives there and I could resonably claim to sometines stay there
  16. past caring

    past caring The Cathars were right

    Used Enterprise there in November last year - they were fine with accepting the girlfriend's counterpart when adding her to the rental (she'd left the photocard in London) but she did have her passport and I was the main hirer and had both. Which was fortunate, 'cos I'd managed to let my passport expire.....
  17. Brixton Hatter

    Brixton Hatter edge of heaven

    I've still got a paper one and it's valid until 2045 or something. I still use it everywhere with no problems (car hire places here and abroad) even though it's falling apart and held together with brown sellotape. Like fuck I am gonna change it for one with my photo on it.
    ddraig likes this.
  18. Teaboy

    Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

    Slack bastards, I used to manage the Bracknell branch of Enterprise and know full well that they shouldnt have accepted that.
  19. Teaboy

    Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

    Well yes, the new style does expire after 10 years and you have to pay £20 to get a new one, but it is free if its just change of address and the licence is still valid as in the case of the op.
  20. Teaboy

    Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

    Keep it if you've not moved house, the old ones are way better anyway because they still allow you to drive a minibus, they started removing that right on renewals from 2002 I think, you need some sort of advanced licence for that now.
    Brixton Hatter and ddraig like this.
  21. Teaboy

    Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

    I doubt it.

    Policeman: Why is this licence in a different address?
    Speeding Yelkcub: Oh thats an address I stay at sometimes, I move around a lot
    Cop: Which address does your bank have?
    In trouble Yelkclub: Um, er, a different one?
    Angry Cop: I'm not sure you are who you say you are, accompany me to the station please

    etc etc.

    Just get the thing changed its not worth the hassle, don't give the fuckers a chance to get at you.
  22. joustmaster

    joustmaster offcumdun

    I had to move to the new picture license a month or so back.. No way can something stay in my possession for 50 years and not turn to mush.
    The old one had a massively out of date address on it. I hadn't lived there for 15 years and my mother hadn't lived there for 10.

    The address that DVLA had on the system was different to my paper icence, and didn't actually exist in the village I'm from. (computer error, they said.)
  23. Teaboy

    Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

    A mate of mine spent 3 hours in a cop shop once because the address on his licence was different to the address his car was registerred to which in turn was different to where he was living. The police did not like that at all and thought he was someone dodgy rather then a lazy dick.
  24. joustmaster

    joustmaster offcumdun

    If you do a CBT test you need to pay for a new licence, and that only lasts 2 years, before you have to pay again.
  25. yardbird

    yardbird Understands love.

    I just got me old and very battered paper licence back with 3 points on for 34mph in a 30 limit :facepalm:
  26. moochedit

    moochedit Mr Mooched It

    I know a mate of mine got a bollocking from a copper once because his licence was still registered to his parents address, but i don't think he got prosecuted for it.
  27. marty21

    marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

    Got my paper licence in 1997 and haven't moved since, it is held together with sellotape but still legal :)
  28. Puddy_Tat

    Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat


    You mean what's now class "D1"?

    I'm pretty sure that only disappears when you "renew" (i.e. at age 70) a licence, not when you get a replacement licence due to change of address.

    Although it's not completely unknown for people to lose - or gain - entitlement classes when a new licence is issued for a change of address - this can get messy...
  29. Teaboy

    Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

    Hmmm its a bit complicated and I don't really understand it fully myself.

    This seems to suggest that if you passed your test before 1st Jan 2007 you'll have the entitlement but that will be taken away when you renew (not just change address) as you have to every 10 years with the new style:


    But this page goes on to say that anyone with a car licence can drive a minibus as long as its not through work etc. So as long as you're just having a bez with your mates around the UK its fine:


    Its all a bit complicated really, the point remains though that if you have a old style paper licence you'll be able to drive a minibus for whatever reason and also abroad.
  30. Puddy_Tat

    Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

    I interpret "when your licence is next renewed" as meaning the renewal of the entire licence - which, as far as car driving entitlement is concerned, is when you're 70. Not renewal of the photocard, or getting a replacement licence due to a change of address, both of which strike me as administrative processes.

    I guess I'll find out in a week or so when I get my new photocard from Swansea...

    ETA - driving a vehicle with more than 9 seats "for hire and reward" is not allowed unless you have full D1 entitlement (i.e. without the "not for hire & reward" code number attached to it) - and I'm pretty darn sure that has been the case since before 1997, when it was PSV4 (very small bus - it used to depend on the length of the bus not the seating capacity) class if you did it for hire & reward.

Share This Page