Panasonic Lumix ZS200/TZ200 vs ZS100/TZ100 vs Sony RX100VI high end compact cameras

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by editor, Jan 22, 2019.

1. editor

editor hiraethified

I'm going on a whistle-stop tour of the US in March and need a big zoom travel compact to capture the action. I'll be taking along my Sony RX1R full frame compact for the low light stuff, but seeing as I'm going to spend a lot of time travelling, I'd like to take a pocketable big zooming compact with me.

The Lumix TZ100 looks the best bet for around £400 but has anyone used it? Or the the more expensive TZ200?

The Sony is probably out of my range (although I'll probably sell the camera on my return) - the earlier models are just as good but none have a decent zoom.

Thought anyone?

Reference: Best travel camera 2019: 10 compact models perfect for your vacation | TechRadar

2. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

Well I've got a Panasonic Lumix TZ40 which I am still using and it is patched together with Superglue and sticky tape. Takes great pictures but I've had issues with the hinge on the battery compartment door. Also had an internal lense clean down in Soho. Also sometimes in artificial lighting it seems to go a bit weird - unreliable auto focus.

editor likes this.
  3. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

I've got a TZ-60, which was the equivalent model of a few years ago and it looks from the specs that the 200 is much the same lens with more modern sensor/electronics.

Its been an excellent camera - The image quality for a compact is good but you do need to switch-off all the auto-processing bells and whistles as some can seriously degrade the image.

The lens has some weaknesses - There is noticeable barrel distortion at standard-wide lens equivalent focal lengths but it is easily corrected in Photoshop. Once you start to get into medium-tele and above, the distortion goes.

The different assignable controls for the ring round the lens work nicely, to give you some quick aperture and shutter control and it does save a great deal of weight/space in packing. Decent spare batteries can be found pretty cheaply online.

I've had a pic taken with it published in one of the major broadsheets, so photo editors seem happy with its output.

editor likes this.
  4. editor

editor hiraethified

The TZ60 is a great camera but I'm going to want the 1" sensor in the TZ100... The TZ200 is a better camera but with a slower min aperture and a massive zoom range I'm never going to need.

5. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

Just bought the TZ100. Did you get it in the end? How are you finding it?

6. editor

editor hiraethified

I bought it and took it back and got a s/hand Sony RX100 VI. I just didn't get on with the ergonomics (or size) of the TZ100.

7. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

^^^ Sony RX100 VI is about double the price is it not? eta Oh I see you bought it second hand...