• Tilting 2.76M-dot electronic viewfinder
  • 3" 1.24M-dot touchscreen display
  • 6 fps burst shooting with continuous AF
  • 4K UHD video capture at 30p
  • Built-in flash
  • Redesigned, electromagnetic shutter
  • New L. Monochrome D and Grain Effect color modes
  • Wi-Fi + Bluetooth
The GX9 packs a lot of camera into a little package, especially when used with a prime. The combo of nice JPEGs, a unique tilting EVF, good AF performance, simple connectivity and a responsive touchscreen make it a strong option for enthusiasts. Simply put, if I were heading out to explore a new city, I’d definitely consider bringing this camera along.
With its compact size, robust feature set, abundant controls and overall responsiveness, the Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 is a great camera for all kinds of photographers. The trick tilting viewfinder is a neat touch (though we wish it were larger), and limited battery life remains a sticking point. But impressive in-body image stabilization, a pleasing JPEG engine and good quality 4K capture mean the Lumix GX9 is a camera we can easily recommend.
Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 review

Here's the comparisons I looked up from here. Pretty impressive stuff.

2018-08-21_014011.jpg

Stanley Edwards

1967 Maserati Mistral.
R.I.P.
It seems to be a fabulous allrounder for most enthusiasts. However, no manual control over the ISO settings is a fundamental fuck up as far as I am concerned. I suspect the keen enthusiasts they are after will be put off by this also.

editor

hiraethified
It seems to be a fabulous allrounder for most enthusiasts. However, no manual control over the ISO settings is a fundamental fuck up as far as I am concerned. I suspect the keen enthusiasts they are after will be put off by this also.
I would be beyond amazed if you can't change ISO ratings manually. Where are you getting that from?

Stanley Edwards

1967 Maserati Mistral.
R.I.P.
I would be beyond amazed if you can't change ISO ratings manually. Where are you getting that from?
Perhaps I am getting it wrong? From the review...

"Auto ISO
The GX9 unfortunately comes with a rather simplistic Auto ISO system. You can set the range of ISO values to use and you can specify a minimum shutter speed, but leaving the minimum shutter speed to 'auto' sees the camera just using 1/60 sec as the minimum..."

editor

hiraethified

"Auto ISO
The GX9 unfortunately comes with a rather simplistic Auto ISO system. You can set the range of ISO values to use and you can specify a minimum shutter speed, but leaving the minimum shutter speed to 'auto' sees the camera just using 1/60 sec as the minimum..."
That's only talking about the auto ISO system. You can still select ISO values manually.

Pickman's model

every man and every woman is a star

"Auto ISO
that doesn't sound like the iso can't be manually set - after all, if you set it to auto iso you've obviously abrogated control on that function to the camera.

FridgeMagnet

Administrator

"Auto ISO
That’s just about the auto ISO setting, which it shares with the GX8 which I have and which _is_ pretty dumb. On the Ricoh GR for instance you can set a shutter speed threshold at which it will step up a stop in ISO, so for instance you can be sure that you’re at least at 1/250. Panasonic’s software doesn’t let you do that and fixes it at 1/60, at least for shorter lenses, which is fine for relatively static shots but is no good for street stuff.

I don’t have a problem with this in the daytime because I’m shooting with f1.4-1.7 lenses and ISO 200 (the base) always gives me a good speed. However at night or in dark places I have to manually set the ISO or I end up with a load of blurs.

FridgeMagnet

Administrator
The thing that makes me pause about this is that apparently it’s got a worse EVF than the GX8. EVF performance is a deal breaker for me. (Admittedly I’m not going to buy another digital body anyway.)

Better JPEGs would be nice though - I never shoot raw and the GX8 just doesn’t do great JPEG colours IMO, though a lot of it’s down to the auto white balance. Manually setting WB seems to result in better colours even if you may need to adjust them in post.

Stanley Edwards

1967 Maserati Mistral.
R.I.P.
I've got it now. You can select Auto, or Intelligent, or manually select from ISO 100 up to a very impressive 25,600!

editor

hiraethified
That’s just about the auto ISO setting, which it shares with the GX8 which I have and which _is_ pretty dumb. On the Ricoh GR for instance you can set a shutter speed threshold at which it will step up a stop in ISO, so for instance you can be sure that you’re at least at 1/250. Panasonic’s software doesn’t let you do that and fixes it at 1/60, at least for shorter lenses, which is fine for relatively static shots but is no good for street stuff.

I don’t have a problem with this in the daytime because I’m shooting with f1.4-1.7 lenses and ISO 200 (the base) always gives me a good speed. However at night or in dark places I have to manually set the ISO or I end up with a load of blurs.
Oh for a dust-proof new Ricoh GR. It's still the best camera controls I've ever used on a compact.

FridgeMagnet

Administrator
Oh for a dust-proof new Ricoh GR. It's still the best camera controls I've ever used on a compact.
Yeah :/ I was considering sending mine off to get de-dusted but the idea that it’ll probably just get dusty again really puts me off. I guess we’ll see what the next version is like, that should be coming out soon.

editor

hiraethified
Yeah :/ I was considering sending mine off to get de-dusted but the idea that it’ll probably just get dusty again really puts me off. I guess we’ll see what the next version is like, that should be coming out soon.
It's looong overdue, leading some to suspect there may never be a Mk3. I've looked at alternatives but nothing matches its size/quality.

FridgeMagnet

Administrator
Incidentally I got a GX800 recently on eBay to replace my GF2 as a pocket camera and it is actually pretty good. It’s a compact rather than RF styled like other GXes, or SLR styled like the G(H) series, but it shares a lot of the modes and has great IQ. It’s also frickin tiny, approaching the point of being too small for my hands - here it is with the Pana 20/1.7 pancake which looks relatively huge despite being one of the smaller m43 lenses.

image.jpg

It’s not there to replace my GX8, which is much easier to shoot with and change settings on the fly, but as a pocket camera it seems really good so far, and in some ways it may even outperform it.

Incidentally I got a GX800 recently on eBay to replace my GF2 as a pocket camera and it is actually pretty good. It’s a compact rather than RF styled like other GXes, or SLR styled like the G(H) series, but it shares a lot of the modes and has great IQ. It’s also frickin tiny, approaching the point of being too small for my hands - here it is with the Pana 20/1.7 pancake which looks relatively huge despite being one of the smaller m43 lenses.

View attachment 159283

It’s not there to replace my GX8, which is much easier to shoot with and change settings on the fly, but as a pocket camera it seems really good so far, and in some ways it may even outperform it.
What lenses do you have?
I think I asked 3-4 years ago on this forum for advice and ended up with the cheapie Oly 40-150mm (amazing buy).

FridgeMagnet

Administrator
What lenses do you have?
I think I asked 3-4 years ago on this forum for advice and ended up with the cheapie Oly 40-150mm (amazing buy).
too many

25/1.4
20/1.7
14/2.5
42.5/1.7
45-150
14-140 mk ii
an old 14-42 kit lens somewhere

All Panasonic. The 25/1.4 is the best but it is a bit big for something this size - it fits well with the GX8 though.

too many

25/1.4
20/1.7
14/2.5
42.5/1.7
45-150
14-140 mk ii
an old 14-42 kit lens somewhere

All Panasonic. The 25/1.4 is the best but it is a bit big for something this size - it fits well with the GX8 though.
That's not too many!
That's quite a nice range of shots - can tell you prefer to use your feet.
I was researching the 25/ 1.4 but ended up with the 15/ 1.7.

FridgeMagnet

Administrator
That's not too many!
That's quite a nice range of shots - can tell you prefer to use your feet.
I was researching the 25/ 1.4 but ended up with the 15/ 1.7.
Yeah, I almost always shoot with primes, though the 45-150 is also pretty good. I don’t use the 14-140 much; it’s more of a video lens and I don’t shoot any video.

The 15/1.7 is probably going to be my next lens, though I don’t really need it as such....