Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 rangefinder style camera gets glowing review

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by editor, Aug 21, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DPreview has given it a glowing 84%/Silver award
    Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 review

Here's the comparisons I looked up from here. Pretty impressive stuff.

2018-08-21_014011.jpg

2. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral.

It seems to be a fabulous allrounder for most enthusiasts. However, no manual control over the ISO settings is a fundamental fuck up as far as I am concerned. I suspect the keen enthusiasts they are after will be put off by this also.

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I would be beyond amazed if you can't change ISO ratings manually. Where are you getting that from?

4. Stanley Edwards

Perhaps I am getting it wrong? From the review...

"Auto ISO
    The GX9 unfortunately comes with a rather simplistic Auto ISO system. You can set the range of ISO values to use and you can specify a minimum shutter speed, but leaving the minimum shutter speed to 'auto' sees the camera just using 1/60 sec as the minimum..."

5. Stanley Edwards

Even if I am understanding correctly, perhaps a software upgrade can override.

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That's only talking about the auto ISO system. You can still select ISO values manually.

Pickman's model likes this.
  7. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

that doesn't sound like the iso can't be manually set - after all, if you set it to auto iso you've obviously abrogated control on that function to the camera.

8. Pickman's model

you're not so it's unnecessary

9. Stanley Edwards

OK. Cool.

10. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

That’s just about the auto ISO setting, which it shares with the GX8 which I have and which _is_ pretty dumb. On the Ricoh GR for instance you can set a shutter speed threshold at which it will step up a stop in ISO, so for instance you can be sure that you’re at least at 1/250. Panasonic’s software doesn’t let you do that and fixes it at 1/60, at least for shorter lenses, which is fine for relatively static shots but is no good for street stuff.

I don’t have a problem with this in the daytime because I’m shooting with f1.4-1.7 lenses and ISO 200 (the base) always gives me a good speed. However at night or in dark places I have to manually set the ISO or I end up with a load of blurs.

editor and Pickman's model like this.
  11. FridgeMagnet

The thing that makes me pause about this is that apparently it’s got a worse EVF than the GX8. EVF performance is a deal breaker for me. (Admittedly I’m not going to buy another digital body anyway.)

Better JPEGs would be nice though - I never shoot raw and the GX8 just doesn’t do great JPEG colours IMO, though a lot of it’s down to the auto white balance. Manually setting WB seems to result in better colours even if you may need to adjust them in post.

12. Pickman's model

i had a look on amazon and i'm surprised it's only had one review (albeit a five star one) since february.

13. Stanley Edwards

I've got it now. You can select Auto, or Intelligent, or manually select from ISO 100 up to a very impressive 25,600!

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Oh for a dust-proof new Ricoh GR. It's still the best camera controls I've ever used on a compact.

15. FridgeMagnet

Yeah :/ I was considering sending mine off to get de-dusted but the idea that it’ll probably just get dusty again really puts me off. I guess we’ll see what the next version is like, that should be coming out soon.

16. FridgeMagnet

In practice, past ISO 3200 is a bit crap, and 3200 is not exactly fine art quality (though perfectly usable).

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's looong overdue, leading some to suspect there may never be a Mk3. I've looked at alternatives but nothing matches its size/quality.

18. Pickman's model

Can't see in that anything about max f number. How high does it go?

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Depends on the lens that's fitted.

20. Pickman's model

Yeh thought that might be the case as soon as I posted :oops:

21. FridgeMagnet

for the record I think the fastest lens available for the system is f0.95, which seems to be a general limit for reasons that I'm not sure about but an optical engineer could probably explain