Panasonic GH5, GH5S and G80 cameras - discussion

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by alsoknownas, Sep 19, 2016.

1. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

I agree, it's all quite strange, and leading to speculation in a wide number of directions (cinema camera, hybrid, L mount, new mount, etc.).
    Not sure what the strategy is. But I'm sure interested to find out.

2. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

I'd like them to do something that sits close to the EVA-1, almost poking into cinema camera territory. If it's just a more expensive GH5 with a BIGGER sensor then that will be less appealing.
    It's gonna be a difficult spec. Has to be great to compare favourably to the, already quite special, GH5 and GH5S, but if they push it too far they're gonna piss off a lot of people who laid out seven grand plus for an EVA-1. Tricky.

3. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

More assorted rumours coming out: (FT5) The new Panasonic FF camera aims for the big guys: Will compete against the Sony A9, Nikon D850 and top Canon cameras - 43 Rumors

Tbh I find this quite depressing if it’s all true, and with this level of rumour I’d guess that it’s basically true. I don’t want another feckin system and it implies that Panasonic will not be continuing to support m43, at least not with the same vigour. If I’m going to sell my Panasonic kit I’d best do it pretty soon.

Not joking, I’m thinking of getting a digital Leica M body, if I can work out how to get the cash. Obviously they are expensive as fuck but you know they are going to be supported indefinitely and not change lens mounts or anything. I recently got a spare part on my M6 installed for free at the Leica shop and that was made in 1990 iirc.

editor and alsoknownas like this.
  4. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Yeah, I guess I might be thinking along similar lines if I was more stills orientated. I do think Panasonic will continue with a two-tier system though. MFT is not just nifty, it allows them to lead with features. Superb IBIS, bodies cool enough to allow for 10-bit processing, etc. - all easier to implement with smaller components.

I think full frame will be where they try to cover off their competitors sales to wealthy customers basically - the 'bigger is better' crowd.

Hopefully the big winner will be video. I'm not so excited for a high mega-pixel monster, but I'm hopeful this will spawn a pro/enthusiast video-centric little brother. That would be in keeping with both Panny and Sony (who they seem to want to emulate) strategies.