Panasonic GH5, GH5S and G80 cameras - discussion

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by alsoknownas, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

I should be able to raise a fair chunk of cash by selling some of my existing kit. I presume shops try to give you as little as possible citing market conditions. I’m sure I’ll get more selling privately through eBay but the last time I used that to sell a small laptop a few years ago the buyer totally tried it on (with PayPal holding the money until it was resolved) and it took months to resolve; which won’t help me upgrading quickly.
    Do you have any advice around this or is it as I say above pretty much?

2. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Actually no, as I'm a bit of a hoarder who hasn't really ever sold much on. That will change soon as my GH4 is gonna have to part-finance my camera upgrade. Only thing I've been told is that the part exchange deals are a waste of time, and that you're best off selling privately.
    There's quite a few experienced sellers in the wider photography forum though I think.

Magnus McGinty likes this.
  3. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Cheers. I assumed as much.

4. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

I did try to sell a D600 a fair few years ago in some camera shops and they just all gave the ‘its a buyer’s market’ schtick whilst stroking their chins and offering a bag of sweets for it.
    Less hassle though than the private market.

5. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Any opinion on Veydra lenses? Their aperture isn’t as wide but they’re designed specifically for film rather than photography.

6. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

I've never used them, but they look like a good option.
    The thing is though, they're at the cheapest end of the cine lens scale (that doesn't mean they're cheap though obviously), which shows up in reported traits like focus breathing, etc.
    Secondly, do you really need the benefits of cine lenses? They look good, but your paying for features like common set sizes so film crews can mount them quickly, and other things you might live without.

I'd probably go for the voigts over those, but there's nothing wrong with them.

Magnus McGinty likes this.
  7. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Here's a recent screengrab by a guy called Jon Pais you might have come across. Does a lot of portrait video, and uses the Veydra cine primes a lot on the GH5:

32266510_171954960305389_1844656988701589504_o.jpg

editor likes this.
  8. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

That’s pretty good! I reckon I’ll be upgraded to the GH5 by the beginning of June. The money I get from old kit will mainly go towards some kind of lens ... I can’t predict how that’s going to go at all so I’ll probably get a Panasonic 25mm prime at the lower end, or the metabones adapter with Sigma lens at the wishful thinking end of the scale.

editor likes this.
  9. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

The native lenses are so convenient for the mft format, and definitely the way to go if you want a compact, lightweight system, but the fly-by-wire focus just kills it for me. I'm old school manual focus all the way, and I need proper responsive focus rings. It's a shame because they are all good lenses, including the 25mm (there are two versions I think - both great at each price point).

10. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

I didn’t realise the manual focus was lacking on the native lenses (which I need given the GH5’s autofocus isn’t the best for video). Just panicking that I won’t raise enough funds to upgrade properly so was looking at alternative lenses.

11. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

They do have a manual focus ring, but it works in an electronic, rather than mechanical fashion. It means that the focus responds in a slightly less predictable way. Some people don't mind it. I can't stand it. Maybe go into a shop and give it a go and see what you think.
    Some of the Olympus native glass has a clutch mechanism, which disengages the focus-by-wire and lets you switch to fully manual focus :cool:. I haven't tried this yet, but I think it's all the Olly lenses with the 'Pro' designation (and yes, that means they are more expensive :facepalm:).

12. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

For clarity - stuff like the Voightlanders and Vedras are native MFT, but have proper mechanical manual focus, rather than focus-by-wire.

13. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

These are the ones I want (or ultimately the megabones adapter with those Sigmas) - I’m sure I’ll manage it but I have something I need to film in July which is the pressure. I also want the audio adapter, the Rode wireless mic (although that can wait) and I like the look of the ZACUTO Z-G5C GH5 Cage to hold it all together.

14. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

I don’t mind the focus ring on the PanaLeica 25/1.4 but it is definitely a digital control that imitates a physical one. I mean that’s a good place to put it but I can’t use it without relying on focus peaking - I never get a feel for where I am.

alsoknownas likes this.
  15. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Oh and daft stuff that you never price in like a variable density filter and something to aid white balance on location (or to aid it in post, even).

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Perhaps of interest:

alsoknownas likes this.
  17. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

The GH5s is undeniably the better of the two especially if you want low light performance. Crucially for me is that it’s a lot more expensive plus doesn’t have IBIS, which I desire.