Panasonic GH5, GH5S and G80 cameras - discussion

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by alsoknownas, Sep 19, 2016.

1. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Teasy little video that is too small to tell much by, but which offers a hint at quite dramatic performance (possibly, maybe) (enable audio) :

2. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Unofficial:

[​IMG]

3. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Lot of rumours now saying it *won't* feature IBIS :(. That would be a shame. Apparently stabilisation reduces the ability to maximise the sensor (all to do with cooling). Does raise the possibility of RAW video (external) :cool:.

4. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

So today is the day when we should get some official news on this camera.
    The latest rumors are around the possibility of the unit using the new starvis sensor manufactured by Sony.
    This is a low light sensor using very new tech, which was developed specifically for security cameras!
    This would be an unusual development, but the story certainly has got some credibility to it.

5. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Lots of credible leaks today (full announcement this evening).

Dual ISO! :eek:

Probably no IBIS :(

6. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Anyone tuning in for the presser at 6pm? :hmm:

7. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Official! :thumbs:

8. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

Am I real poor or is that super expensive?

9. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

The thing about this stuff is that it's basically professional gear. So I'm a freelancer. I'm not well-off at all at the mo (working towards changing that *fingers crossed smillie*) but I do need to use a chunk of my income to keep my gear up to scratch or I can't work. Like a taxi driver buying a car, or a chef buying a top-of-the-range oven, I really can't survive without this sort of kit. For entry-level pro stuff it's actually exceedingly affordable (by comparison).

Virtual Blue likes this.
  10. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

So, I'm delighted about the ISO performance gains, which seem to have exceeded my expectations (3 - 3.5 stops seems to be the consensus). This will be a real game-changer for my work.
    The camera has some mad new STARVIS sensor technology made by Sony, which is what gives it it's 'monster' low-light capabilities.

The rest of the camera is very GH5-like, which is fine, and to be expected as this is a GH5 variant. The only dissapointment for me is that there isn't a unique Log gamma that dispenses with the 'Lite' limitations of the V Log L curve. Perhaps in a future update? Raw external too please!

The only downside of this is that IBIS has been sacrificed for whatever reason (price? market segmentation? technical issues? - who really knows?). This is bad news, as it's a feature I was starting to feel very attracted to. I think I might consider selling my GH4 and getting a GX80 as B-cam.

All-in-all a very exciting release. Of course I'll be watching reviews and footage with interest, but I'm also gonna start saving my pennies ;).

Virtual Blue likes this.
  11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Impressive!

alsoknownas likes this.
  12. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

In terms of video, these cameras are about to be blown out of the water by the recently announced Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K. The main downsides are no image stabilisation, the battery life will be shit and c-fast cards are fucking pricey.
    But the rest of the specs are pretty impressive.

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera | Blackmagic Design

13. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

That “90s bridge camera” aesthetic will help reduce the number of thefts too.

Nivag likes this.
  14. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Aye, it looks pretty non-descript, bar the 5” screen on the back.

15. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

The new Pocket Camera 4k apparently uses the same sensor as the Gh5S so the comparison of going to be very interesting indeed.

It will (if all goes well in terms of manufacture and distribution - BM have a mixed track record in this regard) be the greatest value video camera of all time, surely? Around a grand, with the highest specs of anything even closely priced (internal RAW!), and with the pro version of Resolve software, itself worth a few hundred quid, thrown in for free! :eek:

The GH5S image quality is superb, but it is let down at the higher ISO's by excessive built-in noise reduction. Accessing RAW data from that sensor, with Blackmagic's also excellent colour science is going to be killer, that much is for sure. Even the high-bitrate Prores files should be fairly spectacular.

But, you mention some of the downsides - obviously no IBIS is something both units have in common - but things like terrible battery life, iffy customer support, reliability problems (all speculative at this point, but things that have haunted BM in the past) - are significant problems if you're considering using this unit on a serious or professional project.

I'm interested in the camera, and at that price it could fit into the kit as a B or C cam. I'll feel more comfortable knowing I have the GH5S (which I haven't yet purchased) to pull out of the bag as a complete and reliable camera package that gets the job done, with perhaps the BMPC4K as a special unit for jobs where I have the time to manage it as a system, and manage the huge files that are likely to flow out of it!

Another fortunate thing about this is that the price of the GH5S is almost certain to drop as a result of the Pocket Cam release. Also it might (though this is in the realms of wishful thinking) force Panasonic to enable external RAW on one or both of the GH5 variants.

16. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

That’s definitely a major plus if you haven’t got any editing and/or colouring software. For those that have though it would be more beneficial for Blackmagic to either offer Prores raw, or to share their colour science with other software developers. As it stands it just means having to learn new software and then shoehorning it into your current workflow (if wanting to shoot in raw).

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    alsoknownas likes this.
  17. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Amazing to think that until quite recently Resolve Studio version was priced at $995 (USD), almost as much as the whole price for the new camera + Resolve license! :eek:
    Admittedly it has reduced to about a third of that lately, but still..!

AFAIK, you don't need Resolve to use BM CinemaDNG RAW files. You can do basic manipulation of them directly in Premiere for example, I think.

Resolve is a pretty amazing addition to an post-production setup though - it's unmatched for grading (though yes, learning the node-based workflow is gonna take some time), Fairlight Audio looks awesome, and there are some less-celebrated extras in there too, like noise-reduction (that costs money elsewhere) and a decent-looking particle system.

Actually come to think of it Resolve really is looking more and more like a viable Creative Cloud alternative with each new version. Hmmm...​

18. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

I’ll probably attempt to learn Resolve, although it looks difficult (and surely will take an age to master).
    It’s far easier to go the quick route using Colorista (which is why I’m excited about Prores, as compressed Mov files don’t have enough information in them to do properly).
    But those file sizes. You can write direct to an external SSD from the BMPC4K but then it’s working out where to put it that doesn’t get in the way. But those C-Fast cards; the 256Gb one will hold about 50 mins of 4K Prores and you don’t get much change from £700. Which is insane money for storage.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    alsoknownas likes this.
  19. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

Interesting observation from seeing all the YouTube filmers on Speakers Corner these days (which is basically everyone): it’s pretty much all Panasonic IME. No GH5s that I’ve seen, but G7 to GH4.

alsoknownas likes this.
  20. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Yeah, I just use Lumetri Color for grading most things.

Those kinds of considerations are what is going to keep both the GH5S and Pocket 4k as viable products imo. You're gonna need a V-lock battery (or a sack-load of Canon batteries) to keep it running long enough to be worthwhile. Then there's the media costs and/or mounting hassle. It'll still be a great camera, but the GH5S is gonna be far more suited to run-and-gun (not fond of that phrase) and fast turnaround work.

21. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Run and Gun is what to strive for. Currently I use a Nikon D7200 with a Saramonic pre-amp underneath (this drains a 9v battery in under an hour anyway providing phantom, so I’m used to battery regimes) to power an NTG-3 (yes, overkill but nothing in the lower leagues touches it) with an iPad controlling the camera via digital director (it makes the Nikon usable in real time) so it’s a massive bulk of kit and a hassle to carry just to produce a massively compressed file you can’t do a great deal with in post.
    So the new BM 4K camera solves a lot of issues, and some of the issues it has I already have as issues (battery charging regimes) but introduces new ones. I looked into loads of solutions to my current predicament and all arrows pointed to me moving away from DSLR for film work as they’re mostly for stills (apart from the ones in the OP).

alsoknownas likes this.
  22. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

:eek: Blimey! That's quite an exotic set-up. I'm sure you've considered this, but you'd feel fairly liberated with a GH5. 10-bit files, so plenty of headroom in post (though not as much as RAW obviously); Small batteries that last most of the day; Nice user interface, XLR hotshoe unit available (extra cost mind).

23. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Yeah. I did my usual trick of investing in gear then discovering afterwards their limitations. The mic is great but the blimp and boom pole are a pain to lug about plus it requires an extra person. One of those Rode ones that mount on the hot shoe would have been more practical.

24. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

I often mount my Rode NTG-2 mic (which is actually a bit longer than the mic you use, though not as good) using a hot shoe adapter like this one:

1589888.jpg
    Which works great, though the setup does look a bit goofy. Nothing beats boomed sound though.

25. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

How are you finding that? I ask because shotgun mics are designed to cancel out surrounding noise (that’s what all those slots on the side are for I think) so ideally you position them above the subject with the mic pointing downwards. If it’s mounted on top of the camera pointing at the subject you’ll pick them up but background noise also.

26. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Yeah, it's no substitute for using it boomed, but it's way more directional than the built-in camera mic. So if I'm wanting to pick up a bit of what's going on in front of the lens, which will likely be used over a music bed, or with an interview over the top of it, then it's a great option. It wouldn't work for actually recording clean dialogue or anything like that.

Magnus McGinty likes this.
  27. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Dunno if you're aware of it, but this is the official XLR adaptor for the GH5 & GH5S. Panasonic DMW-XLR1 (approx. £350)

[​IMG]
    Pretty nifty :cool:. I could do with additional mini-jack ins for my radio mics though :(.

28. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Looks roughly the same size as my Saramonic one for over three times the price! Does it run from the camera’s battery? Also does the camera come with a mini jack mic in?

29. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

The pre-amps are probably a step up from the Saramonic I would have thought, which is especially relevant if you're using a pricey mic! Yes, powered (and data transfer) through the hot-shoe I believe. GH4 / 5 / 5S have stereo mini-jack in, and headphone jack out.

30. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

I currently use this unit from Beachtek (I imagine it's quite similar to your Saramonic?) :

[​IMG]
    Has 1 XLR in, 2 x mono mini jacks + 1 stereo mini jack in (you can only output 2 channels at a time). Covers my needs pretty well at the moment.