1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic GH5, GH5S and G80 cameras - discussion

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by alsoknownas, Sep 19, 2016.

1. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Teasy little video that is too small to tell much by, but which offers a hint at quite dramatic performance (possibly, maybe) (enable audio) :

2. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Unofficial:

[​IMG]

3. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Lot of rumours now saying it *won't* feature IBIS :(. That would be a shame. Apparently stabilisation reduces the ability to maximise the sensor (all to do with cooling). Does raise the possibility of RAW video (external) :cool:.

4. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

So today is the day when we should get some official news on this camera.
    The latest rumors are around the possibility of the unit using the new starvis sensor manufactured by Sony.
    This is a low light sensor using very new tech, which was developed specifically for security cameras!
    This would be an unusual development, but the story certainly has got some credibility to it.

5. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Lots of credible leaks today (full announcement this evening).

Dual ISO! :eek:

Probably no IBIS :(

6. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Anyone tuning in for the presser at 6pm? :hmm:

7. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Official! :thumbs:

8. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

Am I real poor or is that super expensive?

9. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

The thing about this stuff is that it's basically professional gear. So I'm a freelancer. I'm not well-off at all at the mo (working towards changing that *fingers crossed smillie*) but I do need to use a chunk of my income to keep my gear up to scratch or I can't work. Like a taxi driver buying a car, or a chef buying a top-of-the-range oven, I really can't survive without this sort of kit. For entry-level pro stuff it's actually exceedingly affordable (by comparison).

Virtual Blue likes this.
  10. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

So, I'm delighted about the ISO performance gains, which seem to have exceeded my expectations (3 - 3.5 stops seems to be the consensus). This will be a real game-changer for my work.
    The camera has some mad new STARVIS sensor technology made by Sony, which is what gives it it's 'monster' low-light capabilities.

The rest of the camera is very GH5-like, which is fine, and to be expected as this is a GH5 variant. The only dissapointment for me is that there isn't a unique Log gamma that dispenses with the 'Lite' limitations of the V Log L curve. Perhaps in a future update? Raw external too please!

The only downside of this is that IBIS has been sacrificed for whatever reason (price? market segmentation? technical issues? - who really knows?). This is bad news, as it's a feature I was starting to feel very attracted to. I think I might consider selling my GH4 and getting a GX80 as B-cam.

All-in-all a very exciting release. Of course I'll be watching reviews and footage with interest, but I'm also gonna start saving my pennies ;).

Virtual Blue likes this.
  11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Impressive!

alsoknownas likes this.