Panama Paradise Papers

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by Bernie Gunther, Apr 3, 2016.

1. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

I take we all saw that, to nobodies suprise, the offshore money the great and good had stashed was in the company of international terrorist money and the blood money of organised crime

teqniq likes this.
  2. yield

yield zero

Potters Bar, Ukraine’s stolen billions and the Eurovision connection
    6 February 2018

3. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

4. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Space/time supply indicators near to zero

Like no one in UKG knew about these loopholes. FFS.

SpookyFrank, mojo pixy and teqniq like this.
  5. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

Well yes, exactly. I pretty much thought that when I read the first article yesterday, as do some of the readers judging by the comments.

6. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

the view from Bermuda

7. not-bono-ever

Panama Papers: Owners could not be traced

and there is more- Mossack were unable to determine the beneficial owner of 70% of their BVI companies. I know this is kinda the purpose of these vehicles but the response of the BVI financial authorities is belligerent and evasive to say the least. This is basic KYC stuff, it should not be something that is negotiable.
    /

8. not-bono-ever

9. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

Alternatively, Bermuda, the BVIs, Gibraltar et al can fuck right back in. I've not heard a convincing reason why the overseas territories and other bits of rock with the Union flag flying can't be brought under direct control. The Exchequer loses billions through them every year, yet foots the bill for their protection, so why not make them subject to mainland tax rules?

mojo pixy, Chilli.s and not-bono-ever like this.
  10. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

Because our unique array of tame tax havens is a boon for crooked business twats the world over. If Vasiliy Bugarov wants to move his looted billions somewhere he can hide them from the tax man while still enjoying the amenities of a state where someone is actually paying their taxes, London is the best choice by far.

I'm sure a few tory donors will be among the mystery benefactors of all these BVI shell companies as well. Not to say a former prime minister or two.

11. stavros

Like I said, no convincing reason.

not-bono-ever likes this.
  12. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

It's easy to sit in the center of Empire and say that the uppity colonies should do as they're told, and we'll send a gunboat if they don't. But that isn't real, not in 2018, is it? Real means respecting them and their rights to self determination and using negotiation within a legal and constitutional framework.

13. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

Real also ought to mean level playing fields. The proposal insists that some places, most of which happen to have black populations, should have to unconstitutionally change their financial service regulation while allowing other, mostly white, places to carry on regardless. Why should Bermuda or BVI be forced to change yet Jersey and the IoM not?

14. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

The French method with their little rumps of empire is to incorporate them fully as part of France.

15. not-bono-ever

B

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  16. not-bono-ever

and i am off to bed. goodnight

17. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

Same applies, the legal and constitutional arrangements would have to be changed at the whim of the mother country. Not to mention the practical issues: would the 300 people on Tristan da Cunha get an MP of their own or would they be expected to share one with the 49 from Pitcairn, 10,447km away?

18. stavros

Why not both?

Badgers likes this.
  19. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

That's not what's been proposed.

20. stavros

I thought I proposed it, in post 699 above. I know there are various statuses for the UK outposts - overseas dependencies, Crown Dependencies, overseas territories - and I'm sure ways could be found, where there was willing on the part of the UK government, to close the assorted loopholes in each of them. The precise mechanics of this would require people more schooled in these matters than me.

Badgers likes this.
  21. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

I meant proposed in parliament. TBH it's the colonialist mechanics of what's been proposed that interests me, why one set of outposts and not others, how the constitutional and legal barriers will be dealt with. It strikes me as a can of worms and I'm highly doubtful that transparency will happen anytime soon.