Panama Paradise Papers

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by Bernie Gunther, Apr 3, 2016.

1. yield

yield zero

I doubt there will ever be complete transparency. How much is legal "corporate structuring," and how much is tax evasion, drug money, gun smuggling, oligarchs ill gotten gains?

José Mourinho accused of €3.3m tax fraud in Spain
    Coach utilised image rights structure incorporating Ireland and British Virgin Islands
    Tue, Jun 20, 2017

2. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

3. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

Tax haven secrets of ultra-rich exposed

Paradise Papers - OCCRP

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    mojo pixy likes this.
  4. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

5. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  6. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Well it should be a fascinating week.

gawkrodger likes this.
  7. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow daft apeth

They're trying to be helpful to Brenda perhaps...

8. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Sounds like some of the subjects to be covered during the co-ordinated release of stories in the press this week are:
    • Aggressive tax avoidance by multinational corporations, including Nike and Apple.
    • How some of the biggest names in the film and TV industries protect their wealth with an array of offshore schemes.
    At least those are some of the things a Guardian overview article mentions today but that they don't have detailed stories about yet.

9. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

10. salem

salem Well-Known Member

This is looking bigger then the Panama papers. More significant then the Texas shooting which is telling.

11. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

its not like aristo's to fuck the rest of us while accumulating wealth they will never spend is it?

Aslo: heres hoping the shit sticks to trudaeu and ruins his career.

12. Raheem

Raheem Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This stuff makes me so fucking angry. So many people living in poverty and tax avoiding scumbags doing everything they can to keep them that way. Oh and fuck Mrs Browns Boys and their filthy tactics.

gawkrodger, Celyn, CNT36 and 2 others like this.
  14. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

NoXion and Badgers like this.
  15. Smangus

Smangus comatose at a desk

It's a shit unfunny programme anyhow , no idea what people see in it. Tax dodging cunts.

16. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

I'm glad this is getting mainstream exposure, but the actual acts are hardly surprising. Every issue of Private Eye has several mentions of the Channel Islands, the Caymans, the BVIs, Luxembourg et al, and either the Beeb or C4 had a doc on the BVIs a few months ago.

17. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

I don't think the picture revealed by this stuff is supposed to be a revelation, rather its playing to the hatred that the fuckers who play these games have for specific details (eg their own) becoming public. They hate specifics.

18. stavros

True. The tax advantages possibly come second to the ability to squirrel away naughty money without any questions being asked.

Constitutionally, does anyone know what it takes for the UK to take all the overseas territories under direct rule? I remember someone in that BVIs documentary saying that change could only come from Westminster, rather on the islands themselves.

NoXion likes this.
  19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm already fucking livid after only 10 mins of the BBC1 Panorama piece.

Oh and fuck Lewis Hamilton.

20. Raheem

Raheem Well-Known Member

I have a sinking feeling that the righteous anger of British public over all going to end up channeled into Mrs Brown's Boys getting moved to a slightly later timeslot.

salem likes this.
  21. stavros

Is this an example of the popular press driving, or not in this case, the political agenda? Prior to last year, we'd had years of scare stories about the EU and immigrants, some valid, some not. The result was we got a referendum on EU membership.

Tax dodging has been around for decades, using many British territories as well as Switzerland, Monaco, Luxembourg, et al. Supposed threats to the UK rights to Gibraltar and the Falklands always focus on sovereignty, never their fiscal autonomy.

Yet we never have tabloid outrage about the billions lost to the UK economy as a result, in the way that EU contributions or foreign aid receive. Heaven forbid that the tax affairs of Messrs Barclay, Harmsworth, Murdoch and Desmond have anything to do with this.

Almor likes this.
  22. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

This why those dependant on the tabloids, and their v sim on-line Avatars and "co-Roaders" are always in a state of shock ready to be moved in thought wherever may be needed
    First year shit for marketing gits
    First disturb and worry the target audience........

23. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

24. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

I hadn't realised Daphne Caruana Galizia was working on the Panama Papers when she got killed. I also didn't realise quite how rotten Maltas security and politicos clearly are.

Badgers likes this.
  25. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

Apparently it's one of the go-to places for money laundering. also although they've now arrested 10 people in connection with her murder, what's the betting that those who ordered it never get their collars felt?

Badgers likes this.
  26. yield

yield zero

HMRC 'struggling to deal with fallout of Paradise Papers leak'
    Fri 12 Jan 2018
    Parliament’s spending watchdog says agency faces ‘potentially catastrophic consequences’ juggling effects of the leak, Brexit and 15 other programmes
    Nothing new or surprising but worth a read.

Badgers likes this.
  27. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

28. yield

yield zero

29. stavros

I've yet to hear why the UK can't take its own overseas territories under direct rule, and hence tax them as a part of the country.

Chilli.s likes this.
  30. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

All the obvious reasons. :(