Panama Paradise Papers

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by Bernie Gunther, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Duncan2

Duncan2 Well-Known Member

Kylie Morris wants to know why Gideon has only published one year's tax-returns when his boss and,it would seem, Boris also have published five.He declined to comment but the point was made.

Greebo likes this.
  2. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

3. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

4. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

5. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Free the Sepsis Six!

6. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

So Mossack Fonseca are the 4th largest of these offshore/shell company type law firms? And the data leak has caused all this cool shit. Who the merry fuck are the top 3 and what are they hiding???

mojo pixy likes this.
  7. keybored

keybored ㋛̶̶̵̙̜̝̖̝̭̎̀̔̌̕

Or it could just be that they hate "soccer" so much that they decided to just arrest anyone involved in it.

dylanredefined likes this.
  8. DotCommunist

DotCommunist specter haunting

its a popular sport for the kids of the middle classes these days- hence the phrase 'soccer mom'

9. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 Well-Known Member

10. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

11. DotCommunist

DotCommunist specter haunting

he's not living in the kremlin, stinking up an ecudoran embassy or in a military jail so when it comes to high profile leakage they appear to be doing alright. TBH I think it'd be others on these banking dets that I'd be worried about. drug/trafficking etc money, sort of people who would kill. Proably slowly.

12. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

I'm not suggesting that they make themselves know to all and sundry it's just that governments in general have a parlous record when it comes to whistleblowers and the reasons are not difficult to discern.

13. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 Well-Known Member

14. Ranbay

Ranbay The same rules apply

15. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

Such a horseshit argument, you don't have to give your home address when registering as a director. You could use your solicitors office or any number of other options.

16. brogdale

brogdale Coming to terms with late onset Anarchism

Exquisite timing.
    :D

ViolentPanda and teqniq like this.
  17. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

18. yield

yield zero

Panama: The Hidden Trillions. NYRB.
    Alan Rusbridger. October 27, 2016
    Recap & book reviews.

Chilli.s and two sheds like this.
  19. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

Isn't the real story 'former Guardian journalist and editor apparently unaware of how anything in the world really works'?

20. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

I was going to say, when did people at the political front line, including journalists, ever think that tax havens were a "minor part of our economic system"?

21. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

When they were lying to us

Badgers likes this.
  22. yield

yield zero

23. stavros

I'm sure Labour have friends and donors who are among those who frequent such places, but I'm sure that they'd lose less backing than the Tories if they said they would bring the British overseas territories under direct rule and in accordance with UK tax legislation. Liaison with Portugal, France, the Netherlands et al about doing the same with theirs would complement this.

NoXion and yield like this.
  24. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

MPs from Bermuda, Falklands, Turks & Caicos Islands and so on in parliament? or just Empire?

Badgers likes this.
  25. stavros

These details should be worked out via consultation, and I would defer to those wiser in diplomatic and colonial matters than me. I simply want the weapons of tax-dodging removed. Currently, whenever anyone suggests raising corporation or the top bracket income taxes, they're met with the argument that individuals and organisations will leave the UK and so tax take will go down. If they did leave and join those who've already done so, as well as Luxembourg, Switzerland and Monaco many will relocate to the places you name, or the Isle of Man, the Channel Islands, the BVIs, Gibraltar, etc. These are UK dependencies, so maintaining their current statuses is self-defeating, as they harm the income of HMRC and thus UK public spending*.

*Disclaimer: I am a public sector worker.

teqniq likes this.
  26. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

Just curious :) I share the frustration, something must be done but quite what that is is a mystery. The treaties that gave the territories economic independence under the crown originated centuries ago, and there' are limited ways for an imperialist power to tear them up. And there's massive vested interests.

27. stavros

I'm loathe to say it won't ever happen, as we've had predictions countered quite a bit recently, but it would be nice for it to at least become part of the regular political discourse. In all the dick-waving over Gibraltar recently, I've not heard its cost to the Exchequer mentioned once in the popular media. The figures are virtually impossible to be precise about, but I'm sure the British overseas territories hide at least a comparable amount to what is "wasted" on the EU, foreign aid, benefits, health & safety, MPs' expenses and the other regular bugbears. Matters aren't helped by our labyrinthine domestic tax system and the revolving door between Whitehall and those companies who exploit the loopholes.

J Ed likes this.
  28. stavros

Thinking about this a bit more, whilst those you mention may be more complex, I can't see any logistical reason why the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands can't be brought into line, with their own Westminster MPs. Gibraltar isn't much further from London than the northern Scottish islands.

29. yield

yield zero

$1.5 trillion of assets move through the British Virgin Islands — twice as much as previously thought
    21/06/17
    The British Virgin Islands is one of many there's also Bermuda, the Cayman Islands, and the Bahamas. (Original FT article is behind a paywall)

30. stavros

Not only are they used for tax dodging, they're also ripe for funneling very dodgy money through trusts with secret owners. There's currently no way of knowing how much crime they abet in this way, at least without leaks like Panama.