Palestinian Protesters Being Shot By the IDF Whilst Running Away

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by Humirax, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

2. Idris2002

Idris2002 the liberation forces make movies of their own

Regarding this one, it may be a bigger deal than it looks, as this post on the reddit chap trap house sub argues (I didn't write this, in fact I've never been to New York):

"I've always thought of the Daily News as an outer borough, white ethnic paper. Like everybody who reads it is a white guy or gal in their late 50s or older who drops Yiddishisms in their speech, puts green bunting on their house on St Patrick's Day, or really does say "gabagool" unironically. They miss da old days when everybody on the street knew your name, the bagels were always fresh, the pizza just a nickel a slice, and all the men wore suits. They mostly vote Democrat and never liked Trump in the first place (I feel like the NYDN has shit on him for years) but they aren't left.

The perfect case study for this is when Bobby Thomson and Duke Snider died. For those who don't know, the SF Giants and LA Dodgers used to play in Harlem and Brooklyn respectively until 1957, and authentic old-timey New Yawkahs have NEVER gotten over those two teams leaving. Snider was a Hall of Fame player for the Dodgers, and Thomson was a Glasgow-born Staten Island kid who hit an extremely famous National League pennant winning home run for the Giants against the Dodgers in 1951. It's what's playing on the radio when Sonny Corleone is shot at the tool booth in the Godfather. Don DeLillo spends a significant part of Underworld recounting the game. It's fair to call it one of the seminal moments in the history of New York City.

Anyway, both those guys died a few years ago, and the Times did their usual thing of having an article somewhere. The Times has always considered itself a bit too good for sports. The Post had a blurb on their front page and maybe a small secondary photo on their back (sports) page.

The Daily News put Thomson's death on the front and back covers as the only story, and Snider's death as the exclusive back cover and a major header on the front cover. They gave it so much more prominence than any other newspaper. I think that shows where they're coming from.

Which means this is sort of a big deal, because their substantial number of Jewish readers are very much gonna have a conception of Israel taken from Paul Newman in Exodus and one-eyed Moshe Dayan beating back the Arab armies trying to drive the Jews into the sea, so to really point both barrels at Israel like this says a lot about how people are feeling about Israel."

3. bemused

bemused Well-Known Member

I watched Stephen Crabb perform Olympic levels of whataboutery on the Daily Politics whilst not answering the very simple question 'is it right for democracies to shoot at protestors with firearms?' I get that Crabb is chairman of the Friends of Isreal, I'm also willing to accept his point that there was gunfire between troops and fighters - but not being able to simply condemn the apparent policy of shooting protestors in the legs is made it look like a callous apologist.

Richard Burgon was luck Crabb was on the show, it made his reluctance to condemn Hamas look less halfwitted.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  4. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

this point about your actual gunfire between troops and fighters, have you a respectable source to confirm?

sounds to me like a rehash of the auld lie about ira gunfire on bloody sunday

Badgers likes this.
  5. bemused

I believe the sources are the IDF who've detained a number of fighters trying to cross the borders with guns and grenades. It's a case of a few dozen people trying it on, rather than sustained exchanges of gunfire.

likesfish likes this.
  6. Idris2002

Idris2002 the liberation forces make movies of their own

To digress, the obvious problem with that one - bloody sunday I mean - was that the army PR bods never produced pics or other evidence of bullets striking near where the paras were known to be standing.

Pickman's model likes this.
  7. Pickman's model

strangely no news reports returned by a search for 'idf detained fighters'

strange that

Badgers likes this.
  8. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

The contrast between safely detaining armed men who have crossed a fence and shooting unarmed men, women, kids and journalists who haven't crossed a fence is one that should be highlighted, I feel.

Ralph Llama and crossthebreeze like this.
  9. bemused

10. Pickman's model

Badgers likes this.
  11. dylanredefined

dylanredefined Not a house elf a tiger

• Inappropriate Content
    Back to the camps you filthy jews. Is what you mean.

12. shifting gears

shifting gears Well-Known Member

I've reported that you sick fuck

flypanam, Nylock, campanula and 4 others like this.
  13. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

Bit early to be this pissed isn't it?

14. Pickman's model

by no means. no state has a right to exist, be it the byzantine empire, the zionist entity, the soviet union.

Badgers, Ralph Llama and mojo pixy like this.
  15. mojo pixy

mojo pixy unquantifiable hazards

Not quite true. Any state with a military capable of defending the borders has the "right" to exist. Might makes it so.

likesfish and dylanredefined like this.
  16. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

That's ability not right.

17. Pickman's model

so you're saying that costa rica has forfeited its 'right' to exist.

but i agree with teaboy, that's ability you mean, not right.

to take a human example, someone who is 18 might be able to repel an assault on their life, but by the age of 80 is less likely to be able to sufficiently defend themself. we would say the same person has a right to life independently of their actual ability to defend themself effectively. states do not have a similar right to life.

Badgers, Ralph Llama and Teaboy like this.
  18. bimble

bimble noisy but small

The whole conversation about 'right to exist' is so pointless why bring it up unless you're 12?

mojo pixy likes this.
  19. Pickman's model

ask sasaferrato, who introduced it to the conversation.

Badgers likes this.
  20. D'wards

D'wards I'm an excellent driver

21. dylanredefined

dylanredefined Not a house elf a tiger

[​IMG] Its got a name.

22. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

Praying to be martyred is all they have isn't it? What else can you do in that situation, under siege, held in what is effectively a prison? It's fucking horrific and I am not surprised in the slightest that people have reached the point where you feel it's do or die. :(

23. Pickman's model

yeh, i know what you call the zionist entity

Badgers likes this.
  24. likesfish

likesfish officaly hardest and most tooled up urbanite:)

Israelis seem to believe the Palestinians are a slavering horde intent on feasting on Israeli brains:facepalm: which probably means they are going to be rather hungry if they catch up with the IDF high command or government:hmm:.
    shooting dangerous arson kite flyers https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DdQFQGMX4AEn16N.jpg:large
    [​IMG]
    offical idf tweet kites childern and disabled civillians theyare coming right at us

25. Pickman's model

yeh but these aren't any old ropes, disabled civilians etc, these are highly trained and motivated hamas ropes, disabled civilians etc

cyril_smear, Badgers and likesfish like this.
  26. bimble

bimble noisy but small

I get that its asking a lot but you know it would be great if people could try not to say stuff like this as if all israelis have one brain one point of view, i don't know you but would you talk like that about any other collection of people based on the state they live in ?
    Hundreds protest in Tel Aviv over bloodshed in Gaza

crossthebreeze likes this.
  27. Pickman's model

upload_2018-5-16_19-52-4.png
    yeh i can see that there are people in the z.e. who oppose what's happened.

but hundreds of people across the zionist entity isn't really a great show of opposition to the massacre.

28. bimble

bimble noisy but small

It's fucked there i totally agree, look who they keep voting for, just not necessary to speak of israelis as monothought murderous collective thing, if you wouldn't do that about any other nation. If there's to be any hope at all it rests with those left out of such statements as likefish's.

crossthebreeze likes this.
  29. krtek a houby

krtek a houby how's it going to end?

Yes it's called Nakba

[​IMG]

30. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

What's the Hamas plan when (if) they get through the border?