Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Palestine solidarity demos in the UK

Cake sale solidarity.

At the Crick institute in London some staff organised a bake a cake sale for Gaza with money raised going to MAP Medical Aid for Palestinians.

HR then got complaints that the cake sale had made them feel "unsafe"

Further sales were banned by the mge

The Director of Crick institute waded in with email to staff suggesting that any further cakes sales should be to fund a "neutral" charity.

The word Palestinian in MAP was the problem.

Same director of Crick hadn't been "neutral " on Ukraine. Holding forth with long article on the Crick website

Doesn't really suprise me. Any support for Palestinians in Gaza makes one suspect. Ukraine a different matter.

Cake sale solidarity.

At the Crick institute in London some staff organised a bake a cake sale for Gaza with money raised going to MAP Medical Aid for Palestinians.

HR then got complaints that the cake sale had made them feel "unsafe"

Further sales were banned by the mge

The Director of Crick institute waded in with email to staff suggesting that any further cakes sales should be to fund a "neutral" charity.

The word Palestinian in MAP was the problem.

Same director of Crick hadn't been "neutral " on Ukraine. Holding forth with long article on the Crick website

Doesn't really suprise me. Any support for Palestinians in Gaza makes one suspect. Ukraine a different matter.
It's about whiteness as a political concept and the white privilege that stems from it. Hence, the reason why Ukraine is seen by some as a more worthy cause.

Last edited:
Hmmm, mysterious disappearing post. Have we had another visit from that person who likes getting banned a lot? I did spend a while today mentally drafting a response while bored at work, but if the post's vanished then I suppose there's no point.

Hmmm, mysterious disappearing post. Have we had another visit from that person who likes getting banned a lot? I did spend a while today mentally drafting a response while bored at work, but if the post's vanished then I suppose there's no point.
It got fully fumigated.

Yeah I saw that post and could tell it was him again instantly so no surprise it disappeared

If anyone's free in Glasgow tomorrow night:
1720557068132.png
Following the brutal police violence yesterday in Govan - we're playing a fundraising gig next week 10th July - 7-11pm in GLASGOW

🍉Free Palestine, Support the Thales arrestees!🍉

Music:
KUTE, Brunnera, Radio Banter, UNBEGUN, 100% Positive Feedback

Words (from 7-8 so get down early and support!):
Etzali Hernández, Gracie Mae Bradley, Gloria Dawson, River MacAskill + more

🍉£5-10 donation, all funds to support people arrested at blockades of the Thales factory, and future actions.
Weds 10th July - 7-11pm🍉
At McNeil's, 106 Torrisdale St, Glasgow G42 8PH

Is he not an anti-vax crank too? :hmm:
Yep, he's fucking scum. From what I remember he never recanted his Powellite views and has repeated them in one form or another over the years. Also a wife beater and self confessed rapist. From his wiki page:

During a 1999 interview with The Sunday Times, Clapton admitted to raping and abusing her while they were married and he was a "full-blown" alcoholic who felt entitled to sex.[195]

Fair enough.

The Lambeth Labour Cllr who the ruling right wing Labour group suspended indefinitely for voting for Green Party motion at Lambeth Council meeting for Lambeth Council supporting a ceasefire was the only Jewish Cllr. He happen to be spokesperson for Momentum

He was the sole Cllr from Momentum

All the rest either keep their heads down or are Progress supporters. So got few months suspension. He was singled out for being on the left.

Lambeth Council fell over itself to adopt the IHRA plus examples not just for the local Labour party but for the whole of Lambeth with little consultation amongst the ethnic minority groups who make up Lambeth population.

It was merely a move to attack Corbyn

The irony that a Labour Council which adopted IHRA then in effect de selects a Jewish Cllr ( indefinite suspension means in effet he will not be reselected for seat) is lost on them

IMO the right of party and Starmer going on about rooting out anti semitism is entirely cynical. And done for factional purposes.
The Labour Party's got previous in disciplining Jewish members over accusations of anti-Semitism.

Pro-Palestine Jews: Purged by Starmer's Labour, now Voting Green

Former Labour councillor Jo Bird is standing to be an MP for the Green Party after Keir Starmer's regime pushed her out over supporting Palestine. Jo and her mum Rica were accused of anti-Semitism for criticising Israel, despite being Jewish women themselves. Declassified's John McEvoy went to Birkenhead to uncover one of the most inconvenient stories of this general election - the ex-Labour Jewish members now supporting the Greens, outraged at Starmer's treatment of Palestine activists.

The PSC is conducting a planned demonstration, which will start in Park Lane and end in Whitehall. At the same time, the “Enough is Enough” campaign group is holding a static demonstration on the route of the march.

No counter demos known of

Went to today's emergency demo at Downing Street. Enlivened by the SWP being unhappy that their speeches were drowned out by the drummers and chanters. (Who would actually be audible in Downing Street, unlike the speeches). It came close to the police stepping in to separate the two factions :) But eventually the drummers and chanters positioned themselves by General Slim and continued, while I have no idea what happened with the SWP demo. Left about 730 so I don't know what else happened...

Few important northwest ones coming up:
Wednesday 14th:
1723538940279.png
Three others have been arrested and detained without charge, allegedly in connection to the six who dismantled the research hub of Israel’s biggest weapons producer. Rally in support of one of the now #Filton9, detained without charge in Manchester.

Mobilise on Wednesday 14th August from 7PM at North Manchester police station, M40 5BQ.

Saturday 24th:
1723539002884.png

📢 BAE SYSTEMS - STOP ARMING ISRAEL 📢

Save the Date: Saturday, 24th August

GMFP coach from Manchester leaving at 11.45am and returning back around 4.30pm. Seats £5 or £10 solidarity. Please contact us or @gmf_palestine or email contact@gmfriendsofpalestine.org for tickets.

We’re joining forces with groups across the North to send a powerful message to BAE Systems.

Their Samlesbury facilities produce parts for F-35 fighter jets used in devastating airstrikes on Gaza and Yemen. Since October 7, 2023, over 5,000 airstrikes in Gaza have led to massive civilian casualties and destruction, with more than 20,000 children murdered.

We won’t stand for BAE Systems’ complicity in these atrocities through their US contracts. It’s time to hold them accountable and demand an end to their role in this violence.

Join us on 24th August and let’s make our voices heard. Together, we can push for change! 🇵🇸❤️

🗓️ Saturday 24 August
⏰ 1 pm
📍 BAE Systems, Myerscough Smithy rd, Blackburn, BB2 7LB

Supported by over 24 Northern Palestine Organisations

This is pretty important imo:

British counterterrorism police have charged seven people with violent disorder over a break-in at a building belonging to Israeli defence firm Elbit in southwest England.

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said on Tuesday that seven people, aged between 20 and 51, have been charged with criminal damage, violent disorder and aggravated burglary over an incident at the Elbit Systems premises in South Gloucestershire on August 6.

“On the facts of this case, the CPS will be submitting to the court that these offences have a terrorist connection,” the CPS said in a statement.

Members of Palestine Action were due to appear at London’s Westminster Magistrates’ Court later on Tuesday.

Avon and Somerset Police said the group forced its way into the building and “seriously assaulted” staff after smashing the gate with a vehicle and driving into the compound.

Palestine Action rejected allegations of violence against police and security staff and said the authorities had launched a “smear campaign” to prejudice the outcome of the trial and “lay the groundwork for the police unjust use of authoritarian powers”.

“We refuse to be intimidated into allowing a genocide to happen,” it said in a statement.
Although I'm a bit shaky on what "submitting to the court that offences have a terrorist connection" means if they're not actually being charged with terror offences? Presumably they're just charging them with regular crimes but asking the courts to be tougher in sentencing?

Also, upcoming Na'amod events in London and Manchester on Friday:

! CALL TO ACTION !​

Join us this Friday – Manchester at 5pm, London at 6pm.​

RSVP for exact locations.

Today, on Tisha B’Av, we mourn the destruction of the Temples and the many devastations in Jewish history.

There is so much to grieve this year.

In Gaza, nowhere is safe from Israeli bombs - not in schools, not at prayer, not in the tents where families seek refuge after their homes have been reduced to rubble.

Our hearts are with those brutally held captive by Hamas in Gaza and in Israeli torture camps, and with families in mourning.

We must urgently act to prevent further massacres.

Right now, the UK continues to licence arms to Israel, aiding and abetting its genocidal war.

We will be protesting once again to demand the UK end its complicity.

Speakers at the London rally will include Yasmine Ahmed, the UK director of Human Rights Watch.

Back
Top Bottom