1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pair of twats jump off DLR train into Canary Wharf Dock

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by editor, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Same as the many people who work on construction sites who die as the results of falls. 'Not wanting to die' doesn't prevent those deaths. What they often have in common though is either faulty equipment or people doing stupid shit...

2. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Bad choice of words perhaps. I reckon the dock (which I pass on the way to work) is fifty ish metres across and the bit with the people on it about four metres. The momentum from the train won't affect the trajectory of the jumpers enough to move them very far from a straight downwards trajectory. They would have to try quite hard to hit the bit with the people on it rather than the water. Presumably they've accepted the danger of standing on top of a train and jumping into a big pool of water of unknown depth but not jumping off a train onto flat concrete.

I'd be more worried about jumping close to the pillar. The dock must be a few metres deep as they used to sail big ships into it but who knows how wide the pillar is underwater. I seriously doubt they did an exploratory dive first.

3. Ho Chi Ming

Ho Chi Ming I only follow one party: the Mongo party

You're likelier to get the timing wrong crossing a road than these two were jumping into that vast expanse of water.

4. phillm

phillm Trolling through Life (TM)

;);););)

[​IMG]

5. StoneRoad

StoneRoad RIP Greebo being kinder heckling from the back!

I hate bliddy tombstoners (It's called that for a reason).
    funny that it is nearly always males ...
    I've had to help drag one onto dry land, luckily nothing seriously damaged, but the cold shock and hitting head effectively knocked the plonker out for a bit and he nearly drowned. Local lifeboat crew were not impressed as the group had been evicted from the lifeboat pier / pontoon earlier and warned that the water was very murky and cold.

cupid_stunt likes this.
  6. bromley

bromley ...isn't as good as Lewisham.

7. bromley

bromley ...isn't as good as Lewisham.

8. drachir

drachir Well-Known Member

I'm torn between "fucking idiots", and "that's cool as fuck".

9. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Up to my tits in quilts

And yet....jumping off piers* can be safe if people have local knowledge of tide states and rocks etc
    agree its dangerous to rock up and jump off big structures that create their own dangerous currents

*I'm thinking of small piers in Jersey that people have always jumped off and that are now being targeted to issue fines for jumping

10. Chilli.s

Chilli.s Well-Known Member

(Mr) Carnage, what a fucking pillock, needs a few big bills/fines for him or probably his family to pay.

edit for clarity

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  11. Long before the fail whipped itself up in to a lather about people jumping into water it was called tombstoning cos of the way you jumped, feet first with arms by your side, looking like a tombstone.

If you take the number of jumps in to water vs the number of injured people, the utter lack of danger does make you wonder what all the fuss is about, then you realise it's the Mail getting all frothy about it...

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  12. StoneRoad

StoneRoad RIP Greebo being kinder heckling from the back!

nope, it is dangerous.
    apart from the risk of clouting something or someone, the cold shock is something the RNLI have warned about - see the "float to live" and "respect the water" campaigns run during recent months ...
    Get involved | RNLI Respect the Water

About a decade ago (unfortunately I don't have the full details although I saw the whole thing) a local lad decided to swim out in the outer harbour at Whitby and collect a loose small boat that was drifting out with the ebb tide. He was using his local knowledge and being a strong swimmer, thought that it would be an easy favour to help the owner. About three quarters of the way out the cold gave him a bad cramp and he suddenly disappeared under the water. I know the inshore lifeboat crew fished him out quickly, and tried CPR but he was DOA at the hospital.

In 2013 at Whitby Harbour, three people drowned in separate incidents ...

13. What has cold water shock got to do with jumping in to water, surely the danger from that is the entering the water itself, not the manner in which you enter?

14. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

Suddenness and that they're unlikely to be wearing a wetsuit - might just give the game away.

I can't get myself worked up about these kids but I'd be amazed if they haven't now been arrested and banned from the railways (trespass). This does look like a pretty safe jump to have chosen but if I worked on the railways I wouldn't want them getting overconfident, doing it again elsewhere and ending up mangled under a train.

15. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

Oh honestly. If they got their timing so wrong that they jumped off 5 seconds later and landed on pedestrians on the canal path... Just no.