Paid holiday for religious observance

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Hollis, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Hollis

Hollis Bloody furious

This doesn't seem fair.. everyone at my place is entitled to 2 days paid holiday to attend to their religious festivals. This is in addition to normal Bank Holidays and.. holiday.

I don't mind them getting 2 days - but surely everyone should be entitled to this extra time regardless of what they choose to worship or not.

< looks up national secular day?>

2. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Warning: posts may cause vasovagal presyncope

This is in your contract? What does it say?

While it's nice that people of faith get paid leave to do their thing, you're right, it doesn't seem fair that if you're not religious you are getting two days paid leave fewer because of your beliefs.

Celyn likes this.
  3. Hollis

Hollis Bloody furious

Staff handbook.. don't think it's in the contract.

4. 8ball

8ball Up to something

I'm pretty sure you're entitled to Death Star Vanquishment day and a Khyber Crystal day of your choice.

A380, pengaleng, scifisam and 6 others like this.
  5. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

Quantum entanglement day.

It can go on for weeks. :thumbs:

kropotkin and friedaweed like this.
  6. cheesethief

cheesethief Well-Known Member

Surely the logical answer is to swap Xmas days off for those who follow different religious festivals?

frogwoman likes this.
  7. Chilli.s

Chilli.s changed the little words

I'd be demanding midsummer day, Stonehenge and all that. Probably go for Halloween too.

8. Mrs D

Mrs D .

Can’t you be a cultural Anglican? Then you’ll have over 250 saint’s days etc to choose from. You could just not turn up on random days and be like “of course I had to stay home, yesterday was the Thursday following the Sunday after Pentecost, also the Festival of Barnabas the Apostle”

A380, frogwoman, pengaleng and 7 others like this.
  9. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

I cannot believe this would stand up to any workplace equality rules.

Fez909 likes this.
  10. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Xmas/Boxing day are public (Bank) holidays, so the logic doesn't work unless you are suggesting we denationalise Christmas and desecularise the State.

11. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

This actually happens informally with a lot of shiftworkers (who have to work bank holidays) already.

I think the OP should just go and claim two culturally significant days, however tenuous, and see what the reaction is. I think they'd be on pretty shaky ground refusing it.

12. 8ball

8ball Up to something

13. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

World naked whatever days tend to be on the weekend so probably not worth claiming.

14. 8ball

8ball Up to something

Ach - looks like it was bank holiday Monday here.

Though not a bank holiday in the States.

15. cheesethief

cheesethief Well-Known Member

Surely desecularise would mean bringing religion into it, which it already is by virtue of the bank holiday being on the baby Jesus' birthday. I would prefer to secularise it, remove the religious connotations entirely, ditch the enforced bank holidays over Xmas and offer them to employees as regular, extra holiday days to be taken as & when, either arbitrarily for the non-religious or used to coincide with religious festivals for the faithful. Problem solved. <takes a bow>

Hollis likes this.
  16. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Oops yes I meant secularise.
    Yes, clearly your cunning plan to ditch national holidays solves the problem *applause* :)

17. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

Tell them you feel drawn to Mecca .

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  18. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Seagulls are cunts

Then spend your day off playing bingo

19. littlebabyjesus

I think there is something to be said for universal holidays though. I propose the month of August - August Bank Holiday can finally live up to its name. :)

mango5 likes this.
  20. littlebabyjesus

I am an atheist. In order to maintain my atheism and renew my commitment to it, I need to stay abreast of all the latest scientific developments.

Then take two days off around the New Scientist Live week.

21. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

Say you're a Jedi and take May the Fourth off.

A380 and AnnO'Neemus like this.
  22. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Hollis likes this.
  23. mod

mod A modernist

Say you are jewish and enjoy two days off at Yom Kippur and then say you've converted to Islam just before Ramadan and get the same benefits. In the current climate, no one from HR will dare question your devotion to either of your faiths. Afterwards tell them you've decided atheism is your path. Repeat next year.

A380, MickiQ, Hollis and 1 other person like this.
  24. Hollis

Hollis Bloody furious

I'm pretty sure it's foul of the Equalities Act

"The Equality Act 2010 says you must not be discriminated against because:

• you are (or are not) of a particular religion
    • you hold (or do not hold) a particular philosophical belief
    • someone thinks you are of a particular religion or hold a particular belief (this is known as discrimination by perception)
    • you are connected to someone who has a religion or belief (this is known as discrimination by association)
    In the Equality Act religion or belief can mean any religion, for example an organised religion like Christianity, Judaism, Islam or Buddhism, or a smaller religion like Rastafarianism or Paganism, as long as it has a clear structure and belief system.

The Equality Act also covers non-belief or a lack of religion or belief. For example:

• the Equality Act protects Christians if they are discriminated against because of their Christian beliefs, it also protects people of other religions and those with no religion if they are discriminated against because of their belief"
    Religion or belief discrimination | Equality and Human Rights Commission

danny la rouge and Fez909 like this.
  25. AnnO'Neemus

AnnO'Neemus Is so vanilla

I don't really know anything about paganism but clutching at straws can you say you need to take time off for the equinox or something?

26. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

It would be quite sensible to ditch a few bank holidays in favour of holidays for the solstices and equinoxes as they are by their nature spread throughout the year. And the to add the midway ones too.

More sensible than waiting months for a bank holiday then 2 come along at once.

27. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

My first thought, too, and confirmed by Hollis here:
    Demand your two days off to take whenever you like. If you don't have a religion, you don't have to take them on a religiously meaningful day. It's just +2 holidays for you. Bonus!

MickiQ and frogwoman like this.
  28. MrSki

MrSki Who am I to say you're wrong

Say you are an Wessleslyista. Have June 16th off for Waterloo & the 21st for Vitoria. Only need to take four days annual leave in the middle & you are almost off for a week. Normally best time for the weather.

Seriously if there are unions involved then every employee should have at least 28 days annual leave that might rise with service. Maybe certain employers will guarantee certain days off for people of certain religions which is fair enough but giving extra holidays sounds well dodgy.

A380 likes this.