Paddy McAloon: I Trawl The Megahertz

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by editor, May 21, 2009.

1. editor

editor hiraethified

I'm just listening to this for the first time (thanks Spotify!) and it's a really unusual album. I'm not really sure what to make of it, but it's certainly very dark and almost unbearably poignant at times.

Here's a BBC review:
    Some insightful reviews here too: http://www.amazon.co.uk/I-Trawl-Megahertz-Paddy-McAloon/dp/B00008Y2IZ

Anyone else heard the album?

2. ericjarvis

ericjarvis give a feck for the feckless

Not heard it, hadn't even heard of it. It's now top of the must get list. I always liked the most experimental/unorthodox Prefab Sprout stuff best, I'm fascinated by the idea of Paddy McAloon going much further out on a limb.

campanula likes this.
  3. editor

editor hiraethified

It's definitely the most experimental thing he's done. I'm still trying to work it out (on my second listen now) but this review from Amazon comes close to summing up my initial impressions.
    Some of the words are damn bleak too:

"In the subterranean world of anaesthetics, sad white canoes are forever sailing downstream in the early hours of the morning. Tell the stars I'm coming, make them leave a space for me..."

4. pk

pk drink flounce rinse repeat

I'm in.

The Sprout wrote some pretty fine tunes, especially under the guiding production hand of Thomas Dolby.

He always had a great turn of phrase, did Paddy.

campanula likes this.
  5. editor

editor hiraethified

He only sings one song on his solo album! But this is nothing like Prefab Sprout. I'm liking it a lot, even if it's putting my head in a weird place.

6. HobgoblinMan

HobgoblinMan Banned Banned

Kinda something I would expect to hear from Robert Wyatt. Quite lush indeed.

7. pk

pk drink flounce rinse repeat

I love the idea of it. Can't give it a listen right now, but I will look forward to doing so soon!

8. tufty79

tufty79 1979-2015. R.I.P.

just got the first track started playing - sounds like it's going to be very good indeed.
    lyrics remind me of national and eels....

and the music's like something else that i can't put my finger on.

9. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

Loved Prefab Sprout back in the day, will have to check this out.

10. Boris Sprinkler

Boris Sprinkler Jah bless

I've had this for 4 or 5 years, got it off soulseek on a recommendation. It is interesting. Has he done anything since?

11. editor

editor hiraethified

He was involved in a release of an extended version ofSteve McQueen a while back that came with acoustic demos, but that's it.

I've put the album on again now. I like the strange mood it puts me in.

12. tufty79

tufty79 1979-2015. R.I.P.

sparklehorse and lambchop. but different :hmm:

13. Boris Sprinkler

Boris Sprinkler Jah bless

I'm 45 divorced.

14. editor

editor hiraethified

Is it just me or has this now vanished off Spotify?

15. editor

editor hiraethified

There's an interesting interview with Paddy in this month's Uncut (or the other one) and he's really quite an odd fellow. Really friendly and outgoing, but completely incapable of finishing off any albums, so he just keeps on recording material that he'll never have time to release.

16. cybertect

cybertect It's grim up north (London)

then someone else will pick up the pieces, put them together and finally release it in fifteen years' time? :)

17. editor

editor hiraethified

I didn't know he'd written Kylie Minogue's "If You Don't Love Me" and 'The Gunman' for Cher.

If he could be arsed, he'd be a major songwriting star.

18. cybertect

cybertect It's grim up north (London)

I must admit this had passed me by :oops:

Just been auditioning it on lastFM

Me too and it's irritating the hell out of me.

Something about it reminds me of Mark Hollis' solo album, but that's just a mood/place, not it.

19. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

He looks like Robert Wyatt these days!

20. HobgoblinMan

HobgoblinMan Banned Banned

Indeed. He needs a Gillette.

21. editor

editor hiraethified

I had some work to do and put this on thinking it would help me concentrate a bit - but it's put my head in a weird space again!

It really is a remarkable album (and it is an album as it's pointless listening to individual tracks because you'll miss so much). It sounds like nothing else.

The lyrics are here. They're not your run of the mll rock'n'roll stuff!
    http://lyrics.wikia.com/Paddy_McAloon:I_Trawl_The_Megahertz

22. editor

editor hiraethified

I like the lyrics to this one:

And this is fantastic

23. editor

editor hiraethified

He's far more chipper than I imagined him to be in this fairly recent interview

Orang Utan likes this.
  24. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

I have a lot of respect for Paddy McAloon.
    The King Of Rock N Roll is a beautiful song - summat I like to sing to myself while drunk and alone (no one's hearing me singing!)

editor likes this.
  25. editor

editor hiraethified

Unexpected cover of an unreleased song by McAloon by Rod Stewart of all people. Easy to imagine Paddy singing it.