Paddick may sue the Met

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Caspar Hauser, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Jazzz

Jazzz the truth don't care Banned

Thanks Brian!

just to clarify, does this mean....

You are not presently pursuing any course of legal action, but of course keep all options open?

and as for point 3..... what drugs?! :)

2. Peter Matisse

Peter Matisse Queering the Mail

Another article about Brian on the front page of the Independent today (Friday 12th April). It is about the Metropolitan Police Authority (MPA) setting up an inquiry into a complaint that Brian has made, about a Commander who knowingly repeated false allegations made against him. Whilst reading this I remembered that when I first read about Brian in the Independent he had said that there was a witch hunt against him because he is gay. Something else struck me as well, I have read how Brian is well thought of and well respected by his officers because of his style of management, how difficult it must be for a gay officer who has a Commander who is homophobic. One of the reasons I think it is important to support Brian is the example he sets for new recruits to the police force, as well as the results he and his officers have acheived in Brixton. I have lived here for a long time and have seen so often the people of Brixton fobbed off with less than the best, in my opinion Brian Paddick is one of the best Commanders in the country, and, as I understand it, he still is our Commander, he has been removed from active duty whilst the investigations are taking place, but has not lost his job. Reading again about some of what he has had to content with during his career my admiration for him grows. I have wondered how the press picked up on the original story, now I wonder just how much initialy came from within the police force itself.

3. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

Thanks Brian. It's a shame point 3 wasn't made strongly before now, as your 'admission' has been rather widely reported.

The other clarifications make a lot of sense, and point 4 seems entirely unexceptional.

Best wishes

4. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

Just to add;
    Brian, there was a reasonable two-page spread about your policies in Lambeth on Thursday in The Standard, which I handed over to Mike in The Albert in a plain brown envelope tonight (I lie, it was actually an A4 white envelope). Hopefully it will get featured on the Paddick page.

5. Clapham Omnibus

Clapham Omnibus a bit laid back

detective-boy & Brian

Everyone here is presumbing the worst possible cenario!

Brian has a right to defend himself just as any other person. Also the MPS has a right to prove it takes complaints against police officers seriously.
    I think in this case there is an exception. However when does the exception become the rule?

Just in any democracy you cannot have people putting their will before the peoples. That is why we have elections. And contery to some beliefs they are not rigged in this country.

I have an idea who Colin- the- cop is also but I have no evedence to post and anyway I would use MPS diciplinery procedures rather than open a can of worms.
    The former would not do the MPS MPA or any other body I can think of, justice in they way the collective think.

I reitterate my previous postings on this subject especially so given Brian's ex-wifes comments last month in the printed press.

Good Luck Brian. Get back to what you and your customers want.

C.O.

Unfortunatly you will have to go through the proceedures and my poor spelling for a few months longer. Unless Mike can do something about the latter.:) :):p ;)

6. Jazzz

Jazzz the truth don't care Banned

just thinking, if it has been reported that Brian has admitted to storing drugs at his flat, when in fact he vehemently denies such a criminal offence, then that would seem to be libellious.

Sue them Brian!

7. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

Dr Jazzz,
    The flaw in that cunning plan is that libel is a rich mans game. If Brian doesn't have the wherewithall to consider a legal case against the Met, he's hardly likely to potentially ruin himself in the Libel Courts. These papers, eg The Mail on Sunday have huge resources and fancy-schmancy QCs and although I believe that he has right on his side, he is likely to be crushed like a butterfly on a wheel.

8. pooka

pooka Can't Re Member

There appeared briefly, in the last week, a press release on the Mets website saying that Professional Standards Committee (or some such) had started an enquiry into the complaints against BP by fellow officers. It has now disappeared and can't be retriieved through the Search facility. {edited to add} http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/crime/story.jsp?story=284086

covers it. The sound of stable doors perhaps...

9. Streathamite

Streathamite ideological dogmatist

I can't help feeling that if some anonymous "low-flier" PC had had the same allegations (ESPECIALLY with the same time-lapse factor, and financial gain accrued therefrom, by the maker of the allegations) it would be seen as slap-wrist time, at the most a stiff official reprimand. I may be wide of the mark here, but this whole issue reeks of homophobic witch-hunt.
    I would also be interested, Brian, in knowing how much support the Police Fed have given you?

10. Eddie E

Eddie E New Member R.I.P.

Senior responsibility

Astonishingly enough, whilst remaining supportive of Brian, I should point out that as an officer gets more senior rank, greater responsibilities and greater remuneration - it is expected to result in ever higher consistant standards of behaviour (generally, not related to sexuality) and it is equally expected that any allegations will be the more rigorously explored.
    Don't overreact, at least not yet. This may well be a matter of a slapped wrist and advice. And the sooner it is sorted the better, for Brian and Brixton.
    Regards Eddie E

11. detective-boy

detective-boy Banned Banned

Senior responsibility

I'll second that - patience is necessary unfortunately as these things tend to take weeks and months not hours and days.

12. pooka

pooka Can't Re Member

I think there have been reports in the press of four months? Which would point to the autumn perhaps, given the way these things go....

Which should perhaps inform strategy for the "campaign"?

13. If you're in Brixton I'd wear this one.
    NOMINA STULTORUM PARIETIBUS HOERENT

It makes me laugh everytime I walk past a wall.

14. hatboy

hatboy Banned Banned

Yeah right, very accessible, thanks. What does it mean then?

15. Loki

Loki RIP R.I.P.

It means "The names of fools are seen upon the walls." :confused:

Hatboy good luck, if I lived in that ward you'd get my vote.

(edit to add, I meant to respond to the Greens thread, durr!)

16. It's meant as a dig at all the idiots who think it's clever to spray their 'tags' all over the walls.

But somehow I reckon they might not understand it.

Bill stickers and grafitti artists. I hate them both, and Brixton seems to have more than its fair share.

17. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

When were you last in Brixton then?

What provides you with the expertise to sneer this?

Would you care to share with us the reason for your amazing arrogance?

Same attitude to the truth as your paper has, I see.

Then you wonder, or pretend to wonder, why I call you, and almost everybody else here thinks you, a fucking twat.

18. hatboy

hatboy Banned Banned

I am very interested in design and the built environment and agree tagging looks a talentless mess. But big, colourful graffiti looks great and is an acknowledged art form. Also on the corrugated metal that surrounds many derelect plots in London I'd much rather see bright pop fly-posters than the grey metal. The objection to the latter always seems to me to be based not on how the fly-posters really look but on indignation that the advertisers haven't paid for their few feet of wall and that their activities are somehow not legitimate. Fuck legitimacy, let's see some art.

DMR and William - can you please stop taking over threads with your bickering. Aitch has provided you with a thread especially for this. Get in there boys (or boy and girl)! Seriously tho Will, don't rise to the bait so, you keep fuelling the fire. And haven't you said (very eloquently) all you want to say about the Mail and it's readers now? :)

19. Probably more recently than you.

Because whenever I've seen someone taging they've been spotty 12 year old sniffing deoderant and wearing back to front baseball hats.

And I have to agree with Hatboy. I'm talking about the twats that spray things like 'TURBO' or some other shite.

Now that thing above the old barbers in Coldharbour just before the Somerlayton turn off, I think it's fantastic. A bit dated but still fantastic.

20. hatboy

hatboy Banned Banned

Strictly speaking that is a mural not graffiti art. (Abit pedantic, sorry). It's called "Nuclear Dawn" and it certainly is extremely redolent of the mores of it's time, the early eighties.

Now have you two stopped fighting? Good, because if things carry on like this I'll have to get the headmaster. ;)

21. William of Walworth

Enough is enough agreed.

Please do so hatboy. Sooner the better :mad:

22. pooka

pooka Can't Re Member

Not sure the distinction between tagging and graffiti is so clear in the minds of the perpetrators though:(

23. William of Walworth

I agree pooka. I have problems all over with this issue, and I think us nice leftie greeny alternativey types are in danger of being over indulgent towards what is basically vandalism a lot of the time. Don't worry I bought me Guardian this morning a usual not .... any other "news"paper ... ;)

I do recognise to some extent some of the social issues, youth alienation, youth culture etc etc that lies behind this phenomenon ...

But bottom line, an awful lot of the time it makes buses, council estates, walls, etc luck as ugly as fuck.

24. LDR

LDR kiwitanga

I don't mind tagging myself as I think of it as urban art - I can see why other people may disagree all the same.

I rather see some scribble by a young kid in my neighbour than a billboard advertising some kind fast food, etc.

Sorry this is off topic. I'll go now. ;)

25. pooka

pooka Can't Re Member

Erm - well, I think once it takes hold, it becomes a bit indiscriminate Scott and so its not just billboards, but the places where people live, their belongings and so on. It's also become synonymous "run-down, shitty area that no-one who has a choice would want to live in". The taggers and graffittists are degrading their own and their neighbours environments. It's rarely original, which seems to me to be a pre-requisite of art.

I must admit my attitude has become more focussed through personal experience. I used to run a white van (indeed, a white van person!) and about once a year, would have to get the T-Cut out to try and get of some inane scribble. It was a pain in the butt and left the paintwork a bit on the thinning side. Interestingly, cars in the street rarely got done - just my van and the doors, walls of the Doctors surgery. Became more than a pain in the butt when the buggers took to using glass cutters to etch their tags on windscreens, which pretty much everyone in the street got a taste off and which often means replacing the windscreen.

So, I've gone from nice liberal " wow, what vibrant urban art" to "bugger, what mindless vandalism - find these kids something better to do!".

26. William of Walworth

Knows the score ...

Spot on pooka!

27. LDR

LDR kiwitanga

pooka - Good point well made. I can't argue with that.

It just doesn't bother me as much as maybe it should.

28. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

Nor me, though it's too dated and unimaginative to be interesting. What's the matter with them, surely it's possible to do something with a spray can that isn't a copy of 1975 New York?