Oyster Cards are 15 years old today

Discussion in 'transport' started by editor, Jun 30, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Blimey. Was it really that long ago?!

Today marks 15 years of Oysters on the London Underground

A380 likes this.
  2. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

Great invention , still have one but prefer contactless now .

MadeInBedlam and Badgers like this.
  3. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

pianistenvy and Badgers like this.
  4. marty21

5. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Patterdale Terrorist

Certainly did a lot to get the masses used to touchscreens and contactless payments

Badgers likes this.
  6. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

I used an oyster card for the first time last month. I put some money on it, then tried to get through the barrier at the tube station but couldn't because apparently you have to tap your card on the top-up machine twice, both before and after making a card payment. This just confirmed my theory that the entire oyster card system is just a giant laboratory maze-type experiment to see how much arbitrary bullshit people will tolerate if they see other people doing it in large enough numbers.

MickiQ, pianistenvy and marty21 like this.
  7. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

If I'm putting my hard earned in a machine I tend to read the instructions.

Spymaster and MadeInBedlam like this.
  8. SpookyFrank

If I'm putting my hard earned in a machine I have a right to expect it not to make me do pointless shit just because it can.

S☼I likes this.
  9. 2hats

2hats

It’s not pointless though.

10. SpookyFrank

It is pointless. I can see why you'd have to tap the card once, or the machine won't know which card is yours, but a second time? If it's to confirm the payment, well why the tapdancing fuck would I be at the machine putting in my card and PIN if I didn't want to make a payment?

You just think it's not pointless because you've always done it without thinking, and now you're reacting aggressively to the revelation that you've been taken for a mug all this time.

11. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

As I understand it (I may be wrong on details)

It's an RFID chip. It actually stores information about how much credit is on it and where you got on the tube so that the reader doesn't have to access the database of millions of users everytime you tap in and out. So it is necessary and you're just making an assumption about how it works.

Maggot and MadeInBedlam like this.
  12. SpookyFrank

That being the case they should make you tap the card after the payment but not before.

13. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

The captains (not guards, this is their job title) on the DLR use little wireless machines to see if you've tapped in or not. They're actually reading the card not just identifying the card and referring to a database to see if you've paid or not. The latter wouldn't work in tunnels and probably not very well when not in tunnels.

14. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Then how would it tell you your balance and let you know if you need to top up or not?

15. SpookyFrank

It's always sad to see people siding with their oppressors like this.

moochedit likes this.
  16. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

If I type TFL in my mobile the auto complete automatically suggests shitcunts as the next word. I just know how an oyster card works.

17. 2hats

2hats

Oh dear. Do try calming down. Not jumping to conclusions or assumptions would probably help.

It’s not pointless because the system needs to update the information stored on the card relevant to the transaction just performed.

18. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Considering how dangerous the underground is I’d wish they do an ‘are they a complete muppet or not’ test before letting people into the network.
    You’d fail.

First tap reads
    Second tap writes (after you’ve made your decisions and provided valid payment).

They don’t work by magic long distance airwaves... yet.

A380 likes this.
  19. Gromit

I’ve ditched my physical one.
    On the occasions I have to pay then I use ApplePay. If my phone is dead my bank card.

20. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Best thing to happen on the tube in years. As anyone who has had a paper travelcard get refused at the gate because it was slightly creased can attest to. Not to mention the wasted time having to buy a paper ticket in advance.

I still find it amazing why its taken other cities like New York this long to catch up (their version will only start later this year). The London Underground seems light years ahead by comparison.

Closer to home, I had to get a local bus recently that fell outside of the London transport network in Uxbridge. Imagine my horror to discover that not only did they not accept Oyster, but they didn't even accept contactless. Cash only. And bloody expensive like £5.50 to travel 6 stops and back. Seemed like going back in time.

21. SpookyFrank

You see, there we have it. The system needs. When did we start subordinating the needs of the public to the needs of the system? I need to get on a tube, not fuck about playing bop-it with a fucking vending machine.

Pickman's model likes this.
  22. Gromit

When you need a system that works that’s when.

We could always have a magic face recognition system that opens the gate automatically and docks your bank account direct.

It would treble fares and have paranoid people moaning about invasion of privacy and some such nonsense but hey if it stops you having to perform one less step when topping up it be worth it.

23. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

I am very happy with my card travelcard which doesn't record my last x number of journeys

24. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

:D

25. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Get the app. You don't have to tap anything then. Takes half an hour to update it though.

26. marty21

I don't mind that tbf, interesting on occasions when you fall asleep on the tube and end up going home via tower bridge :oops: you can see you journey of shame (also available on Google maps :D)

kittyP and Pickman's model like this.
  27. SpookyFrank

Quicker just to phone up GCHQ every so often and give them a quick run-down of my movements.

28. SpookyFrank

I dimly remember a time when you could pay for stuff with money.

29. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Thankfully that was done away with. All that wasted time, especially on buses while people exchanged coins with the driver and expected change too. Nah.

30. SpookyFrank

Some times if you weren't careful you'd make eye contact with the bus driver too. Stuff of nightmares.

Hang about, you Londoners do say thank you to the driver when you get off the bus right?