Oxford City v Hamlet - Saturday 23 March 2019, k.o. 3pm

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Pink Panther, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

One of our oldest regular league fixtures dating back to when we joined the Isthmian League in 1907, Oxford having been founder members two seasons earlier. We've seldom played them during the past few decades since promotion and relegation were introduced into the Isthmian League in the 1970s, followed by the restructuring of the non-league pyramid following our last visit in 2002.

They play at a modern ground on the outskirts of town near the A40 at Marston. For those travelling by public transport it's a bus or taxi ride from the station/city centre, nearest bus routes pass the southern end of Marsh Lane. Access to the ground is via a long slip road half way along Marsh Lane on the right hand side. Map showing ground location here: Location Map.

There are three trains an hour on the GWR line from Paddington via Reading, as well as a new Chiltern Trains route from Marylebone running half hourly. Journey times are approximately 1 hour and you want the city centre station, not Oxford Parkway.

Hamlet haven't won away since 13 October (Hungerford) while Oxford have lost their la\st 6 home games, so one of those sequences must end tomorrow!

StephenMac likes this.
  2. scousedom

scousedom Well-Known Member

0-0 it is then.

3. Scolly

Scolly Well-Known Member

There are still places on the Trust coach tomorrow. £15 adults / £10 concessions and leaving CH at 11:15.

Email info@dhst.org.uk to reserve your place

4. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

Not too many mind... I want my own seat!:)

5. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

The sun is starting to poke through the clouds, but still a bit chilly and windy here at H cafe near Oxford
    IMG_20190323_120300365-01.jpeg

editor and Pink Panther like this.
  6. Pink Panther

Green out injured, Vose suspended. Wanadio starts with Okuonghae and Hunte filling the gaps on the bench.

7. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

8. sleaterkinney

9. Pink Panther

0-3, yet another penalty conceded.

10. sleaterkinney

Sorry no, it's 3-0

11. bkbk

bkbk Well-Known Member

Be nice if we made Oxford work hard for any goals

12. Pink Panther

Should have had a penalty for a blatant shove on Clunis, whose arm hit the ball as he fell, and the referee gave a free kick against us instead.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  13. Pink Panther

We've just conceded another penalty.

14. sleaterkinney

15. editor

editor hiraethified

Gordon Bennett. Worra stuffing :(

What is happening?

16. Pink Panther

We've probably had more of the play but our defence was opened up all too easily for the first two goals, Tajbakhsh upended a forward with a clumsy challenge for the first penalty, then the second was given for handball on the linesman's say so.

Nivag and editor like this.
  17. editor

editor hiraethified

1 freaking 4. And Hungerford beat Billericay, and Gloucester won too so we're just 4 points from the drop zone.

18. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

That was not a good day in the office. As Pink Panther said, Dulwich had much of the play but just couldn't do anything with it.
    Tajbakhsh was substituted in the first half but didn't really make much of a difference.
    The 2nd half I think there were roughly 3(?) shots near goal and I think Dipo's goal was one of a couple on target.
    The only thing I can take from this game was I met up with a mate I've not seen for 20 years!!

Cat Daisy and Pink Panther like this.
  19. the 12th man

the 12th man Well-Known Member

That is one of the most inept performances of recent times!
    A defence that sat and admired the Oxford movement
    Attacking wise we pushed (sort of) and put everything to a keeper who commanded the box
    Played like a team that has spent little time together. Not good enough if we want to play and compete at this level.

Moroccan Sunset, bkbk and Jamie Wyatt like this.
  20. crocustim

crocustim Well-Known Member

Thankfully it looks like the proverbial wheels might be falling off at Truro as they got another red in their 0-3 defeat.

Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  21. Dulwich Mishi

This was a genuinely appalling Hamlet performance, one where you’re sitting round a table in the bar reminiscing about bloody awful Dulwich games in ten years time & anyone who was here will pipe up: “Remember that game at Oxford...” For the first time this season I genuinely think we are staring relegation right in the face...

22. Poids

Poids Well-Known Member

What really worries me is that right now we look totally unprepared mentally for a relegation battle. Time and again we seem completely incapable of building any momentum. A win is inevitably followed by a thumping defeat, the heads go down and you feel like you're right back to square one again.

Yesterday, as so many times this season, the game completely passed us by and there's a really worrying sense of helplessness about the team, like no-one really knows anymore what they need to do to to stop the same mistakes happening over and over again.

On paper there are a couple of winnable games in the remaining fixtures, but how many times this season have we played teams in a similar position to our own and simply not shown up?

G Man, Cat Daisy, jnrknight and 5 others like this.
  23. Pink Panther

Sums it up perfectly. That isn't one of the poorest three squads of footballers in the division, but we just look so brittle whenever we concede a goal. It's not so much the goals we concede as the way we seem to react to them. That's the third consecutive away game we've gone behind inside the first 20 minutes, and in two of those we've been 4-0 down by half time! We've now conceded five penalties in our last five games home and away.

Oxford were no more than a moderately competent mid-table side. If anything we played the better football in between the two penalty boxes, but it's what happens in the most vital areas of the field that is the problem; vulnerable in defence and impotent in attack. I thought Oxford's 3G pitch was poor, it looked slow and heavy with too much of the rubber crumb on the surface. It must have been challenging for players to adjust, but Oxford's last six visitors all managed it because they all won on it!

Okuonghae was on the bench yesterday after a month out injured. If he's fit enough to play he must start for me. His experience seems to galvanise the rest of the defence even if he's not a superior individual footballer. We seemed to be real making progress a month ago in terms of keeping it tight at the back and making sure we didn't lose games we couldn't win when we recorded the goalless draws at East Thurrock and Concord. We were playing with a flat back four then, yet we then went back to the drawing board and started playing a rather cavalier three at the back system which was effectively 3-4-3 yesterday. I'm not sure that's a great idea away from home.

Why have we become so hopeless (and that's really not too strong an adjective) away from home? Up to early November our playing record was P16 W6 D4 L6 Pts 22, a respectable start to our first ever season in this league. The home/away split was identical: P8 W3 D2 L3 Pts 11 for each. Since then the overall record is P20 W4 D4 L12 Pts 16; but whereas the home record is similar to the early season period (P10 W4 D1 L5 Pts 13) away it's a dismal P10 W0 D3 L7 Pts 3.

If we'd got what our bungling incompetence deserved in last week's second half shambles against Truro we'd now be just 2 points above the bottom three. Before yesterday I was hoping we could go to Weston on the final day of the season with our place secure for next season. On yesterday's evidence I wouldn't fancy our chances if that is not the case. We desperately need to keep the good recent home form going starting with next week's visit of Billericay, who've lost four on the spin. Apparently they were leading Hungerford 1-0 until the 87th minute yesterday when, according to a neutral on one of my Facebook groups, the visitors were awarded a ridiculous penalty that turned the game on its head with Hungerford equalising then bagging a winner in stoppage time. That result certainly did us no favours with Hungerford reducing our cushion over the bottom three to four points, and of course they visit us in three weeks time. Six points from those two home games ought to do the trick and make us more or less safe with three games left (at Wealdstone, at home to Woking, then at Weston), and we have to believe we can do it (or at least those in the dressing room and on the pitch do) otherwise it certainly won't happen.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    G Man, Cat Daisy, jnrknight and 6 others like this.
  24. editor

editor hiraethified

25. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Highlight of the 2nd half calling for the game to be abandoned when their goalie broke the net :D

Cat Daisy, Jimbob73, editor and 2 others like this.
  26. Cat Daisy

Cat Daisy Active Member

And therefore please let this not come down to having to get a result at Weston Super Mare on the final day!

27. Pink Panther

I suspect Weston will already be down by then, but I still wouldn't bet against us screwing up against a poor team with nothing to play for. There's a potentially massive game at Hungerford on the final day where East Thurrock United are the visitors.

The big worry for me is that we look like two different sides home and away, and it's hard to see us getting anything from any away game right now.

Trying to be positive, all the current form tables on Football Web Pages show almost all the other relegation candidates below us over 4, 6, 8 and 10 matches. Eastbourne haven't won since early January and Truro seem to be in freefall. Logically both those teams and possibly Hampton are more vulnerable than us to being overhauled by one of the bottom three.

28. Dulwich Mishi

But you know me.. natural born pessimist!

29. Pink Panther

I've just watched the tv highlights of this match. Not enjoyable, but the outcome might have been rather different had we been awarded a penalty at 0-0. I couldn't see it myself at the time as I was on the opposite side of the goal, but Michael Chambers' marker almost had the shirt off his back as he attempted to jump for a corner and you can see the referee just standing there looking straight at the incident and ignoring it. The last time we lost a game in which we scored first was at Dartford in October, only a week after our last away win. Scoring first seems to make a big difference to this Hamlet team, and I can't help wondering how different the result might have been had we been given the opportunity to convert a penalty at that point. There was a second equally obvious foul in the box on Clunis after we were 3-0 down when the referee incredibly adjudged that our man had committed an offence instead.