Oxford City v Dulwich Hamlet (National South, Saturday 30 November, 3pm)

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Pink Panther, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Hopefully the Hamlet can build on Tuesday's Trophy replay win with a first league win since August, against the team we would have faced in the next round had they not lost their own replay at Hornchurch on the same night.

For those not travelling on the supporters' coach there are train services from both Paddington and Marylebone, journey times around 1 hour, but the ground is a good 3-4 miles from Oxford station so unless you're a very enthusiastic walker it's a bus or cab ride from the city centre.

Bus route 13 runs every 12 minutes during Saturday shopping hours, leaving St Aldates (Stop G3), the closest stop to the ground is at Cherwell Drive. The ground is at the top of Marsh Lane on the right hand side next to the A40. Map Linked:

https://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=4...ton,+Oxford,+OX3&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

editor and Dulwich Mishi like this.
  2. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

I heard on Tuesday that there wasn’t enough bookings to run a coach & it has been cancelled.

3. Bugpowder Dust

Bugpowder Dust Well-Known Member

Decent old pub near the ground

The Red Lion
    42 Oxford Rd, Oxford OX3 0PH
    01865 247761
    Google Maps

Pink Panther likes this.
  4. Pink Panther

Not sure of the price now (I didn't wish to undermine the supporters coach by publicising it earlier) but there were some very cheap advance train fares available. I got £3.55 each way with PlusBus for £2.80 (with Network Railcard discount) a couple of weeks ago. An off peak day return with railcard discount is about £18.

Dulwich Mishi likes this.
  5. Northants Dal

Northants Dal Active Member

Group of Northampton supporters going today to support us. Sadly I'm working but say hello to Martin and his mates. Will be his second Dulwich game after the play off final at T&M.

sankara, editor and pettyboy like this.
  6. editor

editor hiraethified

7. editor

editor hiraethified

We really need to win this:

2019-11-30_154027.jpg
    (As of 15:40 today)

8. Pink Panther

We've had more of the play but Oxford look a bit sharper in the box. They took the lead from a penalty after a trip by Orlu, Vose equalised with a well placed twenty yarder inside the far post.

editor likes this.
  9. NPDHFC

NPDHFC NAC-ITM

Found him!

Attached Files:

Northants Dal likes this.
  10. Pink Panther

2-1 down. Another penalty!

11. editor

editor hiraethified

FFS

[​IMG]

12. Laurie hill

Laurie hill New Member

Orlu having worse than a shocker

13. Laurie hill

Laurie hill New Member

What was that second half performance

Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  14. Lucy Fur

Lucy Fur Well-Known Member

Fucking hell, sitting here on me tod, listening to the match on the radio week in, week out, without any of the camaraderie of being with you lot at the game, is starting to feel quite depressing. Fucks sake, come on Dulwich!

StephenMac likes this.
  15. tonysingh

tonysingh Random Clever and Witty Strapline

We're not doing so well are we?

16. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

We just need to sign some more players, I think.

17. editor

editor hiraethified

And rotate the squad more often. Give everyone a go, like.

EDC and Moroccan Sunset like this.
  18. Moroccan Sunset

Maybe we could completely bomb some people out, as well? Part of our considerable budget should be used to sign players that we initially like, then get sick of and banish from the team for forever more.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    pompeydunc and EDC like this.
  19. Duckula 3:16

Duckula 3:16 New Member

load of rubbish

Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  20. TonyWalt

TonyWalt Active Member

First half we gave a good account of ourselves. I think we had several good chances to score more than one goal. Vose was strong and purposeful and took his goal very well.
    Clunis and Ainsworth both looking exciting along with Mills. Yet again though, our second half performance let us down, and as the game went on, that elusive equaliser felt like it would never materialise. Until the highlights are up on YouTube, I couldn’t tell who was at fault for both pens, but we are not doing anything terribly wrong I don’t think and we are competing well, dropping points and losing games by just a single goal. No team is hammering us (though we were well beaten by Bath City). The players must be feeling frustrated and their confidence low. It would be good to occasionally have the rub of the green.
    Some very tedious and childish banter aimed at the Oxford Keeper, and some travelling key janglers adding to the wonderful experience!

Pink Panther likes this.
  21. Pink Panther

It wasn't a terrible performance, but it was also very ordinary against fairly ordinary opponents. Let's just say they'd missed their first penalty and the referee had bottled it from giving them another one. We'd have come away with a 1-0 win without actually doing anything differently.

Pretty mush everything about our season looks very ordinary right now. 16 of our 18 league matches have been either drawn or decided by the odd goal. The only exceptions were the 3-0 win at Eastbourne and the 1-3 defeat at home to Bath, which was still in the balance until their third goal in stoppage time. The margins can be very fine between success and failure in this division, and there's little to choose between most of the sides in terms of quality and tactical efficiency. An extra goal scored in three games, three fewer errors to prevent one going in at the wrong end and we could be 9 or 10 points better off, which would leave us on the fringes of the top 7. But we're not, and the longer the season goes on the more it becomes a serious problem that can't just be shrugged off as "not getting the rub of the green" or whatever.

We have a home league match against Dartford next weekend. It was against Steve King's Welling side that we broke a long sequence of poor results and performances last February, following attempts to reconfigure the squad at the turn of the year, so hopefully we can repeat that. Then there's the Trophy game at Hornchurch the following Saturday. Regardless of what happens there we'll then have a sequence of half a dozen consecutive league games in under a month before a potential further Trophy tie on 11 January. Last season there were all sorts of problems off the field relating to being exiled from our own ground with the financial obstacles that came with it. This time everything seems to have been set up to give the management and players a really good platform on which to build with big crowds, an increased playing budget and full time training with good facilities, yet we're actually performing worse than at the same time a year ago. As a supporter I've no idea at all what the problem might be or how best to address it.

Bugpowder Dust, editor and TonyWalt like this.
  22. editor

editor hiraethified

23. Laurie hill

Laurie hill New Member

After a decent performance at Chippenham and the same team, I was hopeful of a positive result and we started ok with a few decent chances. Then the orlu horror show kicked in - having given a dangerous free kick away minutes earlier, a soft penalty was conceded. I’ve been a fan of orlu this season and he’s probably the best defender but that’s 3 goals conceded in 2 goals from ill discipline -having also given away a soft free kick in the corner at Chippenham. Funnily enough he played ok after having conceded the pen for the second goal but it was no surprise to see him hauled off later on!

We still should have got something from the game and did well to come back into it in the first half and being on top at the break. Vose had a particularly good half and if only he had better legs and could tackle then he would surely be a league player!

But the second half was shocking - particularly the last 20 minutes - any slight quality completely disappeared. The players aren’t sharp and always look surprised when a ball goes loose especially in the box. Shooting is always weak and we almost always try to over work it.

Last season they threw the game away against Weston and went on an absolutely stinking run. We did exactly the same this season against Slough and it’s not stopped since.

They need a win and fast - normally when we get one we go on a run - but that really felt like a defining performance second half. Luckily there are some poor teams at the bottom but we can’t rely on hungerford being terrible forever.

Nivag likes this.
  24. Son of Roy

Son of Roy Really?

I've been scratching my head too. It seems there is more than one issue. Perhaps one of these is that we tend to concede the first goal in games because we are not patient enough. We all like to play/watch attacking football but we get caught on the break. Perhaps we are trying to score 3 goals every game when our opponents are looking to win by a single goal?

25. RabbleLevi

RabbleLevi Well-Known Member

Much happier with four at the back, we are creating chances and keeping games tight.

Goals are the obvious problem, but I just don’t see any prolific scorers in the team. Last season we had Dipo and then the goals were shared around. This season, the team just lacks goal scorers.

We need a prolific striker. Mills has scored a couple but also missed a fair few. Smith is probably our second top scorer, he’s a defender. We know Clunis can score goals but he looks off the pace this season. Some of our new signings unfortunately carry very little attacking threat. Monokana, Vose, Ijaha, White and Yussuf often don’t take the initiative. Yussuf normally has to be served on a plate. Glad Vose scores but there are to many players not taking responsibility for goals, they have to be shared around, especially if we persist with Mills upfront, who is getting very little support from team mates.

26. pettyboy

pettyboy Well-Known Member

Bizarre, truly bizarre comment.

Mills has scored 13 goals this season. That's 3 less than our top goalscorer from last season and it's only December. He is far from being the problem and is one of the players who always gives 110%.

takkforalt, baleboy_93, Poids and 2 others like this.
  27. RabbleLevi

6 League Goals in 18 League games. If you include all of his braces in friendly’s and cup games then I guess he is prolific. Just not in the league...

EDC and editor like this.
  28. pettyboy

pettyboy Well-Known Member

Of course I'm not including friendlies. Don't be so facetious.

29. Moroccan Sunset

U ok hun?

30. RabbleLevi

Why not. We played some stronger opposition in pre-season than we have done in the cups?

I like Mills, just think he has to much responsibility and no one else is helping him. No one is running of him...