1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oxfam sex allegations

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by nardy, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Sasaferrato

Sasaferrato T'agba ta ti de, a ma yo ogunja.

We have cancelled our DDI to Oxfam, pro tem, and doubled up on Save the Children. I suspect we won't be alone in this.

Oxfam have sailed very close to the wind at times, re political campaigning, which is not permitted by charities. That didn't bother me in the slightest, this does.

It isn't the fact that their employees behaved abominably that troubles me, it is their attempt to conceal it. Allowing people to resign, then watching as they went into similar employment is the pits. Did they provide references for these people?

The sad thing is that there is no shortage of places to make your contributions to. If Oxfam survives this I will be quite surprised. A tragedy really, they were always the 'gold standard', turns out it was pinchbeck.

2. bemused

bemused Well-Known Member

I get she took the bullet, but was that because some failure on her part or did someone have to go and she put her hand up for it?

bimble likes this.
  3. Sasaferrato

Fuck you too. :D Be polite! :D

Magnus McGinty likes this.
  4. Sasaferrato

Poor. Really poor. You are traducing someone's reputation with no evidence. Really poor.

Slo-mo likes this.
  5. freethinker

freethinker Mindful

Fair point...who knows? I recall her saying that it happened on her watch....maybe she was the one that sacked the whistleblowers...?

6. HoratioCuthbert

HoratioCuthbert The left is a threat to organic WC solidarity

*whispers* he's a rectum

Yossarian and Pickman's model like this.
  7. No, he really is one, it’s s a fact, this information is freely available.

8. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

1 - how do you stop someone from resigning?

2 - No, they didn’t by all accounts

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  9. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

This is a bizarre story that feeds into our 'Era of Outrage' sensibility and happily supports the anger at the aid budget. This is an old story and I saw the Ch4 piece with the Charity Commission bloke defending themselves about how they had robust meetings with them back in 2015 with some changes in protection.

Was talking to a civil servant at the w/e. Context is everything, 'Disaster Sex' is well known about although clearly this is wrong and Oxfam sacked the perpetrators. In regions affected by catastophe surely there will be people trying anything to make money off rich aid workers.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  10. HoratioCuthbert

HoratioCuthbert The left is a threat to organic WC solidarity

That's how it read before I scrolled back :)

11. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Oh come on. He’s a fucking multi millionaire politician who is being talked about by various twats as a future PM. If he isn’t up to his neck in it I won’t just eat my shoes but yours as well.

12. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Oxfam faces fresh claim of abuse in South Sudan

13. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

Anyone who has worked in the aid sector is deeply unsurprised

14. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

the Balkans were crawling with NGO staff who were 'in relationships' with locals or local staff (which was often a polite way of spelling prostitution) throughout the 1990-2000's, sometimes the locals would move around with the internationals in country, and sometimes not. if not, the international would soon (and i mean days) find comfort in the bed of a new local.

undoubtedly there were entirely consensual, 'proper' relationships formed, but the number of flabby, balding middle aged men who tapped off with women in their early twenties who made Helena Christianson look positively average would, you'd think, arouse the suspicions of senior NGO staff - but didn't.

october_lost and JimW like this.
  15. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

There were a couple of whistleblowers hounded out of the region and an official investigation precipitously shut down too, iirc.

The refugee crisis is crawling with horrific stories- rape, trafficking, gender based violence, people who turn up in calais or post on the Facebook solidarity groups looking for the women and children, kids who simply disappeared, 'volunteers' and smugglers preying on people- vulnerable or desperate people attract predators.

The most shocking thing for me, tbh, is that oxfam seemed to focus on keeping it quiet, not on stamping it out. That is what they deserve to be pilloried for, imo, not for a bad one slipping through the checks and balances per se (though it looks like he had been fired from somewhere else previously for the same thing so their checks really do seem to have been borked). If you discover someone is misusing access to people that your name has given them, and your priority is keeping it quiet, that suggests there is something deeply rotten somewhere.

16. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

Charities are full of posh types at an organisational level aren't they? People with degrees that don't have any practical application, that sort. Able to live in London because parents pay the bills. Bullshit jobs like campaign managers on social media blah blah blah. 'Raising awareness'. Look at the salaries offered.

That such entitled types go on to abuse, or cover up for it, isn't exactly a surprise, it's a culture.

17. TruXta

TruXta tired

Able to take unpaid internships for years, have the right schools and networks on their CV. That's very much the case.

But going back to the story - when you read about the shit that flies at the UN, is anyone surprised that charities are at it as well?

18. Nigel Irritable

Nigel Irritable Five, Ten, Fifteen Years

Some fairly hair raising takes on Twitter from the “sex work is just work like any other” brigade over this.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Manter and The39thStep like this.
  19. tim

tim Well-Known Member

He pretends to be posher than he really is. He did go to Eton, and he but they'll take anyone these days. His father was a journalist who went to Charterhouse, a very bourgeois school. His grandmother was an America and he isn't C of E. He really is just a vulgar poseur.

Will that do as an evidence based traducing?

Celyn and Opera Buffa like this.
  20. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

That type can be nastier than real poshos.

21. Beats & Pieces

Beats & Pieces 24601 / 9430

There may well be quite a few of such 'types' here.

22. tim

tim Well-Known Member

People of all social classes and ethnic backgrounds abuse and cover up for the abuses of others. It's lazy and dangerous to think it's only those who are different from you who do such things.

And anyway charity/NGO workers I've met, even in London, don't by and large come from the background you outline

23. xenon

xenon Carne Por la Machina

The cover-up, the shunting these people around. That is what is disgusting. Apart from the abuse of the vulnerable people I mean obviously. Never mind what the right-wing media do .

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    muscovyduck, Sasaferrato and Celyn like this.
  24. xenon

Oh but they do such wonderful work. Fuck you.

25. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

Quite. Cannot blame it all on this particular "entitled type". Among the thousands of not-posh types who help with local football clubs, youth clubs, there are, of course, some bad ones. Oh, and let's not forget religious groups, where the social and family pressure not to speak ill of the leader person is likely to be quite strong. Even working in a chip shop, for goodness' sake, would likely provide an opportunity to notice lonely or insufficiently cared-for children/young teenagers and to make "friends" with them.

kebabking and tim like this.
  26. xenon

And why did you leave your last job as a prominent member in a similar organisation?
    Oh I just resigned because I wanted new challenges.
    Well that all seems fine. We’ll have a reference.

muscovyduck and Celyn like this.
  27. xenon

I’m saying of course they gave a reference. Bland one. of course they gave references though.

Celyn likes this.
  28. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

I think there is a lot of carefulness because former employer does not want to give a bad reference to former employee in case former employee might sue for defamation or something. So they might end up saying "decent chap, always turned up at work on time" or something.

BUT this is also a moral and, I should have thought, a legal issue. If you know the person is "resigning" because of very bad things, it is really quite bad to facilitate bad-person's further progress by not telling anyone. Something really amazing like telling the police or something. This attitude of "as long as he is no longer associated with us, everything is fine" is horrendously unethical.

muscovyduck, bimble and cupid_stunt like this.
  29. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

Indeed. Very much a sin of omission, to borrow a term from some of those religious types who have, in their own team, some rather bad people.

30. xenon

Absolutely. This isn’t he left because his sickness record was a bit inconvenient. Something a bit more important.

Celyn likes this.