OutCider Festival, Somerset, 4th-6th August 2017

Discussion in 'festivals' started by William of Walworth, Jan 30, 2017.

1. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

We like (proper) cider, plenty of, and we like small, independent festivals, and we like cracking live bands, so we and van will be going to OutCider for the first time this year.

Looking at their Facebook page at all the lineup announcements, we can't bloody wait either :cool:

[​IMG]

Anyone else Urban who's been before, or who might be going this time?

High Voltage likes this.
  2. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen person of tinge

3. High Voltage

High Voltage In the top 97% of Urban's most interesting posters

Hmmm! why that's barely 12 miles from our front door and I like cider - Mrs Voltz doesn't like cider, but she likes perry and it's my birthday month as well . . . who knows

William of Walworth likes this.
  4. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

I've been to two of these, missed last year though. I can honestly say its a great couple of days as long as you understand what it is. Its a very small festival with one bar and two food concessions. There are two stages (both in barns) which alternate so they are never on at the same time.

Given its size its surprisingly well organised and the bands are well chosen and everything is littered with West Country humour.

It is very cider / perry heavy though so be warned. But my advice is give it a crack, its doesn't cost much and it is about as weatherproof as possible. The festival area is on hard standing, the two stages are in barns and the campsite is massive and has very long grass. It hosed it down a fair bit in 2015 but we barley noticed. That being said the weather would effect the camp fire which is the only thing going on after the stages shut.

Don't expect too much from the campfire acts scheduled to play, not much of the booze on offer is below 6%. In 2015 Captain Hotknives was due to play the campfire and a search party was sent out for him to retrieve him from a ditch.

aqua, Voley and William of Walworth like this.
  5. William of Walworth

Thanks for that Teaboy :)

We're already aware of the smallness of it, and what it's all about. Our scrumpy friends from Bristol have told us a fair bit. We really do appreciate cider/perry (festivaldeb's an actual connoisseur) and while I usually prefer beer, a change is always welcome.

We will load up the van with food, and will get away from the site for walks at least a couple of times (there's a far from bad-looking pub in the village :p ).

The thing I'm mainly excited about is the variety and quantity of music/bands, most acts will be new to us, but they all sound our type of festival entertainment :cool:

6. Teaboy

The food available is pretty decent its just obviously a bit limited but that doesn't seem to matter when you're there. They do have a few ales on as far as I remember. Its just if you're a man who likes a lager or two (I know you're not personally) then bring your own.

As for the bands, well if you enjoy a lazy afternoon in the Bimble or a proper good drunken knees up down your local then you enjoy it all.

7. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

I had this one on my list, but it looks a bugger to get to by public transport - we have two cars, but three drivers these days and I won't get away with pinching one of the cars for a long weekend. Same applies to the Blyth Power Ashes on Bank Holiday weekend - a bunch of my Glastonwick mates go to that, but they all live in the opposite direction so cant even give me a lift. I'm going to have to sort out at least one more festie this summer. It may have to be Boomtown - I can walk there if I have to.

8. Teaboy

I'm going to this again this year as it happens. Me and my girlfriend. Really looking forward to it now as due to weddings, holidays and people having babies this will be my only festival this year.

9. Teaboy

Yup it's pretty much in the middle of nowhere. Public transport does look theoretically possible but a hassle.

10. William of Walworth

11. mx wcfc

Cheers WoW, but I havent figured out whether I can get there yet!

Have just begged for a lift on the fb page. maybe......

12. Teaboy

Whereabouts are you based? If you're walking distance from Boomtown you must be Winchester way? Me and my girlfriend are coming from SW London and could probably give you a lift. Will it just be you?

13. mx wcfc

That's fantastic - cheers Teaboy - let me sort out a ticket and book the time off work and I'll get back to you to make arrangements - Winchester will be a bit out of your way - we can sort out somewhere better to meet. If you were thinking M3, A303, A36 etc, I could get a train to Basingstoke for example. Yep, just me. Mrs Mx doesn't do camping.

14. Teaboy

OK great. We'll be going on Saturday morning and coming back on Monday if that works OK for you? I'll pm you.

15. Teaboy

Right-o this is nearly upon us. When are you heading down William of Walworth Are you doing the Friday evening? We've never bothered in the past so will be getting there around midday on Saturday.

Forecast is looking fine but trust me when I say it really doesn't matter if it rains at this festival. Obviously it'd be better if it didn't but no worries if it does. Also a bit of light rain gets the punters into the barns to see the bands.

16. William of Walworth

We'll be there from Friday, and probably we'll be set up from early afternoon. Just checked latest BBC forecast for Cheddar (nearby) and it looks as if things will be considerably better than last weekend :cool:

Looking forward now :D

I'm going to PM you so you can contact or find us -- not difficult :)

17. Teaboy

Yup the weather forecast looks decent, maybe the odd shower but this festival laughs in the face of rain. It'd probably have to rain all day every day to have any negative effect and it ain't going to be doing that.

Its going to be a good one. Recalling the range of ciders and perrys from previous years I'm already intimidated. My g/f is from the West Country but I'm a home counties man and I get easily scared by dangerously drinkable super strong fruit juice.