Out with the Old... Network Rail tell businesses to vacate Atlantic Road arches

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by :-D, Feb 4, 2015.

1. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

I think those repairs are independent of the arch refurb works.
    They've been doing them all along the viaducts in the area, and mostly in the same incongruous style. For example if you walk along Milkwood road at the back of Herne Hill station you'll see quite a few bits at eye level.

Jimbeau and snowy_again like this.
  2. Jimbeau

Jimbeau Lurker

I think that’s likely. They’ll conceive of patching the viaducts as part of railway infrastructure rather than as streetscape. They’re not listed so unlikely to have a special conservation strategy beyond new-for-old replacement of degraded material.

3. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

They arent listed but these arches are in a conservation area.

4. editor

editor hiraethified

2019-07-31_014213.jpg

Well, this is interesting: Anthony Thomas (aka Antic, Dogstar owners) want a change of use on THREE of the arches from retail into - yes, you've guessed it - bar/restaurant/pub use.

Unit 11 is one labelled 'newly refurbished, unit 26 is part of a 'cathedral unit' with arch 22 and I'm not sure which unit is 23.

Gramsci likes this.
  5. editor

editor hiraethified

So if this goes ahead along with Hondo's plans to turn Pope's Road into a monster yuppie booze/food emporium, Brixton will truly become the next Camden.

6. Gramsci

FB_IMG_1564603303268.jpg I looked up the application. Could not find justification for change of use just plans.

Looks to me that Antic have got the whole of the inner bit of the arches now. So have increased the space from what they had before.

BakeRecords and cuppa tee like this.
  7. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

Didn't council/network rail say that they were gonna preserve existing ratios of retail:restaurants and bars

Gramsci likes this.
  8. BakeRecords

BakeRecords New Member

I really don't think we need more licensed premises in central Brixton. I miss the DIY shop. Used to buy all sorts from there.

Gramsci likes this.
  9. Gramsci

That's what I thought.

I don't understand why on the planning application there is no document justifiying the change of use.

Usually on planning applications one finds a doc that says why the application should be given permission.

Unless I missed something.

cuppa tee likes this.
  10. Gramsci

I have to go to Stockwell now for a lot of DIY stuff I need.

11. teuchter

There is still the DIY shop in the arches, isn't there?

12. Lambeth Boy

Lambeth Boy Active Member

I know for a fact that the carpetman at that same location begged NR for a change of use and to pay a higher rent if need be in order to adapt ( and stay in business ) but they flatly refused !!

BusLanes likes this.
  13. happyshopper

happyshopper Well-Known Member

Why not walk a bit further down Brixton Station Road to the diy shop in arch No. 568?

14. Gramsci

doesn't have everything I. need. For some reason there are a lot of DIY / plumbing shops in Stockwell.

15. ChrisSouth

ChrisSouth Well-Known Member

There's also the well stocked Howard Brothers in Camberwell.

Gramsci likes this.
  16. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

Or Clapham DIY.

17. BakeRecords

BakeRecords New Member

Yes, further up the road. I go there or Stockwell for DIY supplies these days.

18. teuchter

The one that remains is the more 'proper' DIY shop; in my memory the other one was more like a household store.

19. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

catching up... I'm curious as to what DIY stuff can't be bought at one or other of the places along Acre Lane. I can only offhand think of one bit of broken boiler I had to go all the way to Landor Rd to get, and that was at least 5 years ago. Otherwise Acre Lane everytime.

20. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

No boilers in Acre Lane for some time - Diamond Merchant has morphed into an upmarket charity shop combining Danish style neo-Starbuck Hygge coffee drinking and paper browsing with rather stylish secondhand stuff.

They have a charming name for this in Ghana - Obroni Wawoo [A white man has died]

BusLanes likes this.
  21. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

no boilers but plenty of plumbing bits in Acre Lane Timber.

I stopped in at that shop once, they wanted fifty notes for a battered table with a dodgy leg. :eek:

22. editor

editor hiraethified

So when those big notices on the refurbished units say, "former business returning" they omit to mention that it's actually just one former business that has bought up a number of units. Sneaky.

equationgirl and Gramsci like this.
  23. Lambeth Boy

The old ‘ Brixton Tools ‘ in Station Road ( 1/2 a Arch as it’s not a through Arch ) is up to rent at £70k p.a + vat , rates , bid !
    So that’s roughly £2,000 per week before you pay wages , electricity etc WOW only a Plc could afford that surely ?

24. editor

editor hiraethified

25. Gramsci

26. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

How did the meeting go? I was going to come but I got stuck elsewhere

27. discobastard

discobastard edited

28. Lambeth Boy

I see that a new trendy fried chicken shop is opening at 3 Atlantic Road ( Old A & C deli Arch ) calling themselves ‘ Other side fried ‘ , looks like they also have outlets in Pop and Peckham Levels !
    Welcome to Nu-Brixton the home of £10 burgers and £5 chips

29. Gramsci

Brixton Station road had a thriving small business sector.

Since the "refurbishment" a lot of units are still available.

NR destroyed the business community.

Lambeth Boy likes this.
  30. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

they also have branches in Soho and Camden.

according to this - Other Side Fried to open first bricks and mortar site - they are only going to have 16 covers, gonna have to shift an awful lot of takeaway to pay the new NR level rents

Lambeth Boy likes this.