Out with the Old... Network Rail tell businesses to vacate Atlantic Road arches

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by :-D, Feb 4, 2015.

1. editor

editor hiraethified

Festive greetings from Network Rail and Lambeth Council

2018-12-24_160049.jpg

equationgirl and Gramsci like this.
  2. editor

editor hiraethified

BusLanes likes this.
  3. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

Are the any of the old traders able to return? have they all been priced out? (apart from the loan shop that is whose continued presence doesn't cheer me at all.)

Sad to see this one is 'TO LET'

4. Lambeth Boy

Lambeth Boy Active Member

At £70- £100 k + vat + rates for a single Arch I wonder who could afford one ? That’s a lot of smashed avocado on toast to sell every week [​IMG]

editor likes this.
  5. organicpanda

organicpanda cat herder extraodinaire

editor likes this.
  6. editor

editor hiraethified

I'm not sure if they left or were pushed out but I'm guessing that's how the other refurbished units are going to look.

7. organicpanda

thh I can't remember who was there before the refurb

8. editor

editor hiraethified

[​IMG]

Brixton 15 Years Ago: Coldharbour Lane, Atlantic Road, Ritzy and a huge can of baked beans, July 2002

organicpanda likes this.
  9. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Dogstar are taking an arch aren't they...

10. editor

editor hiraethified

Eh? You mean Eckovision, right? That's owned by Antic, who also own the Dogstar.

11. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

ah, yes I mean Antic.

12. editor

editor hiraethified

They've had an arch there for quite a few years now. When they were open they sold beers in those extra sneaky 2/3rds of a pint glasses.

13. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

And because the previous place had a later licence and was nicking their punters...

14. editor

editor hiraethified

I would have thought there was more than enough punters in 'drinking destination' nu-Brixton to go around these days.

15. Lambeth Boy

This Tuesday will be the 4th anniversary of Network Rail giving notice to all the family owned businesses in the Arches including A&C deli , Mash brothers fishmongers etc
    What a stitch up !

16. organicpanda

been hearing some astounding figures for the new leases, I think the sealed bids were opened today (may be unsubstantiated gossip) A & C went for £70K, Lambeth Boy would you know more?

Gramsci likes this.
  17. editor

editor hiraethified

Just as everyone suspected. A complete stitch up.

18. Lambeth Boy

23 Atlantic Road ( the old Baron menswear ) is up at £100 k p.a plus vat plus Lambeth rates & the dreaded contribution to Bid so no change out of 3 grand a week ! The previous rent was £18k p.a no wonder they forced him out as well as the others Traders ( obviously not William Hill or H.T Pawnbrokers as that would be immoral !!

Gramsci and snowy_again like this.
  19. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

Are they having a laugh? Have they not be following what’s happening on the High Street? Or noticed that no one has rented the units in Herne Hill because of the high rents?

friendofdorothy, Gramsci and editor like this.
  20. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

When Ms Peck's seat comes up for re-election (if she doesn't try to bend the rules) - someone ought to bring this shit up.

editor likes this.
  21. editor

editor hiraethified

Ah yes, but Brixton is smack bang on trend and filling up with retail therapy gorging nu-residents, so it's not hard to imagine the kind of godawful businesses that are going to slither into those units.

Gramsci likes this.
  22. Lambeth Boy

All Traders including the few returning ones will sign a new 14 year lease which is outside the Landlord and tenant act 1954 so in effect it’s a relatively short term tenancy ! Why didn’t NR ‘ freeze ‘ the existing leases on the existing tenants ? They couldn’t hike the rents up that’s why ?

Gramsci and editor like this.
  23. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

So: a five-fold rent increase at a stroke. Just blatant.

24. editor

editor hiraethified

Have you got a link for that?

25. Axeman

Axeman New Member

6FF4E865-F1F8-48BB-8933-A0B1CD867701.jpeg

26. Axeman

Axeman New Member

This is the actual figures posted on brixtonpillars.com

editor likes this.
  27. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I wish this were true: "Brixton Pillars are situated beneath Brixton overground station, fronting Atlantic Road and Brixton Station Road, bounded by Brixton Road to the West and Pope’s Road to the East."
    (from the Brixton Pillars site).

Brixton people have been campaigning since the early 1980s for Overground platforms at Brixton Southern Region station. Where are they? Instead we have arches at £100k+.

I am no Marxist - but these property speculators could do with sending to the gulag.

Gramsci and editor like this.
  28. Lambeth Boy

Arch 580 is the old Brixton Tools at £54 k p.a (£1,038 per per week plus vat + rates etc ) !!
    Arch 574 was Ashoks ( old convenience store on Station Road ) at £115 k + , +
    Arch 607 ( the Baron on Atlantic Rd ) at £100 k p.a
    What and local start up businesses will be able to afford these ?

29. Lambeth Boy

30. ricbake

ricbake working out how

Our story – Brixton Pillars
    They are asking for in excess of £75 per square foot except beside Brixton Road which gets an eye watering £90 /sq ft.

These are top of the scale prices

upload_2019-2-24_9-8-3.png

Gramsci likes this.