Out with the Old... Network Rail tell businesses to vacate Atlantic Road arches

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by :-D, Feb 4, 2015.

1. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

I expect to be receiving my telegram from HMQ very soon.

2. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Given the discussion here on start ups getting funding from shady investment companies based in offshore banking and part owned by Ukrainiann Oligarch can all posters agree capitalism is shit.

None of this surprising to me. Getting away from Ed this is example that this way of doing business is normal accepted practice in the kind of society we live.

It often strikes me one of the reasons Im not keen on Pop is that it props up the myth/ fantasy of capitalist ideology that entrepreneuralism is a good thing. People pulling themselves up by there bootstraps is how society works. This if course is bollox.

I'm not having a go at this foodie business. Just pointing out that even in smallish business like this one can see how modern capitalism operates.

Its been normalised that is how the system works.

editor likes this.
  3. JuanTwoThree

JuanTwoThree Unintended gear-stick action

4. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

editor likes this.
  5. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

This was in the Standard yesterday. Seems like Network Rail are about as efficient raising capital from their arches as they are introducing the new timetables
    Trump1.jpg

6. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Surely the issue is that they are trying to be too efficient at raising capital ?

Alex

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Not so efficient if they lose all their bidders.

CH1 likes this.
  8. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Of that previous potential backers pulled away as the negative reputational impact was perceived as outweighing the forecast income?

editor likes this.
  9. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

There are some proper scumbags left on the list, and privately owned companies probably have less reputational issues.

Alex

brixtonblade and Gramsci like this.
  10. Gramsci

Selling off arches was Osbourne idea when he was Chancellor.

NR weren't pleased. Big projects like Kings Cross had shown NR potential of arches in some areas.

NR never wanted to do this.

11. Gramsci

Don't quite understand last paragraph of article. NR actions in Brixton. ( and Loughborough Junction tenants are under threat) shows they don't care about SMEs.

12. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

The last sentence is comment from the writer, pointing out that sme’s create 2/3 jobs and so having lots of small units available for cheap is probably very good value from a economic perspective.

Alex

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    Gramsci likes this.
  13. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

To me it reads that the Standard's business editor thinks small businesses should be protected - not least taking into account that they were renting from a publicly owned body.

Gramsci likes this.
  14. JuanTwoThree

JuanTwoThree Unintended gear-stick action