1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out with the Old... Network Rail tell businesses to vacate Atlantic Road arches

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by :-D, Feb 4, 2015.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Gramsci likes this.
  2. Lambeth Boy

Lambeth Boy Member

I can't see how all the materials requires to refurbish the Arches could be delivered without effecting the surrounding Market in Station Road and Pop Brixton plus guaranteeing the safety of the people getting on and off trains to bad from Victoria ? Am I missing something ?

3. Lambeth Boy

Lambeth Boy Member

Thinking about NR's original promise to find alternative ' temporary ' units for the Traders why didn't they honour it ? Wasn't it supposed to be around Valencia Place ?

Gramsci likes this.
  4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

5. Lambeth Boy

Lambeth Boy Member

I would be surprised if Lambeth approve NR's application leaving the existing Traders to work in the middle of a building site with the workmen using welding equipment possibly creating a fire risk , no more tragedies please Lambeth !

6. ruskindenmark

ruskindenmark New Member

IMG_4836.PNG Ummmmmmm..... well, this isn't dodgy at all.

7. Lambeth Boy

Lambeth Boy Member

I see all the expensive aluminium ' Brixton Pillars ' ( ? ) hoardings have been removed from all the boarded up Arches in Atlantic & Station Road for the 2nd time in as many Months !!
    I wonder if NR are going to start works before the CEMP is approved by Lambeth ? We're watching you

8. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

At last Brixton Neighborhood Forum was told by someone from Brixton BID that they were to be replaced with something similar.

I don't know why. Talking to traders in that stretch and they are scathing of the hoardings.

9. Lambeth Boy

Lambeth Boy Member

Portaloos delivered into empty Arches today so something's on the move , hope your not going to start the works NR before you get the CEMP approved ?

10. Lambeth Boy

Lambeth Boy Member

See the new trendy signage been erected today telling everyone how amazing NR are and all the great efforts they've made to help the returning tenants , let's see ?

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Ooh, I'll go take a look. I love a bit of papering-over-the-cracks PR.

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

13. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

Oh my. Straight out of the Social Greenwash Bullshit for Beginners handbook. "yeah just paint it red, gold & green, bung in a rainbow on it as well just to be sure, keep repeating the word *diversity* and it'll be fine"...

Look at all those diverse, community-minded little icon people with their hands in the air. That's what joyful social unity looks like, innit. Never mind what real actual living human beings tell you about the places they live, work and shop :facepalm:

For such an eye-bleedingly bright bit of visual design it's all still a bit transparent. You might even say insultingly transparent.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Looking at the blurb on those new billboards I can't help wondering if some face-saving non-disclosure deal was done with some of the traders...

15. Lambeth Boy

Lambeth Boy Member

I wonder how many of the 20 Traders affected so far are returning ? Network Rail said 75% are coming back but when I went to School 2 out of 20 didn't make 75%

16. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

20170819_174314.jpg

This one pissed me off. Using the old CND symbol.

friendofdorothy and editor like this.
  17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I don't think Brixton is becoming "increasingly diverse" either.

sealion likes this.
  18. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

If it's true, I'm very happy that Cafe Max and the Moroccan guys (Cafe Brixton?) are coming back.

19. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

Also, "despite" increasing diversity, people are still able to get on? Miraculous :facepalm:

rich!, sealion, editor and 1 other person like this.
  20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Yep. It's a right load of patronising guff.

21. Lambeth Boy

Lambeth Boy Member

Who are Brixton Pilars ? Why would they use there money to make up signage to affix to Network Rail hoardings unless NR paid them and told them who's ' coming back ' and what to say , why aren't the 4 remaining Traders featured on the boards ?

22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

If you search on Google all the top results are from Brixton Buzz, but I dug deeper and there is a website!
    It was registered in June 2017 - long after the hoardings went up - but they've hidden who has registered the site...
    Home

23. Lambeth Boy

Lambeth Boy Member

So they're not Brixton Bid ? They are definitely not Traders that's for sure ! It's got to be Network Rail conducting a damage limitation exercise as there name is mud in Brixton for stitching up the tenants of the Arches and creating a Ghost Town . I wonder does Mark Carne who what a balls up his Staff have made of Brixton ?

24. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

When I looked into it a little while ago, a short time on google led me to the conclusion that the "Brixton Pillars" campaign is/was run by Brixton BID.

According to the Brixton Pillars website (on the first page of google results for me), the following businesses wanted to be featured on the hoardings:

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They've elected to conceal the owner of the domain name, and that reason for that decision can be open to interpretation. I'm still trying to shake off my suspicions that some sort of backroom deal wasn't done here.

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Well, this is really setting the spin-o-meter to critical levels.

2017-08-21_225222.jpg

Eckovision only opened up in late 2015, so why are they claiming to have been there for 12 years?

The bar is owned by Antic, but they make no mention of that.

27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

2017-08-21_225513.jpg

"THE COCKTAIL BARS
    THE RISING RENTS
    THE GENTRIFICATION"

sealion likes this.
  28. Lambeth Boy

Lambeth Boy Member

One of the advertising signs promotes ' Boom juice ' a shop that closed Months ago in Station Road ! But I'm still confused Brixton Pillars ( a secret sect of BID ? ) promotes a closed down Shop but not the 4 Traders fighting the eviction , Why ?

Jonti likes this.
  29. Lambeth Boy

Lambeth Boy Member

It's been nearly a year that most of the Traders were forced into leaving and look what NR have done ? How can Lambeth Council allow them to turn a thriving area into a Ghost area right in the middle of Brixton

bimble, friendofdorothy and sealion like this.
  30. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

It's not so much the "how" - that's an established fact: By moving out viable traders.

The important question is why, and I think people need to look to the discussions around the "town plan" for central Brixton, and how the council wanted a "night-time economy" and all the venues and shops that would bring. You can't have a "party zone" when one side of the zone's perimeter is composed of practical, old-skool shops that don't sell expensive coffee and/or cocktails, or chi-chi faux-Caribbean cuisine blandified for Surrey-raised palettes.

Gramsci likes this.