1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out with the Old... Network Rail tell businesses to vacate Atlantic Road arches

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by :-D, Feb 4, 2015.

1. :-D

:-D Peas & Cues

Have just been told by my landlords, Network Rail, that they have plans to redevelop the Arches we rent, and that we dont figure in their new shiny plans. It's not just us, it's every arch along Atlantic Road and Brixton Station Road, from Brixton Road to Poes Road.

Everyone to be Served Notice by "springtime 2015"

To Vacate 6 months after.

New Units to be available from 2017, but there's no "first refusal" given to us on the increased new rents that will come with any new tennancy. We have to apply like anyone else interested. So it looks like after over 40 years, its Goodbye A & C Continental Grocers & hello Pret a Manger, Waitrose Local etc.

andrewdroid, Gramsci and djdando like this.
  2. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

That doesn't even sound legal, let alone desirable.

muscovyduck, :-D, oryx and 3 others like this.
  3. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Ugh :(

:-D likes this.
  4. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Wow

5. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

the same sort of thing happening along whitechapel high st (rd?). lots of little businesses going, lots of chains coming in. vile. (((:-D)))

6. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

Sorry to hear this. Is there any way to challenge it?

Thimble Queen, :-D and Greebo like this.
  7. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back?

This.
    There must be something we can do.

8. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Foot's on the other hand

Pret a Eviction :(

9. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

Really depressing news. Will be very sad to see these businesses pushed out.

The fishmongers has also been there since the 1930s (I think). Check out the tiles on the wall in there.

muscovyduck, zora, gaijingirl and 7 others like this.
  10. Rushy

Rushy igam ogam

I don't know much about retail but do not see why it would be illegal. I imagine the best course of action will be for protesters to make the case to Network Rail about making room for old businesses who want to stay on. A bit like Nour.

muscovyduck, :-D and Greebo like this.
  11. Dexter Deadwood

Dexter Deadwood Left Voluntarily Enforced Holiday Banned

I'm surprised that anyone is surprised especially the Tory types on this Forum.

yardbird, shygirl and el-ahrairah like this.
  12. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

We should be asking how this fits with Brixton Central. Is this why we were being made to play card games?

Where would YOU put the residential, the recreational, the retail etc?

Meanwhile maybe Network Rail and Lambeth Regen were preparing an ambush behind the scenes. That's what it looks like to me.

muscovyduck, Gramsci, shygirl and 5 others like this.
  13. technical

technical stripey

What stage is Brixton Central at? Is there any chance of more consultation giving people a chance of making it clear that we don't want the town centre being a clone town?

Greebo and :-D like this.
  14. tompound

tompound Well-Known Member

I've attended pretty much every consultation and I don't think that the organisers could have been left in any doubt that this (a clone town) is not what people want.

muscovyduck, Onket, Gramsci and 5 others like this.
  15. Rushy

Rushy igam ogam

What control do you think Lambeth have over the arches? None pretty much.

16. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Why are they bothering to negotiate with Network Rail then? Is all this "joint working" a fiction for the masses?

Gramsci and :-D like this.
  17. Rushy

Rushy igam ogam

I haven't been to any of the sessions so couldn't say. The joint working for Raleigh Hall and Windrush Square were both a sham. Waste of my time. I don't imagine these are any different.

ETA confused your joint networking reference CH1 with Toms earlier mention of consultation

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

mod, Gramsci, gaijingirl and 11 others like this.
  19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I know petitions are often a total waste of time etc., but I think I'm going to have to set one up anyway (as well as explore every other avenue of lobbying). When the arches go, well, the Brixton I know and love has gone.

20. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

"Retail and cafes - Network Rail to invest in the refurbishment of the arches..." sure sounds a lot co-operative than, "Network Rail to hoof out all long standing businesses to maximise profits."

Gramsci, Greebo, :-D and 2 others like this.
  22. Rushy

Rushy igam ogam

23. lizzieloo

lizzieloo Numpty extraordinaire

How useful is your MP?

24. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

Oh please :facepalm: ,..... the two logo's in the bottom right corner show a degree of co-operation.....

shygirl, Greebo, :-D and 2 others like this.
  25. Rushy

Rushy igam ogam

Oh well. If the logos are there.

26. Crispy

This is very much NR's approach to their property. No investment without an increase in revenue.

27. SarfLondoner

SarfLondoner KenDoddsDadsDogsDead.

:-D and snowy_again like this.
  28. Rushy

Rushy igam ogam

Also, pretty hard to refurb railway arches without gutting then completely. Have you seen the patchwork of internal water works, gutters, etc in Budget Carpets? Had a long chat with the guy in there about it last week.

29. Crispy

I have intimate personal experience of the subject :)

30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Independent shopkeepers who have serving Brixton for decades get turfed out, while Network Rail rakes it in. It's obscene.