1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OurLambeth bid to be the London Borough of Culture

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Oct 18, 2017.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Not entirely sure what this is all about

Home - OurLambeth

2. Tropi

Tropi Well-Known Member

Piss taking? THEY ARE FUCKING CLOSING DOWN LIBRARIES and replacing them with gyms!

Rutita1, Gramsci, sealion and 2 others like this.
  3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

it's henry kissinger peace prize all over again

lang rabbie, Tropi and sealion like this.
  4. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

5. Gramsci

editor see Brixton Blog/ Bugle is supporting Lambeth's bid. Take it that Brixton Buzz wasn't asked?:D

6. Gramsci

Boroughs that are acquiescing in the social cleansing of London, where artists and creative people are being pushed out of London, applying to be London Borough of Culture. It's bollox. Sure Squires be happy to support it though. So I shouldn't be to negative.

7. tim

tim Well-Known Member

The middle class artists and creative people who pushed out the as working class people.

Slo-mo and Pickman's model like this.
  8. Gramsci

Funnily enough my father was an artist. And he was working class. I grew up in working class area. Whatever faults he had ( and they were a lot) this idea that art is just middle class activity is wrong. It's actually in my view a reverse kind of prejudice. That people from working class backgrounds can't be creative.

wayward bob and Pickman's model like this.
  9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Of course not. :)

Gramsci likes this.
  10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Brixton Blog are very keen:

11. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

You should all support the Croydon bid. Just to annoy Lambeth

twistedAM and Pickman's model like this.
  12. Gramsci

What a load of nothing. That video was just platitudes.

Tricky Skills likes this.
  13. Gramsci

I know what you mean but I wouldn't want to inflict this on Croydon. They have MP who was Nu Labour leader of Lambeth and Chief Executive Jo Negrini. The right on ex Lambeth council officer ( Ex Town Centre Manager of Brixton) who climbed the slippery slope of local government arse licking Nu Labour to get to where she is now. I wouldn't want them to lap up yet another award to put on there CV.

Tricky Skills likes this.
  14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've tweeted Lambeth to ask why neither urban75 or Buzz was invited. Surely the sign of a strong and inclusive council is one that can accommodate differing opinions rather than gathering a collective of nodding yes men/women around them... After all, they are the 'co-operative' council or do they only want to 'co-operate' with people who don't challenge any of their decisions?

ViolentPanda, Gramsci and lang rabbie like this.
  15. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

I know all about her, don't worry. She is potentially not long for the world of employment in Croydon if the Leader needs someone to take the fall for the recent Ofsted.

Just because we don't like the administrations though doesn't mean things like this can't be good for the actual people who live in a borough.

ViolentPanda likes this.
  16. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Is Bromley bidding? I'd back them just to piss off every London Labour borough!

Dan U likes this.
  17. ViolentPanda

A Croydon bid could be centred around The Damned. :cool:

Dan U and DietCokeGirl like this.
  18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

brixtonblade likes this.
  19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Get uploading your fave pics!

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

21. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

22. bimble

bimble uber-hippy twonk peanut

Gramsci likes this.
  23. ViolentPanda

Also, loads of ticket-holders who have spoken out against the council in the past, have had their tickets cancelled.

24. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter edge of heaven

But it'll do wonders for the house prices.

25. Gramsci

So they have been going through names of ticket holders to see if they have been involved in library campaign etc?

26. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

In the good old days Shane Collins (Green Party, Legalise Cannabis Campaign) might have organised a "Bonfire of the Vanities" burning of Lambeth Labour Manifestos combined with a dope smoke-in outside the St Pauls Pavilion, Royal Festival Hall to piss off Ms Peck.

Now cultural vandalism and state intimidation is normalised, unfortunately.

27. ViolentPanda

Certainly looks like it.

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Oooh, have you any more info about that? any names happy to go on record? Be good to let people know how the 'co-op' council operate.

29. ViolentPanda

I'll have an ask around, and try to get back to you soon.

editor likes this.
  30. ViolentPanda

I've spoken to half a dozen. None are willing to go on record. I'm not really surprised, as most are council tenants, and they're worried about blow-back. :(