Osprey Migrations

Discussion in 'science, nature and environment' started by StoneRoad, Mar 20, 2014.

1. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

MrsG laid her first egg for this year at 11:21 on 13th April 2019

(e2a the exact time the first egg was revealed).

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    kebabking likes this.
  2. StoneRoad

14th April -
    first eggs at Foulshaw Moss & Kielder1A

Chilli.s and kebabking like this.
  3. friedaweed

friedaweed Sitting down for a wee

Fished Llyn Brenig today and spent quite a bit of time watching the pair. Magnificent.

They were throwing sticks about in the water beneath the nests and humping each other on the side of the platform :D It's so wonderful to fish whist these are flying around you, quite mesmerising. I had a full bag of fish too, one of which is going in the oven shortly.

:thumbs:

kebabking and Chilli.s like this.
  4. StoneRoad

That's brilliant, friedaweed .

Apologies (again) for the relative lack of recent updates, been working away from home and without much access to t'interwebbs.

We're in the egg laying phase now ... lots of them ...

one snippet - third egg from MrsG today (19th April)

kebabking, Chilli.s and friedaweed like this.
  5. friedaweed

friedaweed Sitting down for a wee

Kudos to you :cool: Keep up the good work mucker :thumbs:

kebabking likes this.
  6. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

IMG_20190504_145201043.jpg

Popped into Llyn Brenig today - the North Wales Wildlife Trust were running an observation post with free to use optics.

No hatchings yet, but the parents are feeding well and in obviously good condition. Saw both the male and female, the male disappeared off to do some fishing and the female is sat on the eggs.

Really worth popping over there if you can - lots of good vantage points, the cafe does excellent cakes, and its easy to access all the way around. Ruthin is, as ever, a charming little town with lots of nice shops and good pubs. The 'spoons is a hotel as well... IMG_20190504_145201043.jpg

Chilli.s, StoneRoad and planetgeli like this.
  7. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

Castle is a cracking place to stay too. Had a great dirty weekend there a few years ago. Probably not the thread for it but fuck it. I did.

8. StoneRoad

I noticed a few days ago that ...
    a) Kielder are reporting on SIX nests this year (started officially with one in 2008 ... and I think I saw the male fishing in the river before that year)

b) Kielder 1A have four eggs (Laid 14/4, 17/4, 20/4 and 23/4) as does Maya at Rutland )laid 2/4, 5/4, 8/4 and 11/4)

c) that on 7th May - Blue Z2, Aeron, a 2017 Dyfi male spotted on Dyfi nest (He needs to nip over to near Pont Creoser, Near Glaslyn where 5F is sitting on her nest waiting for a mate. Assuming Tegid hasn't already been over there.

e2a - it would appear that White EJ has failed to return to her nest at Loch Garten, "Fly Free EJ"

Both Maya and Lassie (Rutland / Loch of the Lowes) are significantly ahead in their incubation period, so early chicks are a possibility in the next week.

Sad to report that there have been some human intruders ... luckily the alarmed birds returned to the nest very quickly and the weather was not cold enough to have been a risk over the relatively short period that the eggs were exposed - and no crows / magpies !

9. StoneRoad

Update 11th May 2019

Both Loch of the Lowes and Manton Bay (Rutland) have had a chick hatch today.
    (If / when I find out times I'll edit) So the "competion" was a technical draw.

10. StoneRoad

Checked sources again ;

Nothing reported for today, 12th May ...

but Maya has had a second chick hatch yesterday (11th)
    no details regarding timing (yet)

11. StoneRoad

the time info from Manton Bay ...

chick 1 - first seen 18:24 (when Maya stood up to do some nestwork)
    chick 2 - showed up around 20:00

Today, they are strong enough to hold their heads up whilst begging for food.

12. StoneRoad

13. StoneRoad

Second chick at Loch of the Lowes was first seen Sunday 12th May 2019. (will add time later - that was at 19:18 , according to their blog, first chip in the egg observed at around 08:00)

Manton Bay & the Loch were about ten days ahead of all the other monitored nests, so there should be a few days pause in the hatching record. The very good weather predicted might speed up a few chicks, we'll see ...

e2a - I expect Mrs G's first chick to arrive just after the Manton Bay / Loch clutches are all hatched ...

Last edited: May 13, 2019 at 5:52 PM
    Chilli.s likes this.
  14. StoneRoad

Third chick hatched 13th May 2019 at 2248 in the Manton Bay nest (one more egg to go) ...

15. StoneRoad

That chick is the 150th hatching at Rutland since the translocation project started in 1996.

16. StoneRoad

The third chick has hatched at Loch of the Lowes at 05:12 this morning (a bit later than expected !)

Chilli.s likes this.
  17. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

Rutland Ospreys' were in Radio 4 this morning.

That's it, that's all I've got. Sorry...

Chilli.s likes this.
  18. StoneRoad

And, yesterday (17th May), the fourth chick hatched out in the Manton Bay nest. 33(10) is going to have his work cut out feeding that many mouths ...

Last edited: May 18, 2019 at 8:40 PM
    Chilli.s likes this.