Original Dulwich Hamlet Badge/Crest

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Jules P, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Jules P

Jules P #noprestonnoparty

Does anyone know the meanings behind what makes up the original badge? Interested to know where the birds came from, what the chimneys(?), the leaves and the gate represents etc. Sorry if some of this is obvious and I should know this!

[​IMG]

iamwithnail likes this.
  2. Roger D

Roger D Well-Known Member

It's not the original crest. It dates back to the 30's from memory and was designed by a club member. It does all have a meaning, from memory there are references to London and Surrey, Camberwell, Westminster, presumably Dulwich and certainly the de Crespigny family in there. I think the full explanation can be found in the 75th anniversary book if anyone has access to that.

The oldest club crest I have seen is similar to the one in use next season which appeared around the early twentieth century. I think it had fallen into disuse before badges started appearing on shirts.

Edited, here's the old Camberwell crest which shows a distinct influence.

Camberwell - Coat of arms (crest) of Camberwell

The oak leaf comes from Surrey

Surrey - Coat of arms (crest) of Surrey

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Jules P and blueheaven like this.
  3. Al Crane

Al Crane Well-Known Member

4. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

That description is taken from the book of the club's history published in 1968, to mark its 75th anniversary. Camberwell had been a separate borough encompassing Dulwich until a few years earlier, when it was one of a number of boroughs absorbed by neighbouring boroughs in what became Greater London. Logically that portion of our badge would now feature Southwark if it was being designed from scratch. The club also owned the freehold of the ground until 1970, when it was sold to OCS to clear debts.

Dulwich Mishi and Jules P like this.
  5. Jules P

Jules P #noprestonnoparty

This is exactly the sort of information I was looking for... thank you!

6. Scottfield

Scottfield Active Member

And for a bonus point, the Dulwich "chevron and 3 cinquefoils" in the top right are from Edward Alleyn's arms, who founded Dulwich College.

iamwithnail likes this.
  7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Is that a dog turd flying above the leaves in the to left quadrant?

:hmm:

8. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

I've always assumed it was an acorn.

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Maybe it's one of the flying sausages from the Met Police game?

10. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

I fucking love this badge and it's intricate history. It looks like a proper football club crest, especially when you compare it to some of the monstrosities that have been introduced in recent years up and down the football league (Shrewsbury, Hull, Brentford, Oldham et al).

I hope we only have the original badge for this season.

Jamie Wyatt and Lucy Fur like this.
  11. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

Apparently it was an acorn, but Meadow have trademarked acorns so we have to call it a peanut now.

12. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

I love the simplicity and the history of the original badge, with it dating back to the beginning, the 'Pa' Wilson era.

13. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Yes, it represents the Dulwich Park nimbies who want all dogs on leads in the park. They forget us dog owners use it 365 days a year in all weather, not only when the sun’s out.

14. Latahs

Latahs Well-Known Member

East Surrey la la la

iamwithnail likes this.
  15. jonesyboyo

jonesyboyo Well-Known Member

Will any merch be available with this season's badge soon ? Nothing doing on the DHST shop yet it seems

16. DHST

DHST Active Member

jonesyboyo likes this.