Organising a film screening

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by Threshers_Flail, Sep 17, 2018.

1. AnnO'Neemus

AnnO'Neemus Is so vanilla

Kinofilm festival had some screenings at Niamos* in Hulme the other day, so presumably the licensing stuff is feasible for small-scale events.

*An accessible venue, unlike Partisan in the city centre. Some people care about disability access, some people don't.

2. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

Why ? When I do film screenings I often have my projector on a table and that’s perfectly fine. It also allows me to place the blu-ray player and an amp next to it instead of setting up something with long leads and cables people may trip over. The height is just just right. If like me you use different venues, an above the head set up may not be practical.

3. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

It’s just a better way of doing it, it’s always nice if someone needs to go for a slash they don’t walk in between the projector and the screen. There’s always going to be cables involved, gaffer them down.

4. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

It all depends on the set up and venue. Unless you’ve got a fixed set up, it may complicated things and you may have to attach the projector upside down with a rig to project at the right height. Sorry, just trying to keep this easy, it’s certainly not a must.

5. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

I'd be inclined to agree that 2,200 lumens will probably be sufficient, but if the room can't blacked out or if they want a large image, the extra brightness/contrast could make a big difference. It's hard to give exact advice when you don't know the full setup and are a bit of a perfectionist!

Threshers_Flail likes this.
  6. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

I dip into home theater forums every so often and compared to that lot, I'm far from a perfectionist. :D

Give me a decent budget projector, a white wall and a darkened room and I'm happy. It's amazing how far projectors have come along in the last couple of decades. What would have set you back thousands just 15 years ago, can now be had for 500 quid. A projector also works out cheaper than a large HD telly and is far more immersive. Can't imagine to going back watching films on a small telly. :)

BigTom likes this.
  7. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

I'm the same at home - I got a 550 lumens portable LED projector and project onto a white wall and I've been really suprised by how bright it is. I want to get pull down projection screen but only so I can hang some art on that wall and I'm not even that bothered if some stuff is washed out by the ambient light or too dark, though I need to get blackout blinds really.
    But if I'm out and doing stuff for other people then my professional video tech instinct kicks in and I have a need to get it exact!