Opera

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Garek, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Garek

Garek Living n ADDled chaos

So I watched Serpico and now I like Opera :facepalm:

Been listening to Tosca a lot recently recently, both in German and Italian.

Any one got any recommendations for others ones I should check out? 99% of the classical I like is in minor key so nothing to bouncy and happy please.

*pre-emptively watches thread sink like lead balloon*

Shirl and Cloo like this.
  2. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

3. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

I've got tickets for the Threepenny Opera in a couple of weeks time, that's very good (tho rather different to the likes of Tosca). If you like Tosca, I'd have a listen to Verdi and the big Mozart pieces (Giovanni, Marriage of Figaro, Cosi fan Tutti), as well as other Puccini stuff.

4. Geri

Geri wasn't born to follow

Tosca is my absolute favourite. As belboid said, you will probably like other Puccini stuff (Madama Butterfly & La Boheme are the only ones I've seen). The only others I've seen are Rigoletto & Cosi fan Tutti (although I was surprised I enjoyed the latter as musically it isn't something I would listen to). I'd like to see Aida, Carmen and The Barber of Seville.

Although it can be expensive going to the opera, they sometimes have cinema showings or big screens live from the Royal Opera House.

If you have Sky Arts they usually have operas or ballets on Monday nights.

5. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

I have been listening to Madame Butterfly recently. I'd never bothered with it before but I'm loving it. There are plenty of operas that I like and listen to but so far I'm loving almost all of Madame Buttefly.
    I'm no opera buff, I've only been to see three live at the theatre so I maybe have no idea what's great.

Geri I've been listening to La Boheme a bit too but the male chorus's annoy me a bit.

6. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

I might listen to Tosca next :)

7. Geri

I think I may have fallen asleep last time I went to see it :oops:

Shirl likes this.
  8. Geri

See if you can get a CD or even better, the DVD of the Angela Gheorghiu and Roberto Alagna version, it's fab. What I love about Tosca is that each act has the most amazing aria in it and it just seems so perfectly balanced.

Shirl likes this.
  9. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

Thanks I'll buy that one. I listen on CDs anyway :)

10. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

oops, just bought with a click :D

Geri likes this.
  11. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Best opera ever, and this is also one of my favourite productions:

Simon Keenlyside makes me go a bit :oops:

Cloo and Idris2002 like this.
  12. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="Garek, post: 13057435, member: 43368/]nothing to bouncy and happy please.
    [/QUOTE]

Wozzeck

Cloo likes this.
  13. colacubes

Wozzeck[/QUOTE]

That is neither happy or bouncy tbf :D

14. colacubes

I love Akhnaten by Phillip Glass but it's not for everyone:

ska invita and Santino like this.
  15. Left

Left aimless

WAGNER - anything post-Rienzi but especially TRISTAN - musical edging

A lot of the best operas are 20th century ones - Wozzeck, Lulu, Moses und Aron, Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk, Peter Grimes, Dialogues of the Carmelites - they go to places 19th century opera wouldn't dare

Cloo likes this.
  16. ibilly99

ibilly99 Banned Banned

The last scene of Mozart's Don Giovanni when he is cast down to hell for his libertine ways has been bizarrely mixed up with Jimmy Savile - BOGOF !

17. ibilly99

ibilly99 Banned Banned

Conceptually brilliant and a wonderful voice - not sure why she is naked though. Mezzo Soprano Abigail Wright.

ska invita likes this.
  18. Garek

Garek Living n ADDled chaos

Cheers all :) very helpful. Going to cross reference with R3's build your library thing to find good version of the aforementioned.

19. dessiato

dessiato Looking for my shopping trolley

Cosi fan Tutti and Carmen are my favourites.

20. dessiato

dessiato Looking for my shopping trolley

It seems to relate to this, although I still don't see why they are naked.

ibilly99 likes this.
  21. buscador

buscador culturally dominant

Also, Zimmermann's Die Soldaten. Quite brutal.

22. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Ive always really disliked opera - the tone of the voices just grates me - but then i got to go to the opera in the flesh and its a completely different experience - the theatre soaks up all the harsh tones of the voice and it really is quite an amzing thing

[​IMG]

though partly why i fell in love with it was because i got to see Phillip Glasses thing on Ghandi - incredible production and spellbinding music. Unforgetable experience.

I imagine any Phillip Glass opera is a must-see.

ive since been to see one i cant even remember the name of, a minor italian one, and even that i got into it a lot. But i still struggle hearing recordings of them, and the voices still make my nervous system rattle. But i wouldnt turn down a ticket to any live show.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    farmerbarleymow and ibilly99 like this.
  23. ibilly99

ibilly99 Banned Banned

A bit 'Eyes Wide Shut' and pervy upper classes thinking it is transgressive and cutting edge and the singer wanting to be 'out there'.

Joan Sutherland Casta Diva in Bellini's Norma for the bel canto canary warbling vocal fireworks - a musical orgasm if there ever was one. I saw her very last night in Covent Garden back in the 80s she was in her 60's and could still deliver. Was an opera fanatic for about a decade and then almost overnight turned against it as overblown, elitist , over dramatised and a dinosaurish art form. In my 50s am slowly coming back and seeing it in a more balanced way.

trabuquera and Geri like this.
  24. ibilly99

ibilly99 Banned Banned

Verdi choruses and quartets are always thrilling and hair raising -

Macbeth

Rigoletto

You can't go wrong with Verdi !

25. sunnysidedown

sunnysidedown Well-Known Member

I can't get enough Robert Ashley

and Bartok is always worth a listen

along with Ligeti

26. ibilly99

ibilly99 Banned Banned

Oh and Wagner - you have to go there in the end - despite his fascist and misogynistic tendencies it is his overpowering and all encompassing transcendent music which is to my mind long after his death all that matters in the end. The liebestod from Tristan and Isolde - a total musical endless orgasm.

Cloo likes this.
  27. Geri

Here are two of my favourite singers, Elina Garanca and Anna Netrebko.

28. Dillinger4

Dillinger4 Es gibt Zeit

I love opera. One of my (few) achievements in life is that I have heard all 16 hours of Der Rings des Nibelungen by Wagner. It was on Radio3 last year.

Cloo likes this.
  29. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

Geri Tosca arrived yesterday. I don't work Mondays so I'll be able to indulge myself tomorrow. I really want to go to see some more live opera now though.

Geri likes this.
  30. Cloo

Cloo Surfeit of lampreys

Mussorgsky's Boris Godunov is fantastic. Lots of action, really dramatic, atmospheric music - it's one of my favourites.

I have inherited wagnermania from my parents. I come over a bit funny as soon as I hear the opening bars of Rhinegold. Sadly no one's done a good London production for years so I've never seen it all on stage. My parents were fortunate enough to see some classic ones in the 70s and 80s.