Open University - I might become Scottish

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by joebloggs69, Jan 29, 2018.

  1. joebloggs69

    joebloggs69 Member

    Just wondered if anyone has had any experience of this?

    Long story short, I'm in England (and skint!), lost my job recently and really fancy a change of career - thinking of a physics degree and possibly even later post grad study.

    I can pay £17,000 for an OU degree in England or I can move up with my family in Glasgow (thanks to my Scottish Dad) and get the exact same course for £5000. This is the difference between it being possible or not possible for me to do it. I'd plan to do it in 3-4 years - and to be perfectly frank I haven't decided if I would then actually stay there or sneak off home with instruction for my family to forward the course materials.

    As far as I can tell, unlike other uni's I have looked at, the OU doesn't stipulate that you have to have lived in Scotland for any particular length of time. Just that it is your "main and lawful address".

    I'm just wondering if anyone has had to provide proof of residency at the OU - what do they ask for? Not much info online.
    Artaxerxes likes this.
  2. t0bytoo

    t0bytoo Well-Known Member

    I did a lot of OU study living overseas. Had to get course materials forwarded by a friend. Though most stuff is available online.

    Not sure about the 'residency' requirements for paying Scottish fees, but I'd go for it. Don't imagine anyone will be the wiser. You can also go to tutorials in any part of the country - and as often as you like.

    Good luck!
    joebloggs69 likes this.
  3. Artaxerxes

    Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

    If you have a mate in Scotland whose address you can use then bloody go for it.
    Plumdaff and joebloggs69 like this.
  4. heinous seamus

    heinous seamus til clay-cauld death shall blind my ee

    Do you not get it for free anyway if you don't have a job?
    joebloggs69 likes this.
  5. Chilli.s

    Chilli.s changed the little words

    Go for it. Such a grey area and who is going to look that hard. Just comply with the address thing and be aware of it throughout the duration.
    joebloggs69 likes this.
  6. joebloggs69

    joebloggs69 Member

    Thanks everyone.

    No I don’t think you get anything free for being jobless these days.

    From what I can gather from the available info online, it doesn’t look like they try particularly hard to catch you out. As T0bytoo says, they even say you’re free to move around the country and can take tutorials/exams anywhere. Even says when you take your proof of residency to an OU Centre for verification it doesn’t have to be a Centre in the country you’re claiming to reside in .

    Presumably they can’t do much as many people will be using OU precisely because they move around the country often for work etc.

    I did read somewhere you might have to prove that your primary purpose for moving to Scotland was not for education, but how the hell are you (Or they) supposed to prove that?

    Thanks for the encouragement guys, I think I’ll do it.
  7. joebloggs69

    joebloggs69 Member

    Actually Seamus, that might be true in Scotland but I imagine that would involve all sorts of hoops to jump through for me to move up there and claim unemployment benefit and then apply for OU using whatever scheme they have - I think it would involve Scottish Student Finance and they’d be a hell of a lot stricter about why and when I moved up there.

    I’d rather stick the £5K on a 0% credit card and have done with it.
    Sprocket. likes this.
  8. Sprocket.

    Sprocket. No matter where; of comfort no man speak..

    Go for it.
  9. Throbbing Angel

    Throbbing Angel it's a very pretty colour this ambulance, isn't it

    When theBoy was approaching Uni age there was the possibility of relocating to Scotland with Mrs A's job or a new job. Dumfries or Aberdeen.

    We looked into the Uni thing and we would have had to have lived there for a year for him to qualify for Scottish fees - this is at a bricks and mortar Uni.

    I don't see why the OU wouldn't employ this too, though, as they seem to be be very similar in many ways (funding, fees, etc)

    Check it out is what I am saying - otherwise - where do you sign up? I might follow you!
  10. equationgirl

    equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

    Check it out just in case, you don't want all the upheaval for nothing. But if you can do this and save yourself a small fortune, go for it.
  11. bellaozzydog

    bellaozzydog rolling turds in glitter

    Smash it

    Throbbing Angel likes this.
  12. Idris2002

    Idris2002 put humans in tube

  13. Chilli.s

    Chilli.s changed the little words

    Some peeps I know bought a property in Scotland purely to send their kids to uni. And it worked.
    Throbbing Angel likes this.
  14. danny la rouge

    danny la rouge Hoc vellum voluntater album mansum est

    Throbbing Angel likes this.
  15. gosub

    gosub ~#

    Went back to education while living in Scotland, did HND first and had real problems with SAAS who couldn't believe I'd lived there a year (qualifying time) because during that time I was employed by an English company (what century are they living in?) Sorted in the end. Went on to OU and did tell them when moved back down South, reasoning was cost of getting course boos down and this was the main one up til then the units had had face to face tutorials (which was good) wanted to be able to keep being able to attend...turns out every unit since has been online tutorial anyway...Also found student support Edinburgh better than student support Milton Keynes

    cant remember residency proof bit sorry
    joebloggs69 and Throbbing Angel like this.
  16. equationgirl

    equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

    Loads of people do that and pay well over the odds for such properties. Has caused issues in certain areas as housing market is now priced out of reach of many locals.
    Pickman's model likes this.
  17. joebloggs69

    joebloggs69 Member

    Thanks, but I cant make head nor tail of that! Lucky I’m not considering a law degree.

    The thing is though: does this legislation apply to OU if I am paying out of my own pocket anyway? I’m not applying for any help.
  18. joebloggs69

    joebloggs69 Member

    Yeah they do say materials can be sent to any address in the uk, doesn’t have to be your “main residence”. I presume many people travel around for work etc and study OU part time.

    But as far as I can see the length of residence thing is for SAAS or bricks and mortar uni’s, whereas the OU don’t seem to care how long you’ve been there, as long as it is currently your “main and legal address”.
  19. BoatieBird

    BoatieBird Well-Known Member

    If you're planning on studying an OU science degree you'll find that a lot of modules are entirely online these days so there won't be any course books.
    joebloggs69 likes this.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice