On what occasion / event did you shoot the most photos?

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by weltweit, Aug 17, 2019.

1. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I frequently come across photographers who shoot hundreds or thousands of images at an event, sometimes because of lots of bursts, sometimes because they take many of the same scene perhaps, I thought a question was there, on what occasion did you shoot the most images? and how many images was it?

For me, normally when I go out to a short photo opportunity I might shoot between 30 and 100 images, and I don't normally take more than a couple of each thing.

The last time I went to a motor-sports event I was panning motorbikes as they came past me and I switched on burst mode, but still I doubt I took more than 200 on that outing.

For me there was just one event that had me taking more than about 200 images and I might tell you about that after I see some other people's responses first :)

So, what do you reckon?

muscovyduck likes this.
  2. weltweit

Actually there was another occasion, a friend asked me to take candid photos at her wedding because she wasn't going to have a professional photographer there, I must have taken a few hundred there at least.

muscovyduck likes this.
  3. a_chap

a_chap When the world came apart, where were you?

When I used to go to Formula 1 events (races and tyre testing) I'd regularly shoot 30 or so rolls of 36 exp. Slide and negatives, colour and monochrome.

The daftest was one time trying to shoot F1 cars using a roll of mono ISO 3200 on an extremely sunny day in July :facepalm:

muscovyduck, gawkrodger and weltweit like this.
  4. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

Festivals. I can take 600 photos over 10 days at Glastonbury.

muscovyduck, editor and weltweit like this.
  5. weltweit

:)
    Presumably it was quite an expense getting all the film developed? Did you have to get prints before deciding which to use? or did you get some kind of contact sheets? I assume a_chap this was work of some kind no?

My largest number was also motorsport, it was the 24 hours of Le Mans during which I shot about 900 images (digital) my memory cards were so tiny I had to repair to a buddy's car to upload them onto my laptop in quieter moments.

6. weltweit

Aha, yes I imagine Glastonbury is probably quite a "target rich" environment :D

wiskey likes this.
  7. a_chap

I found it was cheaper to put all the rolls through a high-street developer then to get contact sheets made.

No, a hobby. But I did sell photos (not F1 tho) which offset the cost occasionally.

weltweit likes this.
  8. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

Yes, should point out that I'm massively limited by power constraints and I tend to go through of an evening and delete the rubbish ones - so the 600 are what I feel are worth taking home to edit.

muscovyduck likes this.
  9. weltweit

No "trueprint" for you then :) I used to love them, mind you my photos back then were universally crap!

I don't recall you often posting photos in here a_chap? Do you not do it so much these days? or is there another reason we don't see so many images from you?

10. a_chap

When I finally realised I was never going to be a great photographer it destroyed my enthusiasm for it. These days I just take "snaps"; it's a lot less stressful than trying to create perfect images.

11. weltweit

Aha, yes I used to delete a lot in camera but that was because my cards were very small. At the moment I have a 16G card which I have yet to fill and I am considering adding a couple or much larger cards so memory should never be an issue for me again :)

12. weltweit

Oh ok, still a shame to lose a good hobby. It has only ever been a hobby for me, although I wouldn't mind creating some images that would sell. Are you digital now a_chap?

13. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Foot's on the other hand

I have been known to do a bit of 'lens hunting' on safari in South Africa...Can easily do hundreds a day, tho probably reduces down to 5-10% actual unique/worth-keeping shots.

14. weltweit

Hi Ted, you are another from whom we don't often see photos? I can imagine being on Safari you often will get unique situations where it is better to shoot quite a lot rather than risk only a few and none being keepers. There were a couple in one of my camera clubs whose photos were mainly from Safari's they caught some special sights and I always enjoyed looking at their images.

I would say that 5-10% is a pretty good keeper rate. I often return from a session and find that I only have one proper keeper, and as long as I get at least one I am happy. What was that quote from Ansel Adams, something like it had been a good year if he had 12 keepers :D

Ted Striker likes this.
  15. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

I have to confess I've put my camera down in favour of my phone this last year.

16. weltweit

Phone cameras are getting better and better. The camera on my Nokia isn't very good but I expect to have a new smartphone shortly which should rectify this.

17. weltweit

Actually I just took a look back, I only took 115 photos at that wedding. And at the Le Mans race just 400 remain on my HD (perhaps I deleted a lot, can't remember) but anyhow I shot quite a bit less than I thought I had.

18. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

I just take snaps and feel uncomfortable even being on this forum. But for the record, took rather a lot at Angkor Wat.

And your 'burst' thing reminded me of 2 weeks ago on that 60mph wind day. Tried to take one picture of the sea near St David's and found 37 shots on burst. Didn't even know about burst before that.

muscovyduck and weltweit like this.
  19. weltweit

I don't know why you would feel uncomfortable on this forum, you have as much a right as anyone else!

Care to share a few of your images of Angkor Wat?

:)

20. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

I've never really been an enthusiastic stills snapper, though I shoot moving image for a living, but lately I've been giving it a right old go and enjoying it.

I've been particularly digging travel photography, but the thing is, I feel like having a camera even dangling around my neck puts a big barrier between me and the people I'm interacting with. So I limit my snaps to designated 'photography sessions' and just enjoy myself the rest of the time. I subsequently miss a *lot* of pictures, but I feel like I experience a great deal more than I otherwise would have.

muscovyduck likes this.
  21. weltweit

Hi alsoknownas, what kind of moving image do you make?

As to having a camera putting a barrier I do recognise that also, especially when it is hanging in front of me. I often put my left arm through the strap and hang it at my side which seems to reduce the effect somewhat.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  22. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Mostly client based films (at the moment I'm filming London's hidden underground locations for example).
    A lot of my gear is stills friendly, so it's a good way for me to learn and hobby.

I took a few snaps in India recently, but I found that even just having a camera out, regardless of how I mounted it, changed people's level of comfort around me.

Ordinarily I'm pretty good at blending in when I want to (which is usually always for me as a traveller) , but a camera tends to stick out like a sore thumb!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    weltweit likes this.
  23. weltweit

Sounds like interesting subject matter, I usually find images interesting if the photographer is immersed and knowledgeable in their subject - pretty much no matter what the subject is!

Never been to India, would probably be worried about getting stomach upsets :) But I do know that people sometimes feel less than comfortable when it is possible you could use them as subjects against their will.

There is a quite developed portraits scene in the UK which pairs up keen photographers and willing models, often on an images for time basis with no money changing hands. I forget the websites, but they go as far as glamour / NSFW type models. I think if I get a little more confident I might give that a try.

24. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

I can shoot a few hundred frames at a protest on digital but I don't get anything more out of it than if I shot film (where I would shoot a maximum of three rolls and most often one or two).

In fact having used everything from mirrorless digital that will do 30fps bursts to full manual film rangefinders has really made me appreciate that the ability to take more photos faster is not an advantage for the stuff I do. If you are used to it, you can take a shot with a Leica as fast as you can with an autofocus autoexposure camera, in fact sometimes faster and better (Leicas have super low shutter lag and you prefocus). You can't do bursts but a burst just means you end up with a half dozen almost identical photos that you didn't really think about - sure, one of them is going to be better than the others, but in practice they're all pretty similar, plus if you weren't shooting bursts you'd concentrate more on getting the decisive moment anyway.

It is nice not to have to change rolls but even that does focus the mind. I have 36-38 shots now before I have to take a pause before I shoot more... now I'm getting to the end of the roll, so I have to be careful and know my subject and predict whether something interesting is going to happen soon after this (so I finish the roll now and change it) or whether I am likely to be just taking a few random shots every now and then.

With really fast action I can see it's a necessity - sports for instance, eg basketball moves so fast that it's physically impossible to see the action and press the shutter and take the picture before the action is over. You'd have to be pretty experienced to be able to predict exactly what was going to happen and hit the shutter just at the right moment. But I don't shoot much sports and I don't find it useful for me.

I'm not doing a "film vs digital" thing here - of course there are huge workflow advantages to digital for a start plus most people don't have film scanners - but it's been interesting to compare the differences. Digital tech has expanded the group of people who can take protest shots and made them far easier to distribute, but I don't think you could say it's produced photos that are _better_, apart from simply by access.

alsoknownas and weltweit like this.
  25. weltweit

Well one thing has come from this is that I am going to buy some big memory cards. At the mo I only have 1 X 16gb card that came with the camera. I am yet to fill it but it would be nice not to have to worry about capacity again.

26. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

If you come anywhere near filling a 16 gig on one occasion you are definitely taking too many photos.

27. weltweit

I can't do the math but a 12 bit raw is 30mb I think i can get a good few hundred on the card.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  28. weltweit

I guess you are saying that your keepers are not a bigger % with digital?

I know some sports shooters wanting for example a tennis ball in contact with a raquet during a match, these sorts of photographers favour fast bursts.

Yes I think sports is a good environment for fast burst. My kit is not intended for this though, I think I have a 4/s burst rate. Still I have used it for motorbike racing just shooting 3-4 shots to cover the peak of the action.

Well one of my favourite photos is a portrait of my late dad, shot with a Mamiya MF camera. Perhaps because of sentimentality but also the quality of the image is sublime, it isn't a quality I have managed to achieve with my digital gear yet anyhow.

29. weltweit

Speaking to a professional wildlife photographer last week and they confirmed they shoot hundreds and thousands of photos on location of wildlife subjects, hummingbirds in flight, monkeys etc.

So after a shoot / visit he has thousands of images, when he gets back he loads these into lightroom, reviews each subject as thumbnails, selects a small number of each set, reviews in full size, selects half a dozen of the best to keep and simply deletes the rest!

I need larger memory cards :)

muscovyduck likes this.