On Decorating a new house - Ins and Outs, Dos and Don'ts.

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by FabricLiveBaby!, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Epona

Epona Down with battered parsnips

Aye, you don't want to end up resenting your walls because you did them once in white and then decided to paint them a different colour after a few weeks.

Magnus McGinty likes this.
  2. Gaia

Gaia Autistic. No Spoons. There's NEVER any spoons!

My parents house is, well I call it Magnolia Manor; they had the kitchen extended a few years back, and the guy they got in to do it asked me if my mother would murder him if he painted the three new doors green (she wanted them done in white gloss), I told him most likely yes, but he did so anyway (Soft Sage from the Dulux (I think) trade chart). Predictably, she freaked out, but he told her to give it a couple of weeks and, if she still hated them, he'd repaint them at no cost. Predictably, when he returned to finish off the plumbing she admitted they'd grown on her. :rolleyes:

Point is, I find living somewhere with white/off-white walls depressing, but I'm a colour freak. You could always have a 'feature' wall in one colour and then paint the rest white. Something natural, like green, would be easy to live with. Dulux has an app which offers suggestions on neutrals to tone with a feature colour.

How about this as a feature colour, maybe in the living room…? Find a colour | Dulux, you could then paint the other walls in a softer green, or a pinkish white. Go with what you like, and paint a few squares of various colours on the walls so you get the idea of what they'll look like in different lights. If I had my own place, this is what I'd have in the bathroom: Azure Sky 2 but, like I said, order some testers, and paint swatches on the walls, the other thing you could do is find furniture that you like and match the paint with that.

muscovyduck and FabricLiveBaby! like this.
  3. Epona

I am doing somewhere up to sell (well I want to sell the flat I live in!), so my perspective is different and bland is good - white walls, white ceilings, almost having to make it look like no-one lives here - but if you want bright colours for somewhere you are going to live in then of course go for it! Having one wall bright and the rest white/off-white is a good halfway point if having all your walls fluorescent green or something along those lines is going to be too much :D

4. Gaia

Gaia Autistic. No Spoons. There's NEVER any spoons!

It isn't fluorescent green, and I wasn't suggesting she paint the whole room that colour!;) Yes, if you're selling, then neutrals are the way to go but, having lived in a place where just about every single wall is white, or cream or magnolia, YMMV but, personally, I find it extremely depressing. An all-white house has no personality.

5. Rutita1

Rutita1 Sassy McFlashy

Well yeah, I doubt anyone here would disagree. In fact the general view has been more about painting white/neutral as a starting point/undercoat whilst you move n, get to know the space and light and dynamics in terms of where your furniture fits etc and then bring appropriate features and colours in. :oldthumbsup:

6. Epona

Oh god yeah that was my point, really - if you're living somewhere for the long term you do it how you want to, whatever makes you happy. I am not sure green walls would make me happy, but I am not living there - you are, so do what works for you :)

7. AnnO'Neemus

AnnO'Neemus Is so vanilla

As well as Pinterest, the Apartment Therapy website's good for interior design ideas.
    Apartment Therapy

8. AnnO'Neemus

AnnO'Neemus Is so vanilla

Invest in a decent bed/mattress. And sofa if you can afford it. But check out things like Facebook marketplace or the Polish equivalent of Gumtree or Craig's list for second-hand table and chairs or wardrobes (or bedframes if you're just buying a new mattress) . Also check out charity shops and vintage fairs. You can pick up some bargains if you look. And, yes, Ikea's good for relatively inexpensive basics that you can upgrade later. TK Maxx is good for high quality bedding at bargain prices when they have a sale on.

9. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

Yep. It's hard to change from a dark colour to a light one, whereas the other way round is easy (and not hard to do yourself, esp if you're not changing the colour of the ceiling or skirting boards). It sounds like a decent sized house though, so it would be possible to experiment with colour in a room or two while leaving the rest white to do later.

10. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

If you’re planning on anything more complicated than decorating (ie anything structural), I would recommend you find some way of talking the plan through in depth with those with experience of it if you can. I sure as hell wish I had, because we then had to make decisions I never knew we’d have to make in a really short time frame and we made some mistakes as a consequence. Our builders were pretty good but not the best at communicating these things in advance.

And if you are planning on building new doorways and you’re in any way fussy about the look of the doors, buy the doors first then use that to set the size of the frame. I’d naively assumed doors were just of standard size. They’re not. Now I’m six months post-build and our en suite still doesn’t have a door because we can’t find one we like that is the right size for the frame.

11. baldrick

baldrick ooooh timewarp

I think a new build is pretty exciting tbh. Has everything been already fitted or do you get to pick your kitchen, bathroom, carpets, tiles etc?

12. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Get one made by a joiner. If it helps we had a quote for hardwood internal doors, £650 each (!), we probably won't be doing that as we need eight of the things, but whatever.

13. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

That’s what we’ve been trying for. But it needs to match some antique doors, so it has to be a bloody good joiner using just the right wood. This has turned out to be harder to find than anticipated...

14. bellaozzydog

bellaozzydog rolling turds in glitter

I was working on the principle of “live in it for a while” before starting to put your own flavour/touch on a house.........

Two and a half years later and the only thing that has changed is the colour of the carpet :D

Pinterest is excellent for ideas/inspiration

AnnO'Neemus likes this.
  15. FabricLiveBaby!

FabricLiveBaby! Live Baby Fabric!

Ok guys, so here's the floor plan that I promised earlier. Sans address. We've decided to brick up the door in room number 8 and then knock down the wall between room 8 and 9 to make the area less pokey, brigthter and allow space for a walk in wardrobe. Fuck knows what we're going to do with the upstairs bedroom. It has a roof terrace/large balcony but no door. Might make it the art/music/guest bedroom but we're really not sure.

lokal6.jpg

As you can see the downstairs is a huge open plan area, but bare in mind that new builds in Poland don't even come with kitchens or bathrooms, no floors, nothing. Most people here when they move into a place they set a large budget back for renovations. Most banks even give you a "renovation/decorating loan" on top of your mortgage.

We saved some of our deposit budget back and we have about 20k pounds to play with or 100,000pln. That doesn't sound like much but that cash gets you a looong way in Poland.

This might be a point of interest.. Ikea in Poland is known as expensive, chique, designer, luxury even (I know). It's considered a status symbol to be able to shop there, but frankly I think it's not worth it. The Polish designers/kitchen fitters etc work in the same way, and come out a lot cheaper and often better quality than ikea/OBI (which is the B&Q equivalent). There are some awsome flea markets in Krakow which I might have a potter around in to pick up some ideas.

There's just sooo much choice everywhere.

16. Flipstick

Flipstick Bargain basement Helen Mirren

The attachment won't open for me :(, anyone else having the same problem?

17. FabricLiveBaby!

FabricLiveBaby! Live Baby Fabric!

should work now.

Flipstick likes this.
  18. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

Try approaching it from the opposite angle, what don't you like or want? Might be easier to discard some choices on those grounds first.

My home is coming together slowly over time. I'd rather wait for the right thing than buy something in a rush. Plus I can't afford it. I have a mix of things from IKEA, old things from charity shops and some pieces my dad made.

muscovyduck likes this.
  19. baldrick

baldrick ooooh timewarp

Ah ok so it's just a shell. Interesting! Have a look at Houzz, loads of interior decorating ideas and you can filter by style/colour/period/materials and so on.

FabricLiveBaby! likes this.
  20. Flipstick

Looks fab, I'd love to own a house like that. Currently renting so living in a generous space but paying ££££ of someone else's mortgage. :mad:
    Completely understand now where you are at with combining rooms 8&9 and think that's a brilliant idea.
    At the moment we have 2 living rooms in our rental, one for tv and gaming and one with all of the books and we tend to keep that quiet. Sonos speakers are added through the house whenever we can get anyone to buy them as combined Christmas/birthday presents so we can have musics when we want it. Maybe your top room could be your quiet/chill out/read/play/create room?

equationgirl and FabricLiveBaby! like this.
  21. Epona

When you say the top floor has no door, I take it that the entrance to that bedroom is via the spiral staircase?

If you have sufficient bedrooms on the lower floor, I would totally love that space as a casual den/family room or study area - thinking about my own life, that would be a perfect space for computers, TV, gaming consoles if you have any, just a chill out area (or if your interests are different, a table tennis table, or a hobby room)- it looks as though it would be awesome for that sort of use, and the lack of a door for privacy wouldn't be an issue.

If you *did* need that as a bedroom, the spiral staircase isn't central so it might be possible to create the illusion of privacy (by which I mean blocking off that staircase with walls and a door could well be unrealistic, but something involving arrangement of furniture items and/or room dividers so a bed isn't visible from the staircase could well be doable if need be) - what are the dimensions of the room?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 4:45 AM
    AnnO'Neemus likes this.
  22. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

That upper room looks like it'd be lovely for a library or something. Maybe not music because you wouldn't be able to shut the door to keep the noise down, but it depends on your lifestyle whether that would cause a problem.

23. baldrick

baldrick ooooh timewarp

Yeah a nice quiet reading/working space would be lovely on that top floor.

How warm will it get in the summer though? That's the only thing that might kibosh plans. I know our top floor (converted loft space) gets very hot in warm weather. You might need to think about additional ventilation or AC.

24. Epona

It has to be said, a south facing aspect with double glazing sounds great on paper, but it is horrendous in summer - I could probably use my place to make jerky or something in the summer months. It would be fine if I didn't have pets trying to nosedive out of the windows, I'd be able to have them open more.

On the flip side, my gas bill for the entire year is less than £100 and I only put the heating on for about 3 or 4 days a year when it is really parky.

25. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

I am much more adventurous with colour than Mr Shakes. When we bought our first joint house he wanted it very neutral - 18 months later it was repainted much more boldly. Can you get the whole place undercoated in white so it looks clean and then wait a little while to settle in before painting properly?
    Does Poland have big Christmas retail sales? If so, eye up your big ticket items like bed and sofa and hold out for sales if you can. Those are worth spending money on, especially the bed

AnnO'Neemus and Flipstick like this.
  26. Flipstick

Could you fit louvered or perforated Moroccan style shutters Epona?

27. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

And if you end up moving in quite a bit before Christmas sales, you can buy cheaper sofa/bed and then use for spare room/music room once you uograde

AnnO'Neemus likes this.
  28. Epona

3 floors up and my windows open inwards, that is a firm no unfortunately

29. Cid

Cid 嗯嗯

Aren't you in Surrey? Should be plenty around... It doesn't sound that hard of a job, try googling restoration/conservation/listed building joiners.

30. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

Decorating/furnishing sounds like my worst nightmare, which is why I shall always rent so I don't even have to think about it.