OMFG! Hasselblad X1D 50C

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by Stanley Edwards, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral.

Just OMFG! Have just had a glimpse through the glass of a display cabinet this morning and immediately sort a lottery ticket before looking at a Huawei P20 Pro and matching laptop for a 10th of the price.

Hasselblad X1D-50c

LEICA have put their name to the P20 Pro camera technology. Will Hasselblad survive with nothing to offer other than dreams?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

3. Stanley Edwards

First time I have seen a real one. €10K

OMFG!

Then again, I guess in relative terms they have always been that expensive. Do you still need one to be a real wedding photographer I wonder?

4. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

I've never seen one in action, though I have seen Fuji and I think Pentax MF digitals being used. They've always seemed massive overkill to me tbh, certainly for a wedding. Full frames are so good these days plus much lighter and easier to use for candids. I'm sure some people will use them, but there's always someone using some random thing for weddings.

5. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

The only time I've ever seen a Hasselblad digital used in anger was by a rather posh, arty couple who had been hired to document a festival.

He had his one in a gimball, so I presume was shooting video, whilst she was on stills. Pictures were nice but none were used at much above HD resolution.

We are forbidden any more Hasselblads at work - One of my colleagues fought long and hard to get one but his then junior, who is now my boss, promptly dropped it from some height. Oops :oops: :D

6. Stanley Edwards

I think they were technical overkill beyond a formal all and everyone group portrait, or bride and groom to be printed large and skilfully. If you ask many older wedding pro's they will admit that using MF gave them the advantage of being seen as THE Professional to be watched and instructions followed when 35mm became affordable and easy to everyone.

It is primarily where most saw the name and earned Hasselblad the reputation of professionals choice. This read as ' The best' and was worth a fortune for the brand. Nikon and Canon 'recognised' this and it wasn't long before pro's had Nikon/Canon wielding assistants and a second smaller camera themselves.

Yet, it was landscape where MF (or, larger resolution) excelled. Landscape and advertising. The public never saw the camera being used then. This isn't where the respected brands made their names and consequently money.

Much more to it than resolution. I like the 50,000,000 simply because it matches a human eye.

For 1K I'll take the 48mp camera phone and very nice laptop. I think Hasselblad need to change quickly to get back into the wedding scene.

The day of smartphone wedding professionals is actually already here. The skill, vision, personality and technical knowhow get the €10,000+ a day jobs now. They may dangle a Nikon or, 3 from their necks, but a Samsung, or Huawei will always be at hand also throughout the 10 hour day shooting.

7. FridgeMagnet

When I saw the one being used at work it was for shots that were undoubtedly going out on social and wouldn’t even be remembered in a week’s time, let alone printed to the size of a house and pored over with a loupe. I did feel like tapping the photographer on the shoulder and saying “excuse me but what the fuck”. But that’s by no means the most ridiculous thing to happen.

Stanley Edwards likes this.
  8. Stanley Edwards

A brand name is a very strange thing. Trying to think if I would actually give a fuck today. As a ready to take on the World 21 year old, I absolutely needed Zeiss lenses.

Yes. In all honesty I still want it. They caught me early. If I had the cash...

:(

9. FridgeMagnet

It's certainly the case that there's a lot more to camera choice than performance, and that hasn't changed. IMO there are noticeable differences between how MF film renders skin tones vs 35mm that go beyond "increased detail", but even given that, having classy gear still gives you cachet and that affects how people respond to you as a professional. So there will be people now who want "the best" and hire photographers with Hasselblads - though they would also likely be impressed by someone with a Leica, say. But also people increasingly want some element of quirkiness or individuality now that sheer image quality is so easy to achieve, so I don't think it will ever dominate.

I don't do weddings but I see this a lot when I'm out doing street and photojournalism - the response from everyone is different depending on how they view your camera. I can take basically the same shot with a pocket micro 4/3 camera as with a honking great full frame DSLR but the context will be different because people see me differently. Personally I like to mess around with camera choice (I'm not getting paid so I don't care) and shoot film SLRs or Polaroids or whatever when the "pros" all have their D810s or A7s with 24-70 and 70-210.

10. Stanley Edwards

I really don't like the look of big full frame DSLR's. It is almost like they have been compromised with ugliness to look more like a professional work tool.

As far as weddings go...

You have to look at the way those with the big money weddings are choosing their photographers today.