Olympus PEN-F Micro Four Thirds camera

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by grosun, Jan 27, 2016.

1. grosun

grosun wicket tunes

Wow, looks really nice (though very pricey initially). Kind of like an e-p5 with a built-in viewfinder, a few extra controls plus a slightly-upgraded sensor. I'll be happy with my e-p5 for quite a while, I think, but this will give me slight envy:

The mighty PEN: Hands-on with Olympus PEN-F

2. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

Looks very similar to my fuji xe-1

3. grosun

grosun wicket tunes

Yeah, they've clearly noticed that explicitly retro designs are very popular at the moment, & I guess leatherette makes for a nicely grippy camera body. It's a shame there seems to be no grip on the front whatsoever though.

4. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

There's an optional grip apparently.

It does seem to be aiming for the Fuji market, or maybe a slightly more consumerish one. It seems basically like an OM-D with rangefinder styling—specs are pretty much the same from what I can see. Not that that makes a bad camera, but it shows that they're competing there rather than against e.g. the GX8. The style of the Olympus page - PEN-F - PEN - Digital Cameras | Olympus - does seem to bear that out, with lots of stuff about "vintage style" and accessories.

It's had relatively massive publicity, I've seen a dozen-odd reviews and previews and announcements all over the shop without even looking for them. Olympus does have a good PR department.

5. FridgeMagnet

[​IMG]

for anyone too lazy to click through to any of the articles.

£1,000 as a body-only launch price is expensive even compared to other absurd camera launch prices.

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Summary of reviews:

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I don't think I like it that much. That art filter control on the front would never get used for starters.

9. FridgeMagnet

I'm not really sure who it's supposed to be _for_. The marketing seems mostly about how cool it is; lots of people have said that the feature set seems biased towards social media users, with filter effects, in camera JPEG editing etc. But a grand's worth of camera is a lot for that when you can get, for example, an OM-D for less. Perhaps they're hoping it will be picked up by "influencers" in the social media photography world who will popularise it?

BTW it looks small in the ads but actually it isn't particularly (for mirrorless anyway). They seem to have used a model with big hands. Size-wise it's between the GX7 and the GX8—people have done overlay pictures.

10. FridgeMagnet

I've decided that I prefer EVFs in this rangefinder style incidentally so that would be a selling point for me. Maybe I just have a big nose but I find I bump into the screen a lot less with them in that position, which is significant if you've got the touchscreen on.

11. grosun

grosun wicket tunes

Yeah, having a dedicated control for something I'd never make use of, which (unusually for Olympus) can't be reconfigured to do something more useful would be pretty irritating, particularly given that it looks as though it might get in the way of the right hand.

12. grosun

grosun wicket tunes

looks to be pretty similar in size to the GX7 from this Compact Camera Meter and that site's pretty accurate in my experience.

Yeah, the marketing pitch seems pretty odd, given the price of the thing. Surely there can't be that many casual users with huge wads of money burning holes in their pockets. Tbh it's mostly the art control filter which is annoying, as the rest of it could be written off as just promotional fluff on top of a basically competent camera, but to have that end-user image infect the functionality is offputting to me. A shame, as I agree about preferring to have the viewfinder offset, & I prefer Olympus bodies to Panasonic for a variety of reasons; mostly IBIS, ability to customise to a ridiculous degree, and if i'm honest a certain amount of emotional attachment thanks to loving my old OM film camera for a long time.

13. Pingu

Pingu Credo

got my sister one of these for christmas and shes loving it. she wanted something inbetween a "noob" camera and a ful on DSLR and this, apparently, fits the bill perfectly

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm still not convinced but Dpreview are feeling the love:
    History Repeating: Olympus PEN-F Review

15. Pingu

Pingu Credo

my sister is starting to feel the effects of the compromise although she is still quite happy with the olympus.

we went to take some pics of the liverpool waterfront over the weekend and she found herself changing lenses a fair bit between the "pancake" one and the 150mm zoom. its a bit of an unfair comparison tbh but the difference between teh quality of teh images from my 40d and 5d compared to the olympus were quite stark.

having said this though she was carrying MUCH less kit than i was although it doesn't bother me as i just use a backpack. I think as a travel camera it has a lot to offer over a compact but if yo are looking for something "serious" then its too much of a compromise

16. Pingu

Pingu Credo

the camera group i belong to had an evening on Yns Mon hosted by olympus this week. tbf there are some stunning shots coming out of it. having said this there are some seriously good photographers involved too so they could probably get a decent shot using a box brownie

editor likes this.
  17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The 150mm zoom isn't the greatest (and that's reflected by its price) but if you stick a decent prime lens, m43 can produce very high quality photos - that's why more profesionals are using them as travel cameras. My OM-D certainly produces far better images than my old Nikon D300.

18. grosun

grosun wicket tunes

Some examples of what you can get out with a really good lens. Amazing photos, but god that lens is expensive though!
    Robin Wong: South Africa Wildlife Shooting with Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS PRO Lens

editor likes this.
  19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Enthusiastic review of a s/hand Olympus Pen-F