Olympus E-M1X launches 24th Jan 2019 - it's a hefty camera for sports pros

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by editor, Jan 3, 2019.

1. editor

editor Forked with electrons

Olympus are going for the sports market and it's a BIG camera.

Rumoured specs:

2. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Out of my league on price. But not aimed at me anyhow.
    I expect it will be a good camera.
    Wonder how many memory card slots?
    18fps seems crazy fast :)
    I bet it has Oly standards of environmental sealing.

3. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Shitting hell, the up-to-date rumoured specs on this look insane! We are living in an age of crazy cameras!
    As per eoshd.com

Interior ND! :eek:

4. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

6 more fps and you've got full sensor video!

5. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Mad era for semi-pro video (and hybrid) cameras:

Fuji X-T3
    Nikon Z6
    Panasonic GH5(S)
    Sony A7III
    Blackmagic PCC4K

All stunning cameras for video!

Also the Canon EOS-R, which gets slated, but actually looks very useful imo, and now this Oly too! Plus Panny FF, and who knows what else to come (Sony A7S III?).

6. editor

7. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

Interesting. It does sound like they’re trying to incorporate a lot of smart modes, which is where I see m43 and mirrorless really going now that phones are doing so much work there, but also that they’re not quite there yet.

8. editor

Imagine a weather-sealed Ricoh GR with the Pixel 3 AI gubbins inside.

TAKE MY MONEY!

9. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

“Proper Camera People” sneer at the automation that goes into some compacts, “for the selfie generation” etc, but tbh a compact with the ease of use and smartness of a phone and the advantages of a proper sensor and lens and better physical design is exactly what I want. The GX800 that I got recently is really good for that.

editor likes this.
  10. editor

It's not a camera I'm interested in but it's good to see Olympus trying something a bit different. Here's the first reviews:

Dpreview:

“An inherent benefit of a smaller sensor is that it has less inertia, making it easier to provide stabilization. This is borne-out with a frankly astonishing rating of 7EV, even before you consider the 7.5EV it’ll achieve with the 12-100mm F4. There are footnotes to all these claims, of course, and we tend to find we don’t experience quite the number that CIPA testing promises, but this system is seriously good from what we’ve experienced so far.”

Digitalcameraworld:

“If size isn’t a factor, this is undoubtedly the ultimate Micro Four Thirds camera. And, if you ignore the narrative about sensor size, this is arguably the ultimate mirrorless camera, period.”

Robin Wong:

“To me, I appreciate the significant improvement in AF, both in general S-AF in all situations, as well as vastly more efficient extreme low light AF. This upgrade alone can make or break the deal in some very challenging shooting scenarios. For motorsports shooters, the new subject tracking mode may just make your life so much better with automatic subject detection and tracking, which proved to work very efficiently.”

LCEgroup:

The E-M1X is an extremely well-built device, with some excellent handling and some very strong features, particularly in terms of its image stabilisation, burst shooting and video. For those sports and wildlife shooters with an investment in Micro Four Third glass, it’s going to be a very tempting proposition. That smaller sensor size will likely deter some professionals still, but the ability to utilise a smaller and more lightweight system and still get serious telephoto reach may appeal to others.

11. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I like this camera, however it is too expensive for me, and I still can't get my head around the idea that its sensor size is going to be as good as my 36mpx FF sensor in my D800. If I could have the sensor of my D800 in the sealed body of this unit, used for £900 I would jump on it.