old routemasters

Discussion in 'transport' started by hash tag, Apr 9, 2014.

1. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

passenger likes this.
  2. Bungle73

Bungle73 I was there, now I'm here Banned

They are still running RMs on a couple of "Heritage" routes. Actually, it might be one route now as I heard they are withdrawing them on one, but I'm not sure when.

http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/whats-on/events/events-calendar

The ever popular Aldwych stations tours are sold out already I see. Did one of these winter before last. Then we got free access to the Museum thrown in, but I see now all you get is 50% off.

3. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat put on an iron shirt, chase santa out of earth

There will be RT buses (the sort before the Routemaster, designed in the late 30s, mainly built 1947-54 as production was delayed by the war) running as extras on the Homerton - Piccadilly Circus bit of what used to be route 22 (now the 242-ish) this Saturday (12 April) to mark the 75th anniversary this year of them first entering service.

These -

[​IMG]

They will run approx every 10 minutes between Shoreditch and Piccadilly Circus and it will be free travel, with the exception of RT 1 (the first one, built in 1939*.) which will be £ 10 a go, and probably over-subscribed.

More info including timetable here.

There is then an associated event at Brooklands (London Bus Museum - not to be confused with the London Transport Museum) on Sunday (13 April)

* - just in case anyone really pedantic argues, what now runs as RT1 is the 1939 body on a later chassis.

telbert likes this.
  4. Roadkill

Roadkill Well-Known Member

Were I still in London I'd go on that - I've never been on an RT.

I (used to) enjoy the heritage routes, and I'm glad at least some of the old Routemasters have remained in service, but they'd had their day in mainstream service by the time they were finally withdrawn.

5. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

I fuckin love them and am not a bus fanatic either. was offered one for a couple of grand in the 90s and the mrs knocked it on the head using the cleverly worded argument " so where are you going to keep it then ? "

Sigmund Fraud likes this.
  6. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

I used to get the No. 9 each morning from Charing Cross to the Albert Hall. There's no better way to see London than hanging out the back of a Routemaster on a bright Spring morning.

clicker and Onket like this.
  7. Puddy_Tat

Hull was one of the many places that had second-hand RTs in the 1960s (picture here) although the ones in Hull were from St Helens not London.

8. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

I did the run to Hackney Central - very enjoyable and full - failed to get one back (full !) - worth doing for the huge interest they created from the general public ! People doing double takes all over - and even a few normal pax used them ....! Nice day out.

9. Roadkill

I didn't know that. I do remember the Routemasters that East Yorkshire Motor Services had running in Hull in the early 90s, though.

[​IMG]

The blue livery really suits it, IMO. It was the same story as in many other cities - bus deregulation gave an advantage to buses with conductors that could pick people up at stops more quickly than one-person-operated buses, so buying Routemasters was an obvious move. EYMS bought eight for busy inner-city routes. They've still got one, now converted to open-top for summer services in Scarborough, but the rest are long gone. So is the horrible old bus station shown in this picture, thankfully.

10. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix Life as viewed from a Gay Gorbals Garret

I often thought buy one so you could drive to work. You could have parked it on any of the bus stands in central London.

11. Wolveryeti

Wolveryeti Young Lethargio

And it would certainly be hard to tow!

12. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Spitalfields life blog has a very full description of the events...

Can't seem to copy and paste it on here ....

13. Puddy_Tat

This is probably the definitive calendar of UK bus events.

The 'News' page here tends to list London /surrounding area events.

Next London area events are -

Sunday 4 May - bus running day based on Harlow

Bank Hol 5 May - additional service on the 'heritage' 9 / 15 routes in central London

Saturday 10 May - 'open day' at Catford bus garage

Sunday 18 May - bus running day based on Sevenoaks

14. Roadkill

On the subject of RTs, taken this evening:

[​IMG]

It's for a film - shooting through the night tonight, apparently. An old mate of mine is involved in this: I wonder if he could sort me out a ride. :D

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  15. Puddy_Tat

My inner pedant is trying to remember if those two liveries would ever have been seen together on the streets...

:p

the bus in front is RT 8, this is it as it returned from the USA in 2006

[​IMG]

16. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I was at a bus/transport rally a. Few days ago at detling. There were many different classes of bus and a few giving free rides

17. krtek a houby

krtek a houby how's it going to end?

Check out the next open day at the Acton Depot Transport Museum; we got to see loads of the lovely old vehicles last time they opened their doors.

18. Roadkill

I've just had a ride on this:

[​IMG]

It's a 1956 AEC Regent, part of East Yorkshire's heritage fleet. I took this pic when I spotted it coming up Brook Street, then went over to the bus station to see what it was all about. Turns out it's running a shuttle service to the Old Town for the Edwardian Easter event at the Streetlife Museum, so it would have been rude not to have a ride! :D

For anyone anoraky enough to notice the odd shape of the roof, it's one of a batch built specially to fit through Beverley Bar:

[​IMG]

It really wasn't a comfortable journey: the ride's enough to shake your teeth out, it stinks of diesel and it's very noisy. Nor was the driver having an easy time of it since it's got a crash gearbox and no power steering, so he was having to wrestle it round corners, but I was chatting to the conductor who said the crews all like working the old buses, just for the novelty value.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    stethoscope, salem, StoneRoad and 4 others like this.
  19. longdog

longdog What is it you can't face?

How cool is that? :D :thumbs:

plurker likes this.
  20. Puddy_Tat

just a gentle reminder that Catford bus garage open day is this Saturday - 10 May

Also (for those in the south west) there's a vintage bus running day at Taunton this Sunday 11 May - more here

21. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Another little reminder, regent street is closed on Sunday for a display of buses, weather is looking good

22. Puddy_Tat

there is also an open day event at stockwell bus garage tomorrow (sat 21) which will include a vintage bus route or two.

will find a link when i get home.

23. youngian

youngian Well-Known Member

Excellent Routemaster documentary

Apparently Sol Campbell collects Routemasters and has a shed load of them.

24. Puddy_Tat

more about tomorrow's stockwell event here

25. Puddy_Tat

this weekend (12 - 13 July) 'Routemaster 60' event in Finsbury Park, marking 60 years since the first prototype Routemaster appeared. More here.

26. MrSki

MrSki Who am I to say you're wrong

Was around Finsbury Park last night and there were some great buses driving around.

27. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

They are still around today.

I passed Finsbury Park on the bus (not an old one!) yesterday and saw them all lined up in the park. The service they are running is from Manor House to Seven Sisters, I saw two today going along Stamford Hill, looked like a fair number of people on them.

28. rich!

rich! stalin tache

went along to this, ended up getting a routemaster to Seven Sisters!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

29. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

Nice photos.

I must admit, being of a certain age I have travelled on that type of bus many times ( not in London ) so they don't hold quite the novelty for me. They were still running on some of the routes when I first moved to London and I used to get the old routemaster number 19 from Finsbury Park to Angel.

Minnie_the_Minx likes this.
  30. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox

Don't think it's novelty value for many, it's more because they love/loved them, and the freedom you had when using them, not to mention the lovely draught you got on a hot summer's day unlike the buses of today with their huge windows that make you roast.

Mind you, they were a bit nippy in the winter though