1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old 01 dialling code - photos needed

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by hiccup, Jan 8, 2010.

1. hiccup

hiccup King of the Vagabonds

I suppose this is a slightly cheeky request, I've set up this blog:

http://01forlondon.wordpress.com

it's a collection of photos of signs in London that still have the old (pre-1990) 01 dialling code on them. e.g:

[​IMG]

and I wondered if any lovely urban people might know of any signs in London they could either tell me about, or even better, send me a photo of, so I can add them to the blog. I'm only really doing it for my own amusement, so I can't promise any tangible reward other than a credit on the website, but any contributions would be most gratefully received.

Oh, you can follow the blog on Twitter too: @dial01forlondon

/cleared with ed

2. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

i am still looking, only found the one so far, but now I look whenever I am on the bus :D noticed a lot without the 01 code, or the 071 or 0171, 0181 ,081, they seem to have just knocked the 01 off when they changed, and haven't been that arsed about buying any numbers since :D

3. hiccup

Appreciate your efforts so far :)

And yeah, I'm still trying to decide if I should put "implicit" 01s on the blog, e.g. where it just says:

991 3456

4. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

Lina Stores (deli in Brewer Street, Soho) has an 'implied 01' in having a 7 digit phone number painted on the glass above the door.

Are there any phone numbers with exchange NAMES still visible in London?

5. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

That interesting.

If anyone sees any original orange Happy Shoppers let me know too. There's a facebook group dedicated to it.

6. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

[​IMG]

7. thriller

thriller Last of the world's good men Banned

I'll keep an eye out. Sometime I see old dialing codes on shop signs and think it's a sign of failing business that they cannot be even bothered to update the number.

8. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

I think Inca Stores just off Dulwich Road has the orange happy shopper signage still.

9. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

this is already on the site, in that camden town! and it is still open, selling outdoor gear

Attached Files:

10. hiccup

Could mean the opposite. If they're still got an 01 phone number, then they've been in business for at least 20 years.

11. Divisive Cotton

Divisive Cotton Now I just have my toy soldiers

This thread got me thinking of that culture programme called 01 For London which was presented by Richard Jobson

According to his wikipedia entry he was married to Mariella Frostrup during his Skids period, which I didn't know

12. cybertect

cybertect It's grim up north (London)

Pinchin Street, E1

I took this in November 2007, but it was still there a couple of months ago.

[​IMG]

13. DeadManWalking

DeadManWalking Well-Known Member

Damn this thread, I almost missed my bus stop on the way home as I was too busy looking at the shop signs!

14. Herbsman.

Herbsman. Free the Poppy

Thats the way I saw it...

So, if a shop has an 01 number, what do you actually have to dial before the 7 digit number? 020 something?

15. hiccup

Yeah, 020 7 or 020 8

16. Shippou-Sensei

Shippou-Sensei 4:1:2.5

just 020

useually 7 inner 8 outer but techinally just 020 i have a 020 3 number (london number for voip)

17. Herbsman.

Herbsman. Free the Poppy

do you have to judge whether to dial 7 or 8 depending on what area youre in? or if you dial the old number will it say "this number has now changed to...." or would that recorded message be switched off by now and the old number unrecognized?

18. Placid Casual27

Placid Casual27 Gorau Chwarae Cyd Chwarae

But if you're in an 020 7*** area you just dial 7***, no? In work I do that

I like this thread there is a caff in Southwark I walk past I will snap it in the week, I was about to just google it just now before realising the likely futility of that if they have an 01 sign I am unlikely to have to use Flash player for their website

Tangentially, should I let it go more when people say 0207 when it is blatantly 020 etc? Similarly Cardiff (where I am from) is 029 20** **** not 02920. Should I just forget it, am I weird?

Good thread

19. Herbsman.

Herbsman. Free the Poppy

Not if you're on a mobile.

20. cybertect

You always need to dial the full STD code for calls from a mobile, though. The phone doesn't have a geographic number.

21. Herbsman.

Herbsman. Free the Poppy

exactly my point, chap

if youre calling from a mobile how do you know whether to put a 7 or an 8

22. Gavin Bl

Gavin Bl terrible awful baaad

lovely pic, nice one - E1 is full of little spots like that.

23. cybertect

One of Jack The Ripper's murders took place on Pinchin Street...

Oh, hang on, same comment :)

24. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

Here's one in the backstreets of Kings Cross. It reads TER 4577. TER stands for Terminus. I had to zoom in quite a long way to make it legible.

[​IMG]

25. hiccup

Ooh that's cool.

26. PacificOcean

PacificOcean Unhinged User

There is a shop on Ordinance Road in Enfield Lock that still has LEA 4765 .

LEA being Lea Valley - we are 01992 now.

27. Oula

Oula Well-Known Member

There's a very old hairdressers near my parents in New Malden that just has MAL 0891 or something outside it. I can photograph this weekend.

28. hiccup

Think I might have to start a new section on the blog for signs with exchanges on them

29. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Excellent idea !

"HOP" was London Bridge as a starter !

30. hiccup

Noticed another 01 near me (Ealing) the other day. If it stops raining I'll go out and snap it.